ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After the PP fluke treatment

Thumbs up After the PP fluke treatment

I treated my 90 gallon tank yesterday for flukes using Potassium Permanganate, and aside from losing one cardinal tetra (he was on his last legs anyway), everything turned out well.

Thought I'd post some fotos, along with my water management system, which is a big part of how I've been able to improve the health of my fish.

http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/r...%20after%20PP/

Using Pond Oxy Clear (potassium permanganate) from Jehmco, I began with a half-dose. I filled a plastic container with about 2 cups of aquarium water and added 3/4 tsp. PP, and dumped it in. The water immediately turned bright pink to lavender. 5 minutes later it was losing its brightness, so I prepared another 1/4 tsp in aquarium water and dumped it in. Same thing after 15 minutes. I think I actually added about 2 teaspoons of PP total over the first hour and a half in the 90 gal.

At 3 hours I noticed my tetra drifting, and seeing that he'd given up the ghost, I added hydrogen peroxide, which immediately cleared the tank water, that by that time was getting brownish and hard to see through.

I don't think it stressed the discus too much, maybe a little irritation on the gill cover on the Red Mellon, but I'm not sure. In any event, we'll see if the fish stop flicking their fins so much.

-Don

Default Re: After the PP fluke treatment

Great pics Don. My only question be why not more tanks? Everything is set up so nicely that one more tank would be easy to take care of. Fish look nice and bright. The BDs look fantastic. Nice set up my friend.

Ed

Registered Member

Thank you so much for posting that. As I am sure you have read some of us ( at least me!) are having a heck of a time with these buggers and I am looking for better treatments. I like that PP has short term exposure.

Julie

Hi Don,
    If The pp changes like that so fast that usually means you had alot of organics in the water for it react with or something else is there thats causing it to react... When I use PP I start with a tank that I have done a massive water change on and I thoroughly rinse any sponges.

The other thing I noted in your Pictures is that you use Prime... I don't use it....but I have known people here that have used Prime and then tried using PP and the PP was spent very quickly....leads me to believe that it may react chemically.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

There is a direct interaction with Prime and PP, my "mentor" here at Simply told me that, and there is written info about it as well. Prime will neutralize PP, not as fast as Hydrogen peroxide, but neutralize it just the same. When you make the solution of PP use 2 to 3 teaspoons of PP per 250ml water, which is one cup. Use other then your tank water to make the solution or the PP can react with organics in the water, if you make the solution from tank water. You do a 4 hour minimum bath, 6 hours is better. After the PP bath change 50% of your water. I have used multiple treatments over several days and not lost any discus, in fact a pair started spawning right after. Sometimes the results are so fast its like a miracle, from death's door to looking perfectly fine. The trick, as my guru advised me, is to check the fish and solution in the tank every 15 mins to 1/2 hour for a consistent pink color (no brown or yellow) and that the fish are not laying on their sides on the bottom. If the water gets lighter pink add back some PP solution to make it a darker pink, just not dark purple. When the water turns yellow or brown due to organics, stop the treatment and change out 50% of the water. Try again in 24 hours, multiple treatments may be needed. The fish will look affected during treatment, breathing harder and fins closed, but after treatment they will be better then new, if parasites were the problem.

If the fish react badly during treatment, a capful of peroxide will instantly neutralize the PP.
    Last edited by MSD; 03-31-2009 at 01:50 PM.
    Mark

Thanks for the confirmations Mark!

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Pretty much it in a nutshell MSD. The key is to make sure you dont follow the intructions on the oxy clear bottle. The great thing is the water is free of organics and crystal clear after the treatment(if you water was decent to begin with). I did a treatment with Don at my place to show him the color or the water and dosing etc... After the treatment I had mentioned that at least 3 pair would lay eggs within 2 days. Two pair breed the next morning. One thing I really liked about Dons BDs were how bright they were. I dont know if is the quality of the water or striping of the top slime layer but the fish do seem to brighten up a bit. With high organics you may have to redose if you have a hard time keeping the water pink. If you try to redose after putting Hydroge peroxide in it wont work. Wait 2 day and repeat. Better anyway if treating for flukes.

Ed

Its great stuff and I'm so glad a Simply sponser spent his time to explain it to me so well.
    Mark

Registered Member

Another success story using PP!

Registered Member

Would it be possible to have this thread made a sticky? It's perfect info should any of us ever need to use PP!

Quote Originally Posted by judy View Post
    Would it be possible to have this thread made a sticky?
    done

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

where to get PP?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

PP can be purchased at Jemhco and is sold as oxy clear. It runs around $16 per bottle. The bottle will last a long time. Keep in mind to cut back the dose to at least half of what is reccommended and work your way up to a pink solution. Just wanted to say that I too learned this from sponsers here on SD. I cant say enough about how much they help us here on SD. Thank You

Hi all,

Since this is such a serious chemical to use I thought it best I create a separate thread where I will list all many of the threads here that have info on the Use of PP in them..... This thread is included in that new listing and I'll sticky that.. I encourage everyone to really do your research before using PP.

Hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

A very prudent idea Al, thanks.
    Mark

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast