AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: PP Usage

Registered Member

Default PP Usage

I received some Kordon Permoxyn today. It is 3.84% Potassium Permanganate

Permoxyn’s instructions say this;
    To use as bath for diseases caused by external protozoans and crustaceans from fishes,use a 10 ppm solution (2 teaspoons [10 mL] of Permoxyn per 10 gallons of water) for 30 minutes. Discontinue use any time that fishes show undue stress.
    To use for Bacterial Gill Disease remove carbon and clean the outside filter. Return the filter to use without the carbon. Add 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) of Permoxyn per 10 gallons of water to produce a concentration of 2.5 ppm. Do not exceed the recommended dosage. After 4 consecutive days make an extensive water change of one half or more of the water volume.

Amdrew Soh says this;
    200mg to 100 liter of water
    pH best to be below 7 but even at 7 plus, it is still safe though a little stressed.
    Temperature maintain @ 25 to 28 during treatment. Never bring up the temperature.
    After 24 hours, make complete water change. Never leave the residue of potassium permanganate, after oxidized, for 3 days to a week as that may be toxic and sensitive discus may die from it. 24 hours is extremely safe.
    2 to 6 hours treatment is insufficient.
    Total treatment suggested is 3 times in a week.

(Note: Both above statements are somewhat paraphrased)

Andrew Soh’s 200mg/100l = 2mg/l = 2 ppm is pretty much inline with Kordon’s 2.5 ppm
    However Kordon says to treat for four consecutive days at 2.5 ppm and Andrew says this may kill weaker discus.
    My question, (finally, I know) is “At what dosage and for how long should I be using PP?” Also has anyone tried PP as a dip instead of a bath?
    Tia,
    Larry

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Default Re: PP Usage

from Jim Quarles years ago and this is what he said:
    Warning:::: PP should never be used on small discus under 3 inch in total size. If you use enough to kill the parasites you will also burn the fish gills of small discus.

Here is his dosage in case you need it for your larger Discus.

Potassium permanganate powder Treatment of extrenal parasites, external lesions, bacteria on the skin. Fungi, protozoa, monogenea, hirudinea ( leeches ) crustacea ( argulus, lernaea.) 22.8 grams to 4 oz. Of water. The use 2 drops per gallon=5ppm. Should be used only in ph range of 7 or above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered Member

Thanks Marie!
    Hmmmm, Andrew and Kordon say a pH of 7.0 or below... Makes you kinda wonder about the whole aquarium hobby sometimes.

Thanks again,
    Larry

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Larry. Go to link below. Click on newsletter. Believe it's page 12 for PP.
    Been doing it that way for adults and fry no problem.
    Now with the fry I didn't leave PP as long. And no problem either with BN's in tank.

http://www.discusnada.org/

BTW. I never have yet gone whole four hours as it has turned orange or brown before that. I think you'll find a hundred different opinions about PP dosage and the use of it.
    Last edited by Greg Richardson; 06-06-2006 at 11:52 PM.

Larry,
    The reason why PP is to be used cautiously above pH 7.0 is because it can cause minerals to precipitate out on the gills of the fish in some waters..generally in hard waters (which also tend to have higher pHs.)

Never had it happen in my water.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Greg,
    Thanks for the link but unfortunately I get a blank page. It may be because I am using a beta browser (IE 7).

Al,
    Thanks for the info. My pH is 7.21 GH 8.5, and I can easily lower both. I think I'll bring the pH down to 6.8 and GH to around 5, but that means beginning dosing tomorrow.

Marie,
    Very informative thread, thank you.

Thanks guys,
    Larry

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I wrote the article. I don't remember if this article is in the free newsletter or not. If not, newsletters come with membership in NADA

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carol_Roberts
    I wrote the article. I don't remember if this article is in the free newsletter or not. If not, newsletters come with membership in NADA
    Carol,
    I did see an article written by you and it was about meds, but no mention of PP in it. I did enjoy the article though.

Larry

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Carol. It is in the free one you now have on site. If you don't mind I can post it here for Larry?
    Last edited by Greg Richardson; 06-07-2006 at 07:48 PM.

Registered Member

Greg & Carol,
    Thanks for your help. I just joined DiscusNADA so I should shortly be able to read the newsletter.

Thanks again,
    Larry