AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potassium Permanganate

Registered Member sonflowerjoela's Avatar

Default Potassium Permanganate

I got some permoxyn which is 3.84% solution. I'm just a little unsure of whether to follow directions on bottle or directions from posts I've read. This is the 1st time using this stuff and I'm a little nervous about it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Jo
    <'(((>< <'(((><
    ><)))'>

Registered Member

Default Re: Potassium Permanganate

and permoxyn is a solution of potassium permanganate????

Yes it is a solution of PP>I have a couple of ??'s. If I just take the fish out and put them in a dip of solution for 30 minutes, will whatever the problem is still be in the fishtank? I ask this because I have one sick fish in my planted bowfront all the others are healthy. I also have another tank 55 gallon with 3 fish in it and 2 of them are sick, but the one is beautiful and healthy. So I don't know whether to treat all the tanks or just treat fish. Also PP kills plants. So I'd need to take my plants out, and then would they have whatever the problem is still on them. I've heard of patogens coming in on plants. I'm sorry for all the ???'s I'd really appreciate your help though. Thanks, Joela
    Last edited by sonflowerjoela; 01-31-2007 at 09:11 PM.
    <'(((>< <'(((><
    ><)))'>

Banned

Use as directed,,, remove AC, and up the air, treat all the tanks. Just remember that PP will nuke nitrifiers. It's good for parasites but not bacterial infections

PP does not kill plants, in fact it's a good disinfectant for them.

G

Hi Graham,
    PP does not kill plants, in fact it's a good disinfectant for them.
    I think that depends on the concentration and type of plant.. I have never used it as such, but I have heard of many people melting their plants with it.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Banned

Al you would have to have it up in the 20ppm range to nuke them and that would have to be for extended time frames...PP at 4ppm shouldn't hurt them at all.

When I buy plants they get 20 minutes at probably 10 to 15ppm before they go to the tank...haven't hurt any yet. Salt will do a job on them quicker than PP ever would. Bleach would be the same thing.

Permoxyn used at the reccomended dose gives a 5ppm level to start with...needless to say that this would drop very quickly as it oxidized the organics in the system...the plants should be fine

...............maybe something like a fine leaf Mag Lace might be affected as arule all plants should be fine

I honestly wouldn't know Graham, Just that I have seen many posts on it so I thought I would mention it.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Banned

Be interesting to know if they had other meds or salt in there at the same time..................

Registered Member

Al,
    I've used PP at levels up to 20 ppm and it has never done anything to any plant it was in with. I've heard those same stories, I no longer believe them. btw I do weigh the PP to get an accurate solution, perhaps that may be why my experience differs from others.

I agree with Graham, make sure you have plenty of aeration, and always have H2O2 or a dechlor on hand in case of an emergency. Use the Permoxy per the bottle directions, if I remember correctly it will give you a 5 ppm dosage, while I personally feel this is too high a dose (I don't go over 4 ppm with fish) it is also fairly safe. Try and keep the PP in the tank for 6 hours. If the color changes to orange or green, do NOT add more. Do at least a 50% water change and re-dose after waiting a day.
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Well believe them or not, its happened to me about 5 or 6 years ago. 4ppm for 6 hours many plants melted and no there were no other meds in the tank. Only treated a planted tank once, not since as I've had no need, plants were (from memory) aponogetan, crypts and stem plants. I've never tried to explain it, can only say what happened.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Hi Everyone Thanks for all your responses. The permoxyn says for bacterial gill disease to add 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons, produces concentration of 2.5ppm.
    To improve water quality by oxidation of dissolved suspended organic materials, add 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons. The sheet also says to use as bath for plants,ornaments or substrates add 2 teaspoons to 10 gallons, soak 30 minutes. Rinse thorughly before putting in tank, says the same thing to treat for diseases caused by external protozoans and crustaceans from fishes. This is why I asked if I should dip fish or treat whole tank. I'm unsure if the fish have some sort of [diseases caused by external protozoans and crustaceans] If I dip them will it still be in tank? I don't want to hurt plants. or fish.
    <'(((>< <'(((><
    ><)))'>

Banned

Joela describe exactly what the fish have wrong with them and how they are acting

G

Graham, the fish are black they stilll eat very well & will come and get blood worms and community health food out of my hand. One of them has cloudy eyes and clamped fins. there are 3 discus in this tank, one is the picture of health and beauty the other two leave a lot to be desired. Also the ones who are so black fight with each other. Also I'm really not using PP to treat something specific. It just seemed from reading about others it is something people use to keep discus in a healthier state. Do I have this wrong. Just learning
    <'(((>< <'(((><
    ><)))'>

Banned

Joela, IMO, PP or any other med or chemical, including salt, should only be used when there is an actual problem. PP can be very dangerous and lots of hobbyists have killed thier fish using it. There's lots of ancedotal everdience that continual use of PP at low dosages affects the gill lamallae, thicking and clubbing them.

I'm not sure if you have anything wrong other than a couple of fish picking on each other. The cloudiness that you're seeing is probably just excess mucus being produced from this fighting

G

Ok thanks. Maybe I'm overly concerned. The fish just do not look the way healthy discus look.
    <'(((>< <'(((><
    ><)))'>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast