AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Controlling Diatoms

Default Controlling Diatoms

Hello everyone,

I was just curious how may others have encountered high levels of diatoms and what to do about them? My tank is not new(approx 8 mths), I've tried increasing the light, nitrates run about 10ppm, phosphates about 1ppm. Still.. I've noticed after 2-3 days after a water change, the brown algae reappears in the substrate/glass. This is a nuissance and unsightly presence more than anything else. Possible high levels of silicates? I think I may need to order a silicates test kit. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance...Ray

Default Re: Controlling Diatoms

Throw a packet of Seachem's Purigen in your filter until you figure out what is causing the problem, it will help control it.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    Throw a packet of Seachem's Purigen in your filter until you figure out what is causing the problem, it will help control it.
    I did try two packs of chemi-pure, not much of a reduction.. if any. I hate to keep throwing chemicals in the water...Ray

Purigen is quite different, you might want to give it a try. You can read about it on Seachem's website. It's not like other resins.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    Purigen is quite different, you might want to give it a try. You can read about it on Seachem's website. It's not like other resins.
    Thanks joan..we'll do..ray