ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'll never use PP again

Unhappy I'll never use PP again

Well at least it didn't happen to my discus, but to my new geophagus surinamensis . I thought it would be a good idea to try the pp on them for their first treatment. Well I added the pp to a light pinkish purple and it looked like everything was going well during the first hour or so, so I stopped watching for just a little while (maybe 10-15 minutes tops) when I checked on them they couldn't swim straight with some belly up. I neutralized and then put them in fresh water immediately but it looks like I'm going to lose all 4 . One is darting periodically up to the top of the water while the others are laying on the bottom. It looks like some aren't breathing or barely breathing. I'm so glad I didn't do this to my discus.

Tina
    Last edited by tpl*co; 08-27-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Default Re: I'll never use PP again

What were the concentrations you were using? Sorry to hear about your fish.

The solution I've used and read about from another board is to mix 1/8th TsP of PP to one pint of water.

Use solution at one drop per gallon.
    Last edited by greyhoundfan; 08-27-2006 at 07:02 PM.
    --Reid

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Unhappy Re: I'll never use PP again

man I'm really sry to hear this Tina...<sigh>

Here is the article where you can find the proper usage of PP, if you want to go by concentration rather than by the light purple color that's used by many others.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...pp_usage.shtml

again I'm sry Tina...

Kenny
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

Banned

Sorry to hear that...PP is one of the very best chems,and I use it all the time but if you blow a dose you will kill your fish...been there.........I killed about $7,000.00USD worth of koi because I blew a dose.

You need to know exact gallons, exact % grams being added, and then increase agitation 10 fold and then have H2O2 or De-chlor on hand to stop the oxidization in its tracks. Ideally you'll have an ORP meter and hold the dose in the 500 range

Hope the other are not too badly hurt

I went by the color method, a light pinkish purple . They all looked fine after an hour of treatment so I went to the next room for a little while (a few minutes of web surfing so I could look up more pictures of them). Thought I'd check on them and saw them swimming irradically and bobbing like corks. 1 really bad the others just starting to act weird. Neutrallized then drained some water from one of my tanks into another container to transfer them to. They're all dead now. Didn't take long .

Graham I had water agitation in the small tank with an airstone. Perhaps since it was a smaller tank I overshot the dose since it would look lighter .

Tina

Banned

Sorry Tina, I know how you feel...It's real PITA when you do something that kills your fish...I've been there a number of times over the years. PP is unforgiving unless you catch it real quick. As I mentioned in my previous post I killed 3 fish worth almost $7 grand and really hurt a whole lot more...it took months for them to come back

When I use it on the aquariums I aim the power heads directly upwards creating a fountain effect and as with the pond nodays I never leave them alone while I'm doing a treatment.

G

Aww I am sorry Tina! I hope they are able to pull thru!

Amber
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

No Amber they didn't. It was so fast too. They would have been beautiful growing up too

Tina

Registered Member

I don't think you're suppose to leave the fish in that long. I used it right before I do a water change. Treat it for like 5 min and do a 100% water change. That way you dont have to worry too much. Do you guys know where to buy PP?

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Hey you ~ I wish I could give you a hug~ What made you want to hit the Africans Tina? I didnt know you were or one could use PP on them ~ I suppose you could use it on any fish tho ~ Kenny confirmed that as well when we spoke ~ do you remember that he said to dose half strength for the Africans? And to NEVER leave the tank during treatment?? Did you read the notes we took?

What a lesson to learn babe and I am so sorry for you I am ~ please call me sometime tomorrow!

Marie ~

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co
    No Amber they didn't. It was so fast too. They would have been beautiful growing up too

Tina
    Aww Tina I am so sorry! That really sucks!

Amber
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

hi tina, so sorry for your loss

what were you treating them for? what symptoms did you see before the application of the PP?

Registered Member

That is a wake up call because I will leave my discus for 10 or 15 minutes almost every time I do a pp treat, and usually I really make the water a dark purple. I haven't lost any but I'll be more cautious in the future! I'm sorry this happened

Registered Member

Tina,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I agree with eveyrone you should use exact measurements. I will post an article here for you tonight that you can use. I use it safely in all of my tanks.

Bill
    Need your taxes done? Ask me I am a Licensed CPA!!!
    Most basic taxes done for $100-$125 including efile!!
    General Accounting and Book Keeping services available too!
    Bill.Eagan@EaganandCompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit
    Hey you ~ I wish I could give you a hug~ What made you want to hit the Africans Tina? I didnt know you were or one could use PP on them ~ I suppose you could use it on any fish tho ~ Kenny confirmed that as well when we spoke ~ do you remember that he said to dose half strength for the Africans? And to NEVER leave the tank during treatment?? Did you read the notes we took?

What a lesson to learn babe and I am so sorry for you I am ~ please call me sometime tomorrow!

Marie ~

No these were the new south americans I told you I was going to get. I thought I'd hit them to make sure they didn't have any hitch hikers before quarantine. They were swimming normally so I thought a few minutes wouldn't hurt, I was wrong . I was so bummed out but it was my fault . The dosage is just so touchy. I thought I'd be OK since I have a degree in chemistry and was being so careful on the color (was even lighter than Kenny's tank). I don't even know if I can use my fish guarantee at the store since it was my fault . I just feel so bad for the little fish . Eartheaters are supposed to be really tough, so tough I've seen them suggested to check the cycling of a new tank.

Tina

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast