AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Red Turqs first spawn

Default Red Turqs first spawn

My young pair of Red Turqs spawned for the first time in my 90 gallon display tank.There are 8 other 3 to 4 inch Discus in the tank.The pair is just under 5 inches.They laid their eggs on a piece of driftwood.Looks like only about 50 eggs.I do have an extra 20 gallon tank I can set up for them.I have a feeling eggs will either get eaten by the parents or hatch then get eaten.Should I just let nature takes its course ,then put the pair in their own 20 gallon for them to spawn again?

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

Default Red Turqs first spawn

Let it runs its course. Then move em if you really want to breed. IME it was a lot more work than I though. Then you need grow out tanks, RO unit, brine shrimp eggs brine shrimp hatchery and be ready to double your water bill. Good luck! Hope it works for ya!
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Default Re: Red Turqs first spawn

I'll wait for them to spawn a few more times before move them to another tank, or if they are to young wait a few more months to move them.
    -Ismael

Agree,with the other two posters. I'd leave them be.

Ok I will leave them be for another month or so.This is my first time with a breeding pair of Discus too.They really don't seem to be paying too much attention to the eggs.Every once in a while they will chase the others away.This is the second day and eggs are still there.I am surprised they laid their eggs on a piece of driftwood and not a filter intake tube or even the side of the tank like my Angelfish did before I put a breeding cone in their tank.By the way my PH is 7.4 and My Nitrates are 10 to 15 ppm.Am going to change my water today.I change half of the 90 gallons every 2 or 3 days.Was thinking about getting some plants to help with the Nitrates,but that's on hold for now.I have a FX5 and 2 AC 110 filtering the tank.

They'll help with Nitrates but not that much unless you get a ton. I just have plants to have plants. Meanwhile, congrats! I think all discus hobbyist should try seperating one pair and try to raise a brood at least once. It's an awesome experience... but also a very "needy" experience. We're all different though on thinking what is "needy"; for me, I have a LOT of respect and appreciation for the hobbyist breeders and sponsor breeders/importers.

The pair that I used for my one time was the ugliest pair I ever had yet my favorite because they were AWESOME parents. When I put them back in the community tank (after I had failed their brood due to work/family/not enough time), they spawned and raised a small group in my community tank to almost a month old before I ended up killing those little guys too (thought it would be a bright idea to get a big *** filter yet it... well... we'll just say didn't turn out too good for the little guys). Well good luck!
    -Elliot