ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus keeping friends

Default Discus keeping friends

I'm pretty much the only person in my local vicinity among my friends and family that keeps discus...or even any aquarium fish. I think at this time my closest discus keeping friend (SD member: brady) is about 50 mins away. Wasnt always that way .. we used to have a pretty decent CT discus group but most moved on.

I would assume that if you are in an urban area you probably have more friends thats also keep discus but I would bet a bunch of you are geographically isolated in their hobby.

Do you have discus keepers near you that you are friends with that you physically visit with?
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Discus keeping friends

I actually do not know anyone nearby who keeps discus. All my fishy friends are either here or on FB. I don't even visit my local aquarium shops (In my younger days when I kept marine aquariums I would visit my local shops once a week to see what they had). Gotten lazy as I have gotten older I guess.

I use to get with Ryan once or twice a year but he stepped away from fish keeping and is doing other things!
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Nobody here. I don't even know other fish keepers save for one guy who keeps marine fish.
    Mama Bear

I got the idea to contact one of my local customers for black rams and I know he keeps discus. He showed me some new ones he got so I told him to post on the forum. He is registered here so I said to him we trying to get a little more traffic at the form. I hope he post them, nice looking discus.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 05-15-2024 at 08:29 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    I got the idea to contact one of my local customers for black rams and I know he keeps discus. He showed me some new ones he got so I told him to post on the forum. He is registered here so said to him we trying to get a little more traffic at the form. I hope he post them, nice looking discus.
    Hey Chucks Friend! Welcome to the forum!
    introduce yourself !
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I know there are few people in Austin/Dallas/San Antonio that keep discus, but I don’t know them personally.
    I was about to meet one in Dallas this weekend, but my kiddos tournament change locations to Houston.

It is rare to find someone that keeps discus I would say, unfortunately discus have a BAD reputation among fellow fish keepers.
    Even when I go to the best local fish store (knowledgeable owners) they prefer to stay away from discus.

Do you experience the same thing?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

I know Liz. I have visited her when I was working in Mississippi. Only 400 miles from where I live.

Real Name
    Jacob

I think fish keeping is a more popular hobby than we tend to think. However, I think a lot of it is very small scale... someone keeping a 10 gallon tank in their kids bedroom and they fill it back up when 50% of the water has evaporated out of the tank. When I first learned that we have one of, if not the, biggest fish swap in the country just 30 minutes south of me... I was shocked. It's always absolutely packed. I know it's pretty central so a lot of people travel to it, but it's still a little shocking to see the number of people who show up. I think discus people have gotten a bit more quiet, to be honest. So many people talk *redacted* about discus keepers being "divas" and other varieties of nonsense. I think a lot of that energy comes from people who happen to live where they have basically Amazon River water flowing out of their tap and they can get away with murder.

Real Name
    Jake

Jacob makes a lot of sense - I think the hobby of fish keeping in general is pretty popular, but it's on a smaller scale. I know many folks who have 10-30 gallon tanks, but don't take it seriously (or should I say, don't nerd out like I do). Most don't even know what the fish cycle is. They don't do water changes - they just top up the water when it evaporates out. They don't buy fancy or expensive fish. When the fish inevitably die, they just go back to the store and buy new ones. They don't want to be educated about how to properly care for them. Because of this, most don't like the challenge of keeping anything fancier or requiring more effort like discus.

I'd have to say I don't think there are many clubs locally that meet or have any form of swap meet. It would be awesome to be a part of an active group.

Real Name
    Aaron

According to a survey done this year and published in Forbes, there are 11.1 million American households that keep freshwater fish. and another 2.2 million keep saltwater, making fish the third most popular pets after dogs and cats, more popular than birds, small animals (hamsters, rabbits etc), reptiles and horses.

In my large family, the generation that preceded me all caught the fish bug in the 1950s. Virtually every relative we visited when I was young had aquariums and a copy of Innes's EXOTIC AQUARIUM FISHES, which they/we used to call 'the fish bible.' Their children, my cousins and I, all inherited that enthusiasm (and the book) for fishkeeping so, yes, I have an inner circle of nearby fish buddies. Several of them have kept Discus over the years. Two still do.
    Last edited by gimaal; 05-15-2024 at 01:12 PM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I have 5 fish geek friends I visit face to face periodically within a 45 min radius. I met them thru fish buying and selling locally. Not discus keepers, but mostly cichlids, and some live bearers, shrimp etc. A bit of a mixed bag really. I’m not a member but I do go to the GCAS swap meets every now and then as well

Real Name
    Daniel

Jake whereabouts are you in KY? The GCAS has a separate meet annually and an auction annually. The swap meet is packed with vendors and fish and fish products.

I agree with you regarding no water changes, not knowing the nitrogen cycle and just replacing fish as they die. I would add the information given by most big box store associates, most of whom don’t keep fish, is to replace the filter sponge media in their HOB every month with a new clean one, thus never letting the tank fully cycle and perpetuating the dead fish rebuy cycle, not to mention the needless over purchasing of replacement filter screens etc. It drives me nuts

Real Name
    Jake

I live in the Louisville Metro area, so it's about 2 hours to Cincinnati. Might have to try and take a look at their info a little closer. I don't use social media apart from forums, so a lot of the information that's posted on Facebook, etc I don't ever see.

Real Name
    Daniel

You and me both mate. Never had a FB acct or anything of the sort. I scan Craigslist during my sometimes long nights at work at the hospital, and the GCAS post their events to CL so that’s how I see them. I am a forum member but about 99.5% of their traffic now is on FB so there’s months and months that go by without a single new post

Registered Member

Hey Jake I live in London, wife has family in New Albany. I honestly don't know many people where I live, moved there not to long ago. Travel all the time for work, lucky my wife takes pretty good care of things when I'm gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast