ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fun but Quiet Morning at Joe Overstreet

Default Re: Fun but Quiet Morning at Joe Overstreet

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yes I realized that. Do I need a Tamron TC for this lens? Do they make something like that or are all TC made for prime type lenses?
    Tom the Tamron 600mm G2. does have a Tamron Teleconverter that works with it. I have one here. its not
    really bad but honestly the degradation isnt worth it. And handheld shooting on a long lens like yours with a teleconverter is ridiculously hard. I never use mine except on a tripod and bright light days. You will get better images by cropping a well focused image.

Pats Nikon Z9 is full frame with her teleconverter and lens 800mm.. ...(correct me if Im wrong Pat) your nikon d7500 is a cropped sensor.. when you put a 600mm lens on a cropped sensor like your d7500 its the equivalent of 600 mm x 1.5 =900m

crop factor explained ....https://www.apotelyt.com/camera-spec...00-sensor-crop

So your combination of camera and lens actually is longer than hers... but she can crop images tighter because her camera is full frame. its complicated and Im not good at explaining this stuff but in a nutshell. A teleconverter isnt going to make your images like hers..

But practice and a steady hand with what you have will allow you to crop your images and still have a focused image. Its really about technique and practice.

If you want more info on how her gear and yours differs...
    https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-cam...00-vs-nikon-z9

lastly... see https://photographylife.com/reviews/...mm-f5-6-3-g2/2
    to understand what your 600mm g2 is capable of.. note.. your d7500 has the exact sensor and processor as the d500 in the authors article.... so can do the same.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-15-2024 at 05:26 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Al, yes, you are totally correct and I love the Z9.

Tom, Al is totally correct. It takes time and practice and you are doing great. I suggest you get out and practice as much as you can. Learn your camera and it's settings and the relationship to each other. I have been at this since 2012 (or so). Al much longer. It was suggested to me to become a manual shooter and it is the faster way to learn your camera. Then practice, practice, practice. Join a local camera club if you have one nearby. I belong to the Orlando Camera Club and I am it's IT director. Photography is my retirement passive.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

That's funny that the subject about teleconverters showed up. I was going to ask you Al if it worth getting one for my 55 - 300mm. I don't know if Nikon makes one for my lens. I saw a Kenko Tokina on eBay but no idea if its any good.

2X TELECONVERTER FOR AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR MAKES INTO 110-600
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    That's funny that the subject about teleconverters showed up. I was going to ask you Al if it worth getting one for my 55 - 300mm. I don't know if Nikon makes one for my lens. I saw a Kenko Tokina on eBay but no idea if its any good.

2X TELECONVERTER FOR AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR MAKES INTO 110-600
    Chuck thats a big no go. the optics of that lens just won't work well at all with a TC and in your case you would probably lose autofocus as the d5000 relies on the Autofocus motor of the Lens..Teleconverters dont have autofocus motors the exception being an older one made by pentax. and since the converter goes between the lens and camera its a disconnect in most likelihood. Some may still work but the light loss would makebit pretty useless.
    Nikon is also pretty wonky with 3rd.party gear..its often hit or miss how well it works. If it works at all it would probably be slow and hunt for an autofocus lock.
    Sorry .
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-15-2024 at 11:17 AM.

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Thanks for the warning Al thats why I ask.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Tom

Yes the TC’s dont transfer the power needed to AF and some can short out the camera or lens. That’s the Nikon warning about their own TC’s. Lots to know about these things! The way they advertised you’d think they could be used for any Nikon lens.
    Last edited by Iminit; 05-15-2024 at 02:27 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

years ago i had an endengered species permit & had bobwhite that the males would call in wild ones from a federal preserve 2 blocks away. Al thats just across the POND.

Harry thats cool to know. Funny I am so close to Long Island but its such a hassel to get to there from me I rarely get out there.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12