AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Filter Media for Discus Tank - Water Polishing

Default Filter Media for Discus Tank - Water Polishing

Would love to hear comments on your experience with the effectiveness of water purifying/polishing products, such as:
    - Boyd's Chemi-Pure, vs.
    - Fluval Opti-Carb, vs.
    - Seachem Purigen
    for the discus tank.
    Let me know what you really think - are any of them very worthwhile ?
    discuspaul

Default Re: Filter Media for Discus Tank - Water Polishing

I just change the water.....to poor to buy more products lol

Registered Member

I've used Purigen in several non-discus planted tanks, and it's been amazing at removing the tannins that leech out of my driftwood. My water pretty much went from coffee to clear in a day.

Registered Member

There is a diatom filter called System 1 that is very user friendly and costs about $100. and is extremely efficient for polishing. I used to use a Vortex filter but I needed to destroy it in order to regain my sanity. It polished the water well enough but was the most crazy difficult piece of equipment I ever owned.
    Best regards,
    Harriett

Registered Member Discus master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Offpath View Post
    I've used Purigen in several non-discus planted tanks, and it's been amazing at removing the tannins that leech out of my driftwood. My water pretty much went from coffee to clear in a day.
    But wont some activated carbon and some water changes eliminate tannis as well, oh and I know the discus do not mind it in fact they probly like it even if we do not I know my self I want a crystal clear tank I would not like tannis either but I thought with the use of some activated carbon and water changes that this would take care of it rather quickly as well?
    So Many Discus, Not Enough Tanks!

Registered Member Discus master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    There is a diatom filter called System 1 that is very user friendly and costs about $100. and is extremely efficient for polishing. I used to use a Vortex filter but I needed to destroy it in order to regain my sanity. It polished the water well enough but was the most crazy difficult piece of equipment I ever owned.
    Best regards,
    Harriett
    Besides a UV sterlizer a Diatom filter is the 2nd item on my list I would still like to own in order to keep my water not only clear but also pathegon clean and I know UV and Diatom will do both
    So Many Discus, Not Enough Tanks!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discus master View Post
    But wont some activated carbon and some water changes eliminate tannis as well, oh and I know the discus do not mind it in fact they probly like it even if we do not I know my self I want a crystal clear tank I would not like tannis either but I thought with the use of some activated carbon and water changes that this would take care of it rather quickly as well?
    I did not find activated carbon to be effective at removing tannins. Since it's a non-discus planted tank, daily water changes would just remove all of the fertilizers I was trying to put in to the tank. I'm willing to do daily water changes for fish whose health depends on it; not so much for just removing tannins.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    Best regards,
    Harriett
    Haha! We had a Vortex too, what a PITA. I found it in the basement a couple years ago & thank goodness I couldn't get it to run. I threw it away with a clear conscious, it was our first non-tank expensive piece of equipment.

Also from the olden days of UGF we used Chemipure to polish the water. It gave it a nice crisp look.

I've only used Purigen once. Seemed to work ok & I like the idea of it being rechargeable.

For mechanical polishing I use either floss or a micron pad in the filter or an AC Quick Filter on a powerhead.

HOT Magnum Filter with the Micron Carts does a great job of polishing, it's easy to use and portable for use between tanks, not the QT tank of course, but still an option besides the Diatom or Purigen. I'm not sure if it filters down to 1 Micron that will remove pathogens/flukes though. Cons with this filter media, needs to soak in bleach overnight and dry before use but if you keep several it's no problem. It also has an inside canister that you can fill with carbon for med removal. Some folks run in 24/7 with the micron filter and change the filter cart after a few days of use. I just use it for spot cleaning during water changes and tank wipe downs etc.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

I use the Magnum HOTs, too. I run mine all the time except during feeding.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Rick

I use the hot magnums and magnum 350's in all my tanks. The cart is really only effective down to about 6 microns. You would actually have to start dropping below 0.5 microns to begin to start removing parasites, smaller yet for bacteria. Its great at removing particulate matter, won't touch tannins etc. Purigen inside of bags placed in the chemical chamber does this well with the hot's.

I've been thinking along those lines also Liz, replacing one of the 2 AC 70 HOBS with the HOT Mag, using the blue sleeve over the Micron Cart to extend life of the cart, and just let it rip 24/7. No bio filtration there, but I'm sure the other AC 70 and the Mark V sponge in the tank would provide enough to handle the load. It's just a 55 gal.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I use the hot magnums and magnum 350's in all my tanks. The cart is really only effective down to about 6 microns. You would actually have to start dropping below 0.5 microns to begin to start removing parasites, smaller yet for bacteria. Its great at removing particulate matter, won't touch tannins etc. Purigen inside of bags placed in the chemical chamber does this well with the hot's.
    Another good idea, placing the loose Purigen in bags inside the media holder. Had thought of doing that also but I only have the ready make Purigen packets. Don't know if they would fit into the media holder if squished down somewhat. I'll have to give it a try. One thing for sure, they are a handy little filter and Marineland folks even give instructions for using the Diatom Powder with it if needed for parasite population control. Haven't tried that either, yet.
    Joan R

Real Name
    Rick

I just buy the cheap aquaclear media bags for the aquaclear 50, seams to work just fine for the purigen. You only want to fill the bags about 1/2 to 2/3 full so it can tumble around within the bag.