AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: treating with PP

Registered Member

Default treating with PP

Is there anybody who explain me exact term of using PP?
    THX

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re: treating with PP

I can't eplain it exactly. I mix some of the crystal powder with water in a liter bottle. I pull the sponges from the filter and put them in a bucket. The i pour some of the purple PP water into the tank . . . a dollop at a time until the water is medium purple. Watch the fish, leave the PP in the tank for 4 hours, then add hydrogen peroxide one capful at a time until the water turns clear. Then I do a partial water change. Finally I put the rinsed sponges back in the tank.

Potassium permanganate, at least I can say that much. Carol, what is it used for? Disinfecting?

Registered Member

pp has been around for years, my dad used to say it freshened the water so i guess it is a disenfectant. i never heard of the hydrogen peroxide though, we would use an eye dropper and put in enough to turn the water sightly purple and we would do a water change the next day.the purple color went away in a few hours. i still have some powder and some mixed in a jar but i havent used it in years. i have planted tanks now and dont know what effect it will have on the plants. anybody using it in a planted tank? is it safe? Carol i am wondering what the hydrogen peroxide does can u explain? how often do u use it? thanks jim from queens

Hydrogen peroxide has been around for years too, you'll find it in the drug stores for disinfecting cuts . It'll react with the potassium permanganate thus turning the water clear.

OK, it bugged me I couldn't remember the redox reaction between potassium permanganate and hydrogen peroxide so I had to look it up! Found a neat article on potassium permanganate and fish disease:

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/...rmanganate.htm

OK, for you chemists out there, here's the reaction equation of why the purple goes away, LOL:

Potassium permanganate is KMNO4 and is purple:

in solution it makes the MNO4- ion (purple):
    hydrogen peroxide is H2O2

5 H2O2 + 2 MnO4- + 6 H+ = 2 Mn+2 + 5 O2+ 8 H2O

LOL, I guess there has to be an acid in the mix also? Well, I guess my chemistry degree isn't a waste .

Registered Member

For what you hear from the forum is how dangerous PP is and also can kill your fish. Ask yourself how did they come to that conclusion. How would they know if they never use them before just becasue they were so dangerous to them. I feel sorry for those who'd said that. I'm sure they do have problems with their fish with infection and eating problems without telling the truth.
    Many hundreds of hobbyists came to me and threw their arms up and admitted defeat by the constant infection and white poop problems. Many were about to give up discus all together. PP saved their hobby and many become breeders themselves.
    I don't want to elaborate how effective PP is to maintain healthy discus and quarantine imports. The key of keeping discus is the water condition. PP can keep it crystal clear regardless of how much you feed and how often you do water change. There are only a few useful information about PP that I feel are justify to the hobbyists. Most are misleading and false claims by someone who never use the product before.
    If your are haunted by constant infection, eating problems, white poo and fry or egg eating parents. Follow Carol's instructions and you may want to try using PP every 3 days to break the bacterial cycle. It's important to do that for all imports until they are begging for food and never have enough to eat. Only unhealthy fish will be affected by PP treatment. Helathy fish will still beg for food, chase each others and even court in PP. If they fold their fins and generally feel uncomfortable, rest them for 2 days and do it again. You may find that's all the medication besides dewormer that you need to bring them back the way you like them.
    One secret I can share with you. A very rich old timer is now in jail for tax evasion used to PP his water in the storage tank a day before using it on his fish. He never had to use any medication. Even got his wild Heckel to spawn successfully in pp treated water.
    Jimmy
    Last edited by JimmyL; 09-02-2005 at 12:37 PM.

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Hi Carol. So all sponges you are pulling? Just to be sure. Meaning if you have AC and hydros?

Jim. Interesting doing that in storage tank.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

No one is saying not to use PP, it is just to use it in Moderation. You can't dispute the evidence it is a strong oxidizer and very reactive. Just like many compounds or medications, a little can help, a lot can do a great deal of harm. I found it interesting that you can't use PP with formaldehyde which is a common ingredient in many fish cures too (like quick cure). A little knowledge is a powerful thing and it is better to know what you are doing to save your fish instead of dumping things in not knowing how much or what things are doing with what and hoping for the best.

What I am mad at is the lack of knowledge and availability of medicines at local fish stores or pet shops. I bet if you go to a pet store (say Petsmart) and ask about using PP you'll get a blank stare. Many of the medicines I use I had to search for.

JimmyL, sounds like you've used PP before how much PP do you use in your tank? (final concentration of PP per gallon?) That info would be very helpful of what is a theraputic dose of PP for discus (since it isn't sold with fish directions on the label LOL).

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

PP will kill the good bacteria in the sponges. I put all the cycled media in a bucket during treatment so the bio stays alive.

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Thanks Carol.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Registered Member

TeddyJ was the first one to use it the way like Carol's. We had many discussions at those days and finally decided that using color as indicator instead of amount per gallon method is the safest way to apply on our fish as the duration of effectiveness changes in direct relationship with the organic matters in the water. We had many fights and name calling in many forums and I had daily e-mail with Jim Q talking about it as he was the one who started the discussion that PP kill, killl, and kill and he would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. Unfortunately it instilled in many people's mind and the knowledge has passed along with some well read hobbyists supports Jim's theories. PP and formaldehyde applied alternatively but not together was actually the secret formaula for Asian fish farms to combate black disease and velvet disease before any new medication was discovered. It was a common ingredients but now it's not politically correct to disscus the result of this combination in a pure form. It's best not to talk about it and just simply don't use it TOGETHER with a pound of pp crystal?????....in case some evil minded individual get some funny ideas. Do a search in our library and I think I have an article on PP and it's usage that you may find useful.
    Jimmy
    Last edited by JimmyL; 09-03-2005 at 04:59 PM.

Hi Jimmy,
    you mentioned above about PP making your water crystal clear and about the old fella PP the water in his storage tank a day before WC, it didn't state using HP to reverse the PP so that it becomes crystal clear. If PP is used alone, then the water would become brownish after it's spent. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Tks.

Rgds
    Sindhu

Registered Member

I searched for this article around the web about PP.
    I found:
    1. The best does is 2mg/l (it depends on the amount of organic in the water)
    2. Close observation is to be needed. If its color changes to brown, you should add extra PP to the water. And WC is need when some fishes can't tolerate it.
    3. You should neutralize it after 4 hour and do water change.
    4. You can repeat it 4 times during 3 days!!!!! (I want to know more about it. are you agree? or one time is enough.)
    5. You can use it for preparing water for daily water change.

Some question is:
    can I use it regularly ( for example once in a month or 2 months) to avoid some common disease?
    please correct what I got, if they are wrong

Registered Member

PP is an oxidizing agent that kill on contact but unable to destroy eggs. Eggs hatch between 3-7 days depending on the species. PP kill undiscriminately including your good nitrobactors. The only way to break the bacterial cycle is to repeat treatment every 3 to 4 days for 2-3 weeks. Otherwise you will be haunted by repeat darkening of their body with excessive slime coat excreting from their pores. upset stomach and so on and so on....Once you have done that. Your fish will be begging for food and will not shy away or hiding. Keep the prestine water condition whenever the water is a touch cloudy. Regardless of how detail you wipe your glasses. Slime will hide in seams and crackes that can't be reached. That's the ideal place for bacterial growth and one day will boom and cause problems. PP can dissolve it and suspend in water. That's H2O2 come to play which solidify the substance and deposit at the bottom of your tank to allow you to syphone it out. You'll find numerous fine black dust at the bottom of the tank when the water is clear after treatment. Beware of the concentration of PP. Now this is where people misinterpret the use of PP. To disinfect is just minor first part, the second part is to maintain water quality which discus needed to thrive on. A pristine water condition will not turn PP to yellow or brown in 4 hours. Only water with too much organic matter will do that. The follow up treatments may only requires 1/5 of the content compared to the previous treatment. That's the reason why a number of mg/gallons varies with each treatment and that's how well read experts condammed PP and kill their fish with the same amount each time and overdose. They are not lying or put PP down. That's the fact but they simply just too mad PP had killed their fish and broadcast about it and not willing to trace back and find out what went wrong with their own procedures. I routinely do PP treatment every 2 weeks regardless how they feel. That's another No No for some experts. Anyway, I'll tell you the truth even someone may think I'm full of whatever.... I don't use any other medication except dewormer after resting the breeders for 3 months between breeding cycles.........with the exception of fry raising which is another ball game entirely as you all know.

Jimmy
    Last edited by JimmyL; 09-03-2005 at 05:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast