ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: ATI Hydrosponge Hack

Default ATI Hydrosponge Hack

I reviewed the new ATI Hydrosponge design here.

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...TI-Hydrosponge

Its pretty much the same as the old design but the base is really poorly designed and filled with gravel. I hate the new design.

Looking at options. Theres a chinese made clone of these sold all over the place. They are black and the design is a little different in that they have a rigid tube that goes to the base and the plate it sits it has holes. The flaw here is these get clogged up and the sponge filter doesnt work as well as the hydrosponge. They are cheap though..currently on amazon for about $5 with sponge and cage.

Ive tried them but didnt like the reduced air flow and filtration . However looking at them again this weekend I realized something. If you just cut the tube in the lower half of the cage you basically make an old style ATI hydrosponge and cheaper then they are.

0520240718_HDR~2.jpg

0520240719~2.jpg

0520240719a~2.jpg

0520240731~2.jpg

by cutting the lower tube assembly you bypass the problems with the base plate clogging and reduced air flow. Leave the top tube alone and its pretty much like the hydro Sponge assembly where you attach a small piece of airline tubing. The only thing you cant do is attach an airstone which I never do anyway.

works great.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-20-2024 at 08:00 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: ATI Hydrosponge Hack

oh and incidentally if you want to up the filtration even more buy the hydro 5 non-professional small poor
    replacement sponges to use on the Modified asian cage assembly. The sponges these come with stock are size wise an Ati hydro 4 sponge.

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Got a link for the sponges?

AQUAPAPA Bio Sponge Filter for Betta Fry Aquarium Fish Tank Up to 60 Gal ea. 3-Pack (L) https://a.co/d/biWULZP

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

hydro sponge replacements..

Jehmco.com

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Thanks, Al.

Real Name
    Brian

I've had one of those for several years and I didn't even know that's how it was designed. I actually like the way it performs, but I didn't like the base because it mounts the filter too close to the bottom and too much junk gets trapped. I also like the sponge material itself because it's firm and interchangeable with the API segments.

Now, if anyone want's to know my hack regarding the API Hydro Pro - Throw the sponge in the trash and order the regular series replacement sponges!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I've had one of those for several years and I didn't even know that's how it was designed. I actually like the way it performs, but I didn't like the base because it mounts the filter too close to the bottom and too much junk gets trapped. I also like the sponge material itself because it's firm and interchangeable with the API segments.

Now, if anyone want's to know my hack regarding the API Hydro Pro - Throw the sponge in the trash and order the regular series replacement sponges!!
    It would be bettet mounted on a collar Brian but No hacks there. i think I may pick up a few pieces of tiles at homedepot and silicone them on.

The asian assemblies work okay until they don't. the holes get blocked up and they put out less and less air.. since they dont come apart to clean you then have to use a fawcett or hose and pressure it out.. its a pain and getting sprayed with it in the process is no fun.

one snip and its all better

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com