ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hose for siphoning

Registered Member traversediscus's Avatar

Default Hose for siphoning

Sooo what is everyones recommendations for for emptying and filling the tanks. I have a Python but it has broken. Just wondering what everyone elses ideas are and good value for money.

Cue Eddie

Default Re: Hose for siphoning

What part is broken? You can get replacement parts for the whole Python system.

I use a Python with a Jehmco Safety Siphon. The only thing I never liked about the Python is the waste of water at the faucet when removing water; the safety siphon eliminates this.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_si...ium_drain.html

Real Name
    Chris

You can order replacement parts. I hated my python so I made a cheaper version. I hook up my gravel vac to a cheap garden hose to drain the tank onto the front lawn/plants. Then to fill up the tank you can use a shorter potable hose or buy tubing from the aquarium shop and attach fittings to use with your faucet. My version was under $20 and doesn't waste water. HTH

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

The part that broke is the bit that screws to the faucet. Im not that happy with the python aswell. I was just seeing what other ideas people had before i buy the new part. I have to buy an extension aswell so i need to spend $20 ish on it. Just wondering if my money is best spent on something else.

Cheers for the answers so far

The python attachments are all junk and break very easy. I ended up just using a hose with a direct attachment to the faucet. I gravity drain all tanks directly outside.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

I made my own from 1/2" pvc and a garden hose. I control the amount of water I remove by the lenth of the pvc going into the tank. Don t.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    The python attachments are all junk and break very easy. I ended up just using a hose with a direct attachment to the faucet. I gravity drain all tanks directly outside.

Eddie
    You are very lucky you can gravity drain so easily. Some of us have below ground downstairs tanks.

Gee, what are you guys doing to the Python pieces? Maybe you need to be more gentle! LOL!

I have my Python since 1992. I'm using the same one. I've had to buy 2 of those valve pieces that attach to the faucet since I first bought the Python. That's 2 in 17 years! I am using the same hose too, and have only added an additional 25 ft. of hose when I moved to this house. The additional hose was from an LFS, cheaper yes, but its a much stiffer hose. The Python hose is much more pliable and I like it much better.

I siphon the junk off the tank bottom then shut off the water and let gravity drain the tank so I don't waste all that water. When I finally get my 55 gal. water barrel cleaned out I'll just use the Python hose and run it to the basement and let gravity take care of all the draining, then use a pump to return water with the Python hose to the tank.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    I have my Python since 1992.
    I've had the Python for a good 10 years and never replaced any parts....Hope I didn't just jinx myself; I could see water all over the place tonight

Registered Member

You can get just the parts you need directly from python-

http://www.pythonproducts.com/repparts.html

The best thing about 'em is that you can set the temp at the faucet, then divert the flow to fill the tank...

If you're serious about upgrading, look into the Jehmco JSSP-QO1200 safety siphon-

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_si...ium_drain.html

Well worth it, and it uses your python hose...

Registered Member

"The python attachments are all junk and break very easy. I ended up just using a hose with a direct attachment to the faucet. I gravity drain all tanks directly outside. "

I completely agree with Eddie's above assesment of the python. The parts are junk! The hose I do use.

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    Gee, what are you guys doing to the Python pieces? Maybe you need to be more gentle! LOL!

I have my Python since 1992. I'm using the same one. I've had to buy 2 of those valve pieces that attach to the faucet since I first bought the Python. That's 2 in 17 years! I am using the same hose too, and have only added an additional 25 ft. of hose when I moved to this house. The additional hose was from an LFS, cheaper yes, but its a much stiffer hose. The Python hose is much more pliable and I like it much better.

I siphon the junk off the tank bottom then shut off the water and let gravity drain the tank so I don't waste all that water. When I finally get my 55 gal. water barrel cleaned out I'll just use the Python hose and run it to the basement and let gravity take care of all the draining, then use a pump to return water with the Python hose to the tank.

You must have the magic touch Connie! I have a 50' Python and the Marina verison too since I set up my tanks since this May. I've replaced parts twice already

I'm going with Islesfan's recommendation and ordering the Safety siphon w/powerhead from John at Jehmco and will adapt a vinyl hose, ball valve and the left over vac tube to the intake for cleaning. I'm counting on this being the more durable route to go. Fingers crossed!

OK i agree that the Python is junk. There is alot of cheap plastic that breaks easily. I like those from Jehmco as i need to speed up my change of water. I have a 55 gal and a 26 gal and takes me an 1 hour a night to change the water. With the Jehmco's how do you pick up all the debris?
    Last edited by traversediscus; 10-01-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by traversediscus View Post
    The part that broke is the bit that screws to the faucet. Im not that happy with the python aswell. I was just seeing what other ideas people had before i buy the new part. I have to buy an extension aswell so i need to spend $20 ish on it. Just wondering if my money is best spent on something else.

Cheers for the answers so far

You should be able to find every thing you need at the local hardware store at a much cheaper price

Real Name
    Chris

Just hook a cheap garden hose to your gravel vac and let gravity do the work. For filling you will need a potable/drinkable hose.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast