AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discus keeping friends

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Discus keeping friends

Guess I'm the lucky one. We have ~10 people in the Twin Cities who keep discus. There used to be more 20 years ago - so much so that I formed the Frostbite Falls Discus Club. We had 3 - 4 meetings a year at various fish rooms and even brought in some importers. The large Hmong population here means many of them keep fish. And at least three organizations put up swap meets open to the public. These don't compare with the ones in Chicago or Quad City, but it's better than nothing.

Most of the independent pet stores in the area keep discus, but one of them specializes in ornamentals and brings in discus that rival SD' sponsors - both in quality and price. Check out Imported Fish if you're ever in the area. Here's some of their stuff.

Picture1.jpg
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    You and me both mate. Never had a FB acct or anything of the sort. I scan Craigslist during my sometimes long nights at work at the hospital, and the GCAS post their events to CL so that’s how I see them. I am a forum member but about 99.5% of their traffic now is on FB so there’s months and months that go by without a single new post

Dang so by comparison we are a vibrant online forum community
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    [/B] Dang so by comparison we are a vibrant online forum community
    We used to have a group out here , North East Discus Association.. NEDA. we met 3-4 x a year at each others homes.... very often here.
    https://forum.simplydiscus.com/forum...ciation-(NEDA)

those were good times fun get togethers. We drew members from Nj north...Even had a Canadian member. Sometimes we had 15-20 keepers and their families. Alot of them moved on and then I had to tale a break for a few years. Not many of us around anymore in the hobby .

There used to be alot of regional local discus groups ..most are dead and buried in the forum archives.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-16-2024 at 06:05 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    [/B] Dang so by comparison we are a vibrant online forum community
    Oh without a doubt Al!

Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr 63 corv View Post
    Hey Jake I live in London, wife has family in New Albany. I honestly don't know many people where I live, moved there not to long ago. Travel all the time for work, lucky my wife takes pretty good care of things when I'm gone.
    Neat! London is decent 2 1/2-ish hour drive. Driven through there multiple times when going on a long weekend vacation to Gatlinburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Guess I'm the lucky one. We have ~10 people in the Twin Cities who keep discus. There used to be more 20 years ago - so much so that I formed the Frostbite Falls Discus Club. We had 3 - 4 meetings a year at various fish rooms and even brought in some importers. The large Hmong population here means many of them keep fish. And at least three organizations put up swap meets open to the public. These don't compare with the ones in Chicago or Quad City, but it's better than nothing.

Most of the independent pet stores in the area keep discus, but one of them specializes in ornamentals and brings in discus that rival SD' sponsors - both in quality and price. Check out Imported Fish if you're ever in the area. Here's some of their stuff.
    Willie, my employer has an office in Maple Grove and I've frequented MSP several times over the last few years. Never knew that fish store existed. Next time I'm flying in for work, I'll have to make a note to visit that store after work hours if I have a rental vehicle available.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    ...Willie, my employer has an office in Maple Grove and I've frequented MSP several times over the last few years. Never knew that fish store existed. Next time I'm flying in for work, I'll have to make a note to visit that store after work hours if I have a rental vehicle available.
    Send me a Private Message beforehand and I'll make something happen for you.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Cdr 63 corv Lol you’ve got a great set up! Should start a thread here I’m sure others would like to read about it.

I’m in NYC. I’ve met a few discus keeper locally but nobody I knew outside of the forums. Worked with hundreds of people in the construction trades but only met a few aquarium keeper. Most kept or were trying to keep planted tanks. Gave away lots of plants .

Many aquarium keeper on Facebook. But it’s a strange format. Post your picture, show your problem than move on. Nothing gets solved! So much different info your mind will spin. Most discus sites end up just being seller advertising pages. Well this is most sites regular fish and discus. The local sites have all the people with the 20-30g tanks trying to sell them.
    Last edited by Iminit; 05-16-2024 at 10:29 AM.

Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Send me a Private Message beforehand and I'll make something happen for you.
    I'll keep that in mind Willie, thanks!

Registered Member

There are a few discus hobbyists here in RI. We have a tropical fish society that meets every third Wednesday of each month. Having school age children, it’s hard for me to attend evening meetings. There is a robust reefing community in and around MA, RI and CT. There are monthly meetings and annual shows. I have more reefing friends than discus friends.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12