AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Bloodworms only?

Default Bloodworms only?

One of my discus will olny take frozen bloodworms. If this is all that he will eat will he be healthy? Is there any other food that he may eat if he is so picky? I've tried beefheart, and he spits it out. He will eat live foods but I do not want to feed him that. He is a blue turk turk is about 2.5-3 in. long.
    Nick

Banned

Smile Re: Bloodworms only?

Frozen bloodworms alone is not a sufficient diet for a discus. They need more. Try getting it to eat a quality flake or pellet. Ocean Nutrition makes quality flake products that my discus accepted immediately. You may have to coax it alittle, but you can get him to eat it.

Mat

Default Re: Bloodworms only?

Which ocean nutrition flakes do You use? Would pellets be ok. I have tetra color bits and tetramin crisps and he will not eat them.
    Nick

Nick , Ocean Nutrition Formula one and Ocean Nutrition Brine Shrimp Plus . those two flake foods should get your fish going well .

Roberto.

Registered Member

There was a member here several years ago who fed his fish nothing but FBW....from 2.5" to breeder size, just to see how they did. Their coloration was poor and from what I remember when they spawned, their fecundity very poor. As everyone stated earlier, a good quality pelleted diet is sufficient for most fish (depending on brand). Biggest problem as you have encountered is getting them to eat it.

-Ryan
    Last edited by Dkarc@Aol.com; 01-05-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Banned

Smile Re: Bloodworms only?

Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes and Prime Reef Flakes as well as the 2 Roberto suggested are all eaten by my discus. Seafood is the primary ingredient in the flakes, which I like. All have the proper protein and fat content for discus health.

I, too, raised some fry on FBW's alone, and they were poor quality compared to their siblings who had a more varied diet. Discus need some carbs in their diet.

Mat

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    There was a member here several years ago who fed his fish nothing but discus....
    oh my goodness

sorry thought this was funny

Sorry I dont have the money to feed my discus discus

Sounds like ocean nutrition is the way to go.

How did u guys entice your discus into eating it? Did u just stricktly feed the flakes or pellets until they gave in and ate it? Then once you got them eating it is that all you feed them (different flavors of flakes)?
    Last edited by jackpot21n; 01-05-2009 at 07:16 PM.
    Nick

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bobears View Post
    oh my goodness

sorry thought this was funny
    Fixed

Nick,
    You can try offering only flakes untill they start to eat them. Once they get hungry enough they will eat them. Or add a small amount of the flakes with each meal untill they get used to them.
    Once they are eating the flakes you'll still want to offer FBW's and start working other foods into their diet so they get a variety.

Kacey

Once they are eating the flakes you'll still want to offer FBW's and start working other foods into their diet so they get a variety.
    What other foods are there?
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot21n View Post
    What other foods are there?
    As you have mentioned, there is BH and TetraBits. I feed my fish on them, along with BW's and sometimes flakes or frozen brineshrimp.

Kacey

Some of my little guys that are about 2.5" just started taking pellets and some of them still refuse. What I did first was get them used to eating FBW's from a worm cone. Then I put the FBW's and pellets at the same time so they had no choice but to get the pellets. Like I said though, on a couple of them fell for this trick.

Anthony