ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: potassium permanganate 3 min dip

Registered Member

Default potassium permanganate 3 min dip

does any one know the dosage for potassium permanganate 3 minutes dip?

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

Default Re: potassium permanganate 3 min dip

I believe the 3 minute dip is from Jim Quarles. If I remember right it's 1/8 tspn powder mix first is a pint of water before adding to a 20 gal. tank.
    Respectfully,
    John
    www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com

Registered Member

Hi,

The dosage that I have used with no problems is 1/8 tsp in 2.5 gallons of water for 3 min dip.

Works great and no dead fish...what more can you ask for.

HTH, Lester

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

Hi Lester,
    I've used the concentration you've used with the dreaded plague or whatever it was.
    I'm not sure if it did any good. Be careful with the 3 minute dip. There's a good chance of burning the gills and all the slime.
    Respectfully,
    John
    www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com

This is just part of the article Jim Quarles wrote.
    George

CLEANING UP AND TANK CONDITIONING WILD DISCUS
    By Jim E. Quarles

THE FIRST DIP.
    I now have had the fish for about a month if all is according to normal conditions. It is time for the first removal of external parasites. To do this I use Potassium Permanganate. I get the PP in powdered form and setup a 20-gallon dip tank.

I mix 1/6 teaspoon of PP to a pint of warm water. This is added to twenty gallons aged water in the dip tank. An air stone or two is set to bubble on high in the tank.

I then net two or more fish in a very large soft net and while keeping them in the net, dip them into the PP mix. I retain the fish in the net for up to 3 minutes in the pp bath. They are then removed while still in the net and placed in the new clean holding tanks. This process is repeated until all the fish have been dipped for three minutes each.

The use of the PP removes most if not all the slime coat on the fish through oxidation. Along with this removal the parasites are also washed away, or at least a lot of them if not all of them are washed off the fish. Some of those parasites even in the gills will be removed this way, but don't count on it for the total removal of gill flukes that treatment will come shortly in our follow up dips or baths.

The discus will replace its slime coat in about 24 hours and I sometimes use stress coat in the water to aide this replacement. If the fish still had some fin rot working the pp dip certainly will end it or slow it down greatly. After this first dip the fish are once again allowed to rest for a couple of days. I watch them closely and make notes as to any additional problems that need attention next.
    George

Hey George where did you get Jim's old notes? Very interesting.
    .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>