ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6x Adult Stendker Discus (6-6.5") - In Eastern Iowa

Real Name
    Jacob

Default 6x Adult Stendker Discus (6-6.5") - In Eastern Iowa

Well, this has been creeping up on me for awhile and I do not part with animals in my care well. Discus, at least at this point in my life, are not for me. I'm going to offer them up on here for free to someone who will hopefully give them the care they deserve. I don't want to try to ship them. I might be getting out of the hobby at least temporarily, but I don't want to turn this thread into a whine-fest. I'm starting to feel a little bit burned out on fish, so I'm thinking moving out the neediest amongst my stock might help. There's no major rush, I'm still caring for them as they should be. They appear to be in good health. The red melon and blue diamond a no longer alive, so these pics are a little big older. I can get more recent pictures, but they don't look any different really.

The solid turquoise had a head infection of some sort some time ago. It has been cleaned up and he seems just fine. It's actually better than the last picture here as it's started to get color back.

Please let me know if you're interested or have questions. They're located in Clinton, IA. I could be convinced to meet within a reasonable drive for me. Can easily meet at the Quad City Fish Swap if anyone happens to be coming to that.

Thanks for looking!
    Jacob

20230902_201121.jpg.9b4be3add50c97c3251ea7c70c7e25f0.jpg

20230902_201116.jpg.e42f3266f5c3f7e2221e28ffa2f5aa57.jpg

DSC_0007c.jpg

DSC_0001c2.jpg

20230214_194748.jpg

20230214_194725.jpg

20230214_194533.jpg

20240206_062738.jpg

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: 6x Adult Stendker Discus (6-6.5") - In Eastern Iowa

Too far away Jacob but am sorry for your decision. But, I also understand.

Real Name
    Brian

I wish I had the space. You're not too far away for me to make the trip!!

Sorry to here Jacob and I wish I could help but I am way out of the way. You do what's best for your situation.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I wish I had the space. You're not too far away for me to make the trip!!
    What if they came with a 90 (that should probably should be resealed)? And a stand for it.

Thanks for the kind words, Frank and Chuck!

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Well, this has been creeping up on me for awhile and I do not part with animals in my care well. Discus, at least at this point in my life, are not for me. I'm going to offer them up on here for free to someone who will hopefully give them the care they deserve. I don't want to try to ship them. I might be getting out of the hobby at least temporarily, but I don't want to turn this thread into a whine-fest. I'm starting to feel a little bit burned out on fish, so I'm thinking moving out the neediest amongst my stock might help. There's no major rush, I'm still caring for them as they should be. They appear to be in good health. The red melon and blue diamond a no longer alive, so these pics are a little big older. I can get more recent pictures, but they don't look any different really.

The solid turquoise had a head infection of some sort some time ago. It has been cleaned up and he seems just fine. It's actually better than the last picture here as it's started to get color back.

Please let me know if you're interested or have questions. They're located in Clinton, IA. I could be convinced to meet within a reasonable drive for me. Can easily meet at the Quad City Fish Swap if anyone happens to be coming to that.

Thanks for looking!
    Jacob

20230902_201121.jpg.9b4be3add50c97c3251ea7c70c7e25f0.jpg

20230902_201116.jpg.e42f3266f5c3f7e2221e28ffa2f5aa57.jpg

DSC_0007c.jpg

DSC_0001c2.jpg

20230214_194748.jpg

20230214_194725.jpg

20230214_194533.jpg

20240206_062738.jpg
    Awweee man,! I hate when we lose a good one. I hope you will still hang around abit Jacob. I've really enjoyed having you here as part of the community. Hate to see you move away from the hobby but we all have been there a time or two...or three. Very Generous offer of some well cared for Discus here.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Awweee man,! I hate when we lose a good one. I hope you will still hang around abit Jacob. I've really enjoyed having you here as part of the community. Hate to see you move away from the hobby but we all have been there a time or two...or three. Very Generous offer of some well cared for Discus here.

al
    Thanks, Al! I do like it here!
    I'll stick around at least periodically. I've been in/out of the hobby multiple times over 25 years or so. I'm thinking moving on from the discus will help act as a pressure relief for the other stuff.
    We're also getting increasingly serious about moving out to the country and that could happen tomorrow if we find the right place. Internalizing what it would take to move a fish room (not to mention EVERYTHING else) is starting to get me thinking hard about what I've got and what I really want. To be honest, it makes me a little sick getting rid of the discus, but it's time. I don't want to get hit with a big apathy bug six months from now and end up with a real mess. They've been fun to watch in their 125 with the ram and the corys, even if that means it's only temporary.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    What if they came with a 90 (that should probably should be resealed)? And a stand for it.

Thanks for the kind words, Frank and Chuck!
    That's a generous and tempting offer, but when I say I have no tank space I mean I have no space for additional tanks. At least not until I make progress on my remodeling project, which after the hail storm last week now includes a new roof, lol...

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    That's a generous and tempting offer, but when I say I have no tank space I mean I have no space for additional tanks. At least not until I make progress on my remodeling project, which after the hail storm last week now includes a new roof, lol...
    What about the discus, the 90/stand, and a pack of shingles?

That sucks, regarding the roof.

Real Name
    Brian

Throw in roof labor and you have a deal!!

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

I understand about being burnt out on fish, over the last 40 years I have been in and out of fish because I was losing interest and needed to concentrate on other things. I am kinda going through that right now thats why I am getting into Neocaridina shrimp. I can spend less time on maintenance and they are pretty much taking care of their own feedings when I am on vacations. It's some thing new that got my attention that I am really liking. I remember getting out of fish for a good 10 years the last time.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Fever View Post
    I understand about being burnt out on fish, over the last 40 years I have been in and out of fish because I was losing interest and needed to concentrate on other things. I am kinda going through that right now thats why I am getting into Neocaridina shrimp. I can spend less time on maintenance and they are pretty much taking care of their own feedings when I am on vacations. It's some thing new that got my attention that I am really liking. I remember getting out of fish for a good 10 years the last time.
    I can meet you in Rochelle next weekend. The discus could help complete the circle of life with your soon-to-be excess shrimp!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

They are gorgeous. 13hr drive is a bit much for me. I know what you mean about tvr hobby taking over. I’ve missed days of work for shipment arrivals, bought way too much stuff, my wife hates the time I spend working on it, and giving the tanks the love they need is time consuming without an automatic water changer. Best of luck!

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    They are gorgeous. 13hr drive is a bit much for me. I know what you mean about tvr hobby taking over. I’ve missed days of work for shipment arrivals, bought way too much stuff, my wife hates the time I spend working on it, and giving the tanks the love they need is time consuming without an automatic water changer. Best of luck!
    Thanks
    I've had a lot of discussions mentally with a lot of this stuff. Financially, there's not really much of a barrier for me, but to be honest, if I added it up and cranked out what that money would be worth sitting in a decent mutual fund compounding for the next 30 years, I'd probably be sick. I'm lucky that work is pretty flexible for me, which I appreciate. It might be the best thing that's come out of COVID.
    Your water change time hits the nail on the head for me. I enjoy the breeding side of things (not discus, but the other fish I keep). Which means additional tanks and extra water changes. I don't have a ton of desire to just have a pretty tank, honestly. Unfortunately, I also don't have a lot of desire to be screwing around trying to market the fish that I raise... I don't need store credit anyway... so that puts me in a bad situation eventually. The next step for me really would be some sort of automated water change system and I do not want to live the rest of my life in this house. So putting that effort in right now makes no sense. I want to get out of here soon, as does my wife, as do my kids. I think I'm going to focus on paying the dumb thing off here in the next handful of months. It's the only thing we owe money on now. Plus I'm turning 40 in five months. So, this is probably something of a mid-life crisis. Probably better than buying a motorcycle.

I am by no means done with fish now nor planning on getting out right now. Just trying to clean up my life a little bit in hopes of needing to move in the next couple years at the latest. I am not sure I'll ever keep discus again, but who knows. When we get to our "forever" home, I could see building a fish room if the footprint allows it.

Real Name
    Willie

I'd be down there in a flash if this was September. But I close down my fish room every year to spend my summers out West. Bad timing.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast