ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Smart Phones

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Smart Phones

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    The device itself is listening but not outputting to the net or recording. If I disconnect the router and ask alexa it tells you that it can't connect but it listens.
    I hope you're correct, Chunk. I won't ever have one. I don't even understand the appeal, if I'm honest. But I'm a pretty simple guy.
    How do you know it's not recording? Our phones log an unbelievable amount of information (see post above) unlocks, attempts, the way the phone is being held, if it MOVED. I have a VERY difficult time believing that an Alexa is also not collecting similar data even if it doesn't have the same telemetry (or does it?). Perhaps it's not recording, but collecting meta data (how often certain things are said, for instance).

I know they've used Alexa recordings in murder cases, but I guess I don't know if it was just a long shot trying to gather information or if it was actually helpful.

The truth of the matter is, I do have a smart phone, so how much different would having an Alexa be? Probably not much.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I hope you're correct, Chunk. I won't ever have one. I don't even understand the appeal, if I'm honest. But I'm a pretty simple guy.
    How do you know it's not recording? Our phones log an unbelievable amount of information (see post above) unlocks, attempts, the way the phone is being held, if it MOVED. I have a VERY difficult time believing that an Alexa is also not collecting similar data even if it doesn't have the same telemetry (or does it?). Perhaps it's not recording, but collecting meta data (how often certain things are said, for instance).

I know they've used Alexa recordings in murder cases, but I guess I don't know if it was just a long shot trying to gather information or if it was actually helpful.

The truth of the matter is, I do have a smart phone, so how much different would having an Alexa be? Probably not much.
    Smart phones are more and more a necessity. They connect us to work and family. My bank won't let you use the drive up to teller without one so they can send you a code. We get verification codes now for most things. You really need a smart phone for alot of modern Life. But you can turn it off and if you understand how smart phones work you can reasonably protect your privacy. Alexa is not a necessity. For some people ts probably fun to feel like they have a personal assistant and eventually that will evolve into amazon selling Androids. Alexa bring me my coffee. Alexa scratch my back. Alexa, Bring me a beer.

Here you go.. Astro version 1.0

alexa.jpg

This one comes with the ability to toss your dogs treats so you don't have to get up and interact with your pooch yourself...probably could modify that to throw goldfish and cheerios to toddlers.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-16-2024 at 01:51 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post

What I understand is the smartphones are actual computers Alexa is actually cloud drivin like siri. You couldn't fit the amount of computing power that those two need in your home they have huge warehouses for that. Two different animals.

Amazon Web Services (AWS) data centers that power Alexa are located in several regions around the world, including:
    North America: Northern Virginia, Oregon, and Ohio
    Europe: Ireland, Frankfurt, London, Paris, and Stockholm
    Asia: Mumbai, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, and Sydney
    South America: São Paulo
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 05-16-2024 at 01:59 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Jacob

What I understand is the smartphones are actual computers Alexa is actually cloud drivin like siri. You couldn't fit the amount of computing power that those two need in your home they have huge warehouses for that. Two different animals.
    Isn't an Alexa multiple times the size of a smart phone? Maybe I'm not following you.

Al, a robot following me around the house sounds a lot like one of my cats and both of the dogs.

Alexa is dozens of buildings that house computer arrays. On my post above I posted the known locations.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 05-16-2024 at 02:14 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Jacob

Alexa is hundreds of buildings that house computer arrays. On my post above I posted the known locations.
    I'm failing to understand why it couldn't be parsing data locally?

Feel like I'm dragging this way out into the weeds lol. I'm not trying to be obstinate!

Jacob, its just a discussion... have fun with it. I keep feeling like Chucks going to tell us any moment that his real name is Jeff Bezos .. Either that or he just really likes Alexa

al

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

To be Fair... none of the smart assistants are what I would call, privacy oriented, though ALEXA is a greedy one.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/amazons-a...mart-assistant

1.jpg

2.png

3.png

4.jpg

5.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-16-2024 at 02:28 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Their is a price to pay on all of them. Yes I use alexa and I wish I had Jeff Bezos money. I have a lot of smart plugs and switches, all my tanks are controlled through my phone (temperature, lights ..etc) and yes I can tell Alexa to open the garage door. But I only use Alexa for a timer, turn off my basement lights (all individual led floor lamps) and listen to SiriusXM by pool in the summer. I don't do any queries or anything important. Oh It knows what time I wake up also (Echo Show for alarm clock). But my wife will not talk to that b***h.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Their is a price to pay on all of them. Yes I use alexa and I wish I had Jeff Bezos money. I have a lot of smart plugs and switches, all my tanks are controlled through my phone (temperature, lights ..etc) and yes I can tell Alexa to open the garage door. But I only use Alexa for a timer, turn off my basement lights (all individual led floor lamps) and listen to SiriusXM by pool in the summer. I don't do any queries or anything important. Oh It knows what time I wake up also (Echo Show for alarm clock). But my wife will not talk to that b***h.
    LMAO.. I have alot of respect for your wife.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Smart woman. You should keep her.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    Smart woman. You should keep her.
    I am lucky if she keeps me.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Good one Chuck, I refuse to have alexa in my house also
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

I have friends that cover the camera on their laptops for privacy. They use Alexa and Siri. I laugh at them.

Some come with a shutter the Echo show has one and turns the camera off and covers the lens and it's manual so you need to slide off.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast