AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Where to buy Brine shrimp eggs(cysts)?

Default Where to buy Brine shrimp eggs(cysts)?

Hi all,
    Lots of baby mouths to feed here and its time to buy more Brine shrimp eggs. I normally by from Brineshrimpdirect.com but thought I'd get some input by others as to where they are buying theirs and how happy they are with the hatch rates.

Thanks in advance,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Where to buy Brine shrimp eggs(cysts)?

Hi Al,

I am using an off brand atm and finding the hatch rate poor. The best in my opinion so far is the high hatch rate eggs that Jehmco sells.

Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Registered Member

I get mine Al also from BSD...along with most of my flakes. I know on one of the Angel forums, there is talk about a better hatching, and cheaper egg coming from Taiwan. There is a seller on e-bay named Joe(bbssales) a 16 oz can of BLUE DOLPHIN BRINE SHRIMP EGGS 90%+ hatch rate are $24.00...5 cans for $113. I have not tried them YET, as I am always nervous about ordering products from that far away. But those who do order really like them...Bill

I bought some Premium UTAH cysts (92 % hatchot ) from John at Jehmco a while back and have been extremely pleased with them.

Roberto.

Registered Member

We've always used BSD in the past. When working with marines (dwarf seahorses), contamination by cnidarians has proven to be a problem, but this shouldn't be anything to worry about in FW.

Thanks Everyone,

Maybe I'll give John at Jehmco a call.......I need to get some decaps too and he was out last week...so maybe they are in by now.

Appreciate the feedback!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

have you checked ebay? I saw many brine cyst for sale there but I personaly never tried them. They are not so expensive either, at least I think because I am not sure how much you usualy pay.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi all,
    Lots of baby mouths to feed here and its time to buy more Brine shrimp eggs. I normally by from Brineshrimpdirect.com but thought I'd get some input by others as to where they are buying theirs and how happy they are with the hatch rates.

Thanks in advance,
    al

Real Name
    Francis

Better buy them from a reliable source like Brineshrimpdirect/Jehmco.....better buy quality BB eggs with high hatching rates than paying cheap prices and junk eggs.

This another link getting BB eggs.

http://www.sfbb.com/eggs.asp#

Cheers
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    have you checked ebay? I saw many brine cyst for sale there but I personaly never tried them. They are not so expensive either, at least I think because I am not sure how much you usualy pay.

um? I only saw the decapsulated ones on the site at Jehmco so I did not order them, do you have to ask for them on the phone?

While we're at it, are the decaps good enough for discus fry? I hate to do the whole hatching thing.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

Hi Ed...I do feed the decaps to my Discus fry, but only after I feed them for a few days of the newly hatched BS. This gives them a taste for it, so when I throw the decaps cysts in, they know it's food. Supposed to have a higher protein % than hatched...Bill

Real Name
    Francis

Hi ed,

Also thinking of this prodcut.

LOW TEMPERATURE DRIED DAPHNIA: NEW

This new breakthrough in drying leaves the vitamins while removing the water. This new process is like freeze drying but leaves behind much more of the vitamins for better results when fed to your fry. Daphnia provide two essential vitamins of primary importance to fish development: vitamin A which is fundamental for growth and an anti-infective agent in mass culture, and vitamin D which is primarily responsible for the production of bone in vertebrates. Daphnia also provide small amounts of vitamin B, which supports tissue growth and stimulates appetite, and vitamin C, which boosts immunity.

Analysis:Moisture 9.70% ,Fat 2.40% ,Fiber 9.60% ,Ash 18.90% ,Phosphorus 1.44% ,Crude Protein 50.80%* ,Xanthophyll (AOAC) 180 mg per pound ,Myristic 5.60% ,Myristoleic 4.90% ,Palmitic 19.60% ,Palmitoleic 9.60% ,Heptadecenoic 4.70% ,Stearic 3.40% ,Oleic 10.20% ,Linoleic 6.90% ,Linolenic 23.40% ,Arachidonic 1.30% ,Hexadecadienoic 1.90%.

*83.5% of Crude Protein is Digestible

Maybe this one too.

GOLDEN PEARLS:

"Golden Pearls" - A New Brine Shrimp Replacement Diet

Golden Pearls is a revolutionary new larval diet that has successfully replaced live Artemia nauplii in marine fish hatcheries in Europe. A patented processing technique (agglomeration of micro-encapsulated particles) resulting in feed particles or "clusters" that resemble raspberries (under the microscope). Golden Pearls have tiny air pockets that keep the feed particles in the water column, not on the bottom of the tank, and mimics live brine shrimp nauplii.

Ingredients: Brine shrimp, squid, shrimp and fish protein, animal protein, purified fish oils, phospholipids, astaxanthin, vitamins and protected minerals, antioxidants, and immunostimulants. These are now available in 3 sizes!

Analysis: Protein - 60%, Lipids - 8%, Ash - 15%, Moisture - 8%, Vit C - 2000 ppm, Vit E - 400 ppm, Astaxanthin - 500 ppm.

Hope this helps

Fo me no pairs yet lol....

Cheers
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    um? I only saw the decapsulated ones on the site at Jehmco so I did not order them, do you have to ask for them on the phone?

While we're at it, are the decaps good enough for discus fry? I hate to do the whole hatching thing.

I have had good luck using Golden Pearls. I start them out on hatched BBS (omega brand)and after a couple days I start to add 50-100 micron size GP in with the BBS. Within two weeks I start with the 200-300 micron size GP. This is a really clean food and seems to keep water quality good. I also feed Better than brine for egg layers and pro-gro fry from Uncle on AquaBid. I will look for the new dried Daphnia, Thanks Francis. I like to use as many different types of food as possible so they get used to different tastes, IMO I think it helps when they are older adjusting to variations in foods.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Hi Ed...I do feed the decaps to my Discus fry, but only after I feed them for a few days of the newly hatched BS. This gives them a taste for it, so when I throw the decaps cysts in, they know it's food. Supposed to have a higher protein % than hatched...Bill
    Thank you for sharing your experience Bill. So you are basically conditioning the fry so the look at it as food? Sounds good, don't mind hatching some during the early days.
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Hi ed,

Also thinking of this prodcut.

LOW TEMPERATURE DRIED DAPHNIA: NEW

This new breakthrough in drying leaves the vitamins while removing the water. This new process is like freeze drying but leaves behind much more of the vitamins for better results when fed to your fry. Daphnia provide two essential vitamins of primary importance to fish development: vitamin A which is fundamental for growth and an anti-infective agent in mass culture, and vitamin D which is primarily responsible for the production of bone in vertebrates. Daphnia also provide small amounts of vitamin B, which supports tissue growth and stimulates appetite, and vitamin C, which boosts immunity.

Analysis:Moisture 9.70% ,Fat 2.40% ,Fiber 9.60% ,Ash 18.90% ,Phosphorus 1.44% ,Crude Protein 50.80%* ,Xanthophyll (AOAC) 180 mg per pound ,Myristic 5.60% ,Myristoleic 4.90% ,Palmitic 19.60% ,Palmitoleic 9.60% ,Heptadecenoic 4.70% ,Stearic 3.40% ,Oleic 10.20% ,Linoleic 6.90% ,Linolenic 23.40% ,Arachidonic 1.30% ,Hexadecadienoic 1.90%.

*83.5% of Crude Protein is Digestible

Maybe this one too.

GOLDEN PEARLS:

"Golden Pearls" - A New Brine Shrimp Replacement Diet

Golden Pearls is a revolutionary new larval diet that has successfully replaced live Artemia nauplii in marine fish hatcheries in Europe. A patented processing technique (agglomeration of micro-encapsulated particles) resulting in feed particles or "clusters" that resemble raspberries (under the microscope). Golden Pearls have tiny air pockets that keep the feed particles in the water column, not on the bottom of the tank, and mimics live brine shrimp nauplii.

Ingredients: Brine shrimp, squid, shrimp and fish protein, animal protein, purified fish oils, phospholipids, astaxanthin, vitamins and protected minerals, antioxidants, and immunostimulants. These are now available in 3 sizes!

Analysis: Protein - 60%, Lipids - 8%, Ash - 15%, Moisture - 8%, Vit C - 2000 ppm, Vit E - 400 ppm, Astaxanthin - 500 ppm.

Hope this helps

Fo me no pairs yet lol....

Cheers
    Francis
    It does help Francis. Not too interested in the Dahpnia but the Golden Pearls sound good, just like a mix we do for adults but targeted at fry. I'll look into it. Wondering if we could come up with a similar DIY recipe

BTW, no pairs for me yet but I wanna learn and be ready for them.

So I don't totally hijack Al's thread and stay on topic, does Jehmco still carry Brine hrimp eggs other than the de-caps, didn't order it since I didn't saw it on the site and did not bother to ask them about it.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Ed,

I'm certain John(Jehmco) do carry brine shrimps eggs.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/brine_shrimp_eggs.html

Cheers
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience Bill. So you are basically conditioning the fry so the look at it as food? Sounds good, don't mind hatching some during the early days.

It does help Francis. Not too interested in the Dahpnia but the Golden Pearls sound good, just like a mix we do for adults but targeted at fry. I'll look into it. Wondering if we could come up with a similar DIY recipe

BTW, no pairs for me yet but I wanna learn and be ready for them.

So I don't totally hijack Al's thread and stay on topic, does Jehmco still carry Brine hrimp eggs other than the de-caps, didn't order it since I didn't saw it on the site and did not bother to ask them about it.