ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Aging water

Real Name
    Charlie

Default Aging water

So a few questions:

1. When aging tap to see if pH changes, do I also need to monitor the GH and KH to see if that changes or will that stay the same no matter how long I leave it out?

2. Gonna get an RODI soon and plan on remineralising by cutting with tap and my tap pH shifts a lot over 24 hours so will it be okay to mix the tap and RO straight away. What I would do is fill the bucket first with tap to however much I need (I’ll work out a ratio) 24 hours before I need the water and once thats filled I’ll top the rest off with RO with the other side of the ratio and while thats filling up the the tap will be aging while the RO is going. Or would I have to age the water first and then the RO?

3. Does RODI water need to be aged like tap water does or will it be fine?

Keep in mind this is all for discus so parameters are pretty important here.

Thanks.

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Aging water

I leave some tap in the bottom of the barrel and top off with RO as it's filling. RO still needs to be aged (at least to my understanding). KH and GH do not change with aging.

You do not need to go with RODI, you can go with JUST RO and be just fine.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I leave some tap in the bottom of the barrel and top off with RO as it's filling. RO still needs to be aged (at least to my understanding). KH and GH do not change with aging.

Correct! The ph is fluctuations are from compressed gasses and only time can remove them. Heating and agitating the water speeds the process.

Real Name
    Charlie

I would go with just RO but honestly it’s easier and cheaper to get an RODI. Also could come in handy if I ever got a sw tank.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Cjbear087 View Post
    I would go with just RO but honestly it’s easier and cheaper to get an RODI. Also could come in handy if I ever got a sw tank.
    Interesting that it is cheaper, are you pricing units with the same capacity as each other? It's an extra filter for the 4th stage (which is why it's strange that it would be cheaper) and I think the DI filter needs to be replaced fairly frequently? I don't own one, though, I could be wrong.

DI filter goes fast not worth using even the replaceable resin. I have 2 in the output but I bypass and use that to rinse my PH probe and If I have to hatch some eggs.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Charlie

It’s actually hard to find a normal RO machine here without the resin lol. I’ll just buy an RODI and would I be ok to just keep using the rodi even when the di has been fully used up? The sudden tds won’t shock the discus or anything right?

Real Name
    Jacob

Just hook it up with the DI bypassed and save any future hassle of it having suddenly caused a shift in water parameters. I get 0-2 TDS water out of my RO unit, but I put water through the RO that's gone through a water softener first. So that probably helps me a bit.

Real Name
    Brian

When I used a DI unit the water smelled like rotten eggs once the resin was used up.

Real Name
    Charlie

Just hook it up with the DI bypassed and save any future hassle of it having suddenly caused a shift in water parameters. I get 0-2 TDS water out of my RO unit, but I put water through the RO that's gone through a water softener first. So that probably helps me a bit.
    Ah ok. How would I go about bypassing the DI so it’s just using the 3 stages instead of 4? I also use a water softener which will be before my RO unit so will probably have similar results to you.

Last stage there should be a line going in and one out just remove the line going in to the DI and use that as your RO. Mine is a 5 stage semi comercial and at the end I added the DI cartridges. Post a pic.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th