ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Potassium Permanganate alternative?

Default Potassium Permanganate alternative?

Hello everyone,

Well, I've just been having the toughest time trying to get Potassium Permanganate to disinfect my equipment. I almost had luck getting a pharmacy to special order it for me only to have them call me back and say they weren't able to now that it's a controlled substance.

I've phoned several water treatment companies (I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada BTW). Some still get it after optaining a permit to handle. Unfortunately it comes in a 10lb bag for $120 and from the little info I was able to get, they only sell to their own clients who bought the equipment it's used for

So, to make a long story short. Can anyone suggest an alternative that would safely work to disinfect aquarium equipment?

Thank you very much in advance.

D

Default Re: Potassium Permanganate alternative?

If its glassware and pipe work etc then bleach at 10% rine well and you are good to go. imo probably better than PP. Microwave sponges on full for 3 mins that sorts them!

hth,
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply. I love the microwave idea I'll go with the bleach thing then.

Best wishes and thanks again,

DMC

Banned

Contact a local chemical supply company...you will have to sign a wavier for the RCMP, but you should be able to get it in 2kg jars for about $35....if not PM me and I'll give you a name and number in Ottawa

Graham

Registered Member

35% Hydrogen Peroxide works great as a straight replacement for PP (not the common 3% stuff). It might be hard to find, but if you can get some it works great. 1cc per 10 gallons (2 drops per gallon) works great when treating fish...higher concentrations when disinfecting tanks and the like.

-Ryan

Bleach and Boil is my choice... A 10% bleach solution is a proven sanitizer and is cheap to get and has the added benefit of being easy to neutrailze 100% with sodium thiosulfate and it also off gases .

Boiling is my choice for sponges and medias.. a 45-60 minute is good for most things that you will worry about in a tank...IMO>

PP's drawbacks..its really hard to gauge concentration... and it can leave a brown residue when neutralized.

Hydrogen Peroxides is a good one as Ryan Mentioned at commercial strengths ..its availible as food grade. Its down side in my mind is neutralizing... its hard to neutralize it without full water changes...or thorough rinse. I have found this just with the standard 3% stuff...35% would be even harder in my mind. This is being evaluated currently for approval in aquaculuture...its already used as an antifungal in commercial hatcheries for eggs.

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I use common household bleach (generic from Wal-Mart) at 10% in tap water to clean/disinfect. Then rinse thoroughly in tap water treated with water conditioner at 2X suggested rate (e.g. stress coat, which helps neutralize the chlorine).

hth
    Lisa
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

When using bleach get the ones that has no fragrances added to it. For example if you are in Ottawa look for brands like Parisien.