ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purple Martins

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Purple Martins

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Seems kind of cold still here. Guessing a lot of birds are having problems with the weather. What’s the secret to get humming birds? We’ve got a lot of flowering plants in my yard but non flowering yet. Wife put up a humming bird feeder near my bird feeders but haven’t seen any thing.
    Might be a little early for hummingbirds yet. I haven't put out feeders yet, but haven't seen them around yet either. I don't usually see them until June. But that could just be my neighborhood. We don't have a ton around, so I find the feeders to be a pain trying to keep them clean and all that. You can harm more than help if you're not on the ball. I usually keep my hummingbird feeder 20+ feet from the other feeders, but not sure if that's necessary. Humming birds follow jewelweed when they head south in the fall, not sure what they follow coming back north in the spring.

The Hummingbirds return to the Northeast timed to when Tubular Flowers are openning..things like Honey Suckles,Azaleas, Rhododendrons,and Columbine. Not all flowers have nectar for them.. Mine have returned here already so I am sure yours have Tom.

Good plants for them.
    Fuschia
    Orange Jewel weed
    Petunia
    Impatiens
    Bee Balm
    Orange Trumpet flower/vine
    Phlox
    Columbine
    Salvia
    Azalea
    Red Cardinal Flower
    Rhododendron
    Lupine
    Mountain Laurel
    New Jersey Tea
    Anise Hysop
    Honey Suckles

Humming bird feeders

Oh and this is a cool site...

https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/h...-migration.htm
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-16-2024 at 11:29 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks again Al! Have to check those plants. Honey suckle is bad for dogs. Have it growing all around me. Yes many pics of hummingbirds on the sites. So they’re here. Think I’ll move that feeder to the other side of the yard. See how it goes. I’m learning here! Set up a bird feeder last week and had 3 sparrows show up. They were regular for a few days. Thought I was doing the right thing. Than some catbirds (always think of the cat dog cartoon) and gackles. Than the blue jays and cardinals. Now I’ve got and no kidding about 30 sparrows 10 gackels 2 mourning doves and any other straggler that can squeeze it beak in there!! Even pigeons. The feeder got dirty with the ran last night. So I cleaned one up and refilled it. The other is just a bad design and needs a complete wash. Put the one up and it’s big! Was empty in an hour!! What have I created!! Now they’re all out there waiting for me to refill it.IMG_3269.jpg. Thinking Hitchcocks the birds!

English house sparrows are a pain. .. that butterfly bush should bring you some nice critters.

For bird feeders.. where we are your best option for seed is black oilseed and sunflower seed .. you will get the best action with that. and the english house sparrows tend to ignore it.

This kind of feeder..

0516242040b~2.jpg

is best.. seeds stay dry and its engineered to close holes if squirrels and other heavy critters try to use it.

thistleseed is good for finches as well..
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sounds like you need a larger feeder Tom
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12