AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobbyists Challenger Contest ending and Judging....

Exclamation Hobbyists Challenger Contest ending and Judging....

Hi All,

As you know our second annual contest is closing...( see here for more details... http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/sh...ad.php?t=79501 )

The official end date is June 1,2010...What I would ask is that all contestants now pick their best fish from the group and Take a total of 5 pictures of the fish they are submitting. One needs to be picture of the fish netted with a ruler clearly visible so we can see the size. One photo should also have a head shot that shows the thickness of the fish (ruler not necessary) the remaining pics should clearly show the fishes profile while in the tank!

These images should all be very clear...they will be used to judge your fish for First place. You may email me pictures at brewmaste15@netscape.com include your full name and address in the email...I'll need that for the awards. Image resolutions will all be standardized ...I will resize all photos for web viewing using photoshop...but I will not manipulate the image in any other way. These images will then be posted in the moderator sections of the forum for judging.

Do not post these pictures publically! Judges will be judging anonymous entries...only I will know identity of the contestants.

Additionally... This year I have added a "Peoples Choice " award. Here is how this will work. Members here will have the opportunity to vote for the contestant they feel did the overall best job of raising their whole group of fish over this last year. You , as members should take into account all the updates and info the contestant has made.. There will be a poll that I will set up for members to vote. Highest vote wins the Peoples Choice award. I would ask all contestants to write an end of the year wrap-up of the contest if they haven't already and post it in their sections...Include things that you have learned, reflections on the contest and your forum experiences, things you feel you did well at and that you think you dropped the ball on.... the whole package.... Lastly,please take movie clip of your tanks and post that as well....Encourage dialogue now...This will be your last chance to connect with the voters.

The Contest is officially over on June 1,2010 . I will require entry photos to be emailed to me at brewmaster15@netscape.com (do not post them!) by June 5th....Judging will follow. All decisions are final and if there are any issues or a tie...I will be the deciding vote and my decisions will stand.

My Thanks to all the contestants for sharing your experiences here.. I hope its been a great experience for you all!

My most sincere and heartfelt thanks go out again to Kenny's Discus and Discus Forrest for their donation of these beautiful fish... Everyone wants contests like this to happen...but the truth is I rely heavily on Forum membership to fund these things and make them happen... and Kenny and Forrest have been 2 members and sponsors that have never let me down and have supported this community immensely.... I know I have said it already...but Thank You Both!!!

Best of Luck to all!

-al

Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-31-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Hobbyists Challenger Contest ending and Judging....

I wish to pass along my thanks as well to Forrest and Kenny for helping make this contest possible as well as all the great contestants for their participation and sharing here on SD! It's been great to monitor their progress and learn a lot in the process.

Thank you...thank you....thank you!

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose View Post
    I wish to pass along my thanks as well to Forrest and Kenny for helping make this contest possible as well as all the great contestants for their participation and sharing here on SD! It's been great to monitor their progress and learn a lot in the process.

Thank you...thank you....thank you!
    I second that. Thanks to both Kenny and Forrest for all their contributions to our forum.

bump

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

I have so enjoyed watching the progress and comparing techniques among all the contestants. What gorgeous fish to work with--hats off to Kenny and Forrest of course.
    What a gift to HAVE the fish, and what a lot of work to keep us all informed of the ups and downs involved in this year, and in keeping up with the photo documentatioon. Lots of work, lots of fun, some real challenges.
    Congrats to all of you for seeing this contest through. I always looked forward to seeing everyone's posts and I think Simply has been a richer experience for me as a result. YOU ARE ALL WINNERS. I will be very interested to see what comes next in contest land.
    Very best regards to all,
    Harriett

I love the idea of the peoples choice awards, it sounds fun! I can't wait to see the display pics of all these beautiful fish!

Big thanks goes out to Kenny, Forrest, Al, contestants and judges!

Just wanted to say that it was a great adventure, even for those who were not in the contest. It was amazing to be part of each contestants lives during their time in keeping these amazing fish from Forrest/Kenny. It was a privilege for me to see the contest from start to finish. Loved watching everyone's fish grow into the beautiful adults that they are today. Wishing all of the contestant the best of luck and a HUGE THANK YOU for everything you've done for the hobby!

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

BIG thank u to Forrest/Kenny and Al u made it happened !!well done guys!!

best of luck to all contestants!!
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

For me it is a little sad to see the contest come to an end so soon. It was easy and enjoyable on my part to post pictures and raise my discus.
    We may never meet face to face but it is great to make lasting, long time friends with you all.
    I'm amazed at the generosity of Kenny and Forrest for supplying all those discus and the huge amount of work that Al has done to put this all together.
    Can't wait to cheer on the next contestants, I'm just as excited to see how it goes.
    Thank you all.
    Bill

Hey Bill ,

Who knows, maybe down the road one of the contestants from this contest will breed these beautiful gems and we'll get to watch some f2s grow up. maybe they'll even wind up in a contest.

Wouldn't that be Cool?

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

If they cooperate I would more than happy to box up enough to cover a contest Al.

Thanks for the opportunity SD and I too would also like to give the opportunity to another group if my pairs are going to co-operate. If they do I will contact you Al to organize a Canadian Challange.

Thanks everyone as well for following and all the positive feedback. It was a great experience for sure and I encourage those that are thinking about it to enter and see what you can do with your fish. If anything you end up with a bunch of beautiful discus...is that so bad?

Cheers, Evelyn
    Evelyn
    Don't let the things you can't do stop you from doing the things you can!

This contest looked like it was a really great event....I'm relatively new here, but I've enjoyed looking back thru all your posts contestants!

Brew, I can't wait for the next contest....I hope I can free up some space and participate if I am chosen.

I know these things must cost you alot to put together and thats not even the time.....so thank you....I would like to help out with a donation but don't use paypal... please drop me a pm and let me know where I can send something.

Thanks again to you,the contestants, and Kenny and Forrest!

Alonzo
    Words to live by...Close your mouth and open your mind and you may learn what you think you already know.....
    ...unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by IamDiscus View Post
    This contest looked like it was a really great event....I'm relatively new here, but I've enjoyed looking back thru all your posts contestants!

Brew, I can't wait for the next contest....I hope I can free up some space and participate if I am chosen.

I know these things must cost you alot to put together and thats not even the time.....so thank you....I would like to help out with a donation but don't use paypal... please drop me a pm and let me know where I can send something.

Thanks again to you,the contestants, and Kenny and Forrest!

Alonzo
    Hi Alonzo,
    Thanks for the kind words and offer to help the site.... all the information for donations , including a mailing address is here....

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/billspaypal.php?

I'm not sure all the details on the next contest...tell you the truth, I'm not even 100% positive I can do another one...but I will try to put it together. I'd like to do one, and I have been talking with various sponsors...but I won't be able to commit 100% until I have all the options set out clearly. In the mean time... We have an awesome one to wrap up here !

best regards,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Badda Bump!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast