AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Phones

Real Name
    Brian

Default Smart Phones

I once read that the word "SMART" in Smart Phone actually refers to Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology.

This may sound like a conspiracy theory, but a few observations... We all know how bad phone scammers can be. At one point, I was receiving over 50 scam calls per day. In the past 2 years while traveling for work, all the scam calls I received mysteriously changed from my local area code to the area code I was driving through at the moment in order to trick me into answering unrecognized phone numbers and make me think they were local to me. This also applied to "verified" numbers. This is why I don't answer the phone unless the number is in my contacts list. If someone is legitimate, they can leave a message and I'll call them back. Few scammers leave messages...

Yesterday, Pat and I were talking on the phone and I told her I was replacing the nasty caulking in my bathtub and how tedious a job it can be. Today, when I checked Facebook, I'm forced to look at multiple ads for caulk, caulking tools and bathroom remodelers...

Coincidence? I don't think so!! lol...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Default Re: Smart Phones

I love my flip phone.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    I love my flip phone.
    Ah, the ole flip phone IS the new smart phone…clever Gary lolz

Real Name
    Brian

I've often considered switching back to the flip phone but the smart phone has dumbed me down to where I can't navigate like I used to and I've become dependent upon my GPS. I've also see that most flip phones have incorporated "smart" technology to some degree. "They" will get us all in some way! I did like the way my Razr fit in my pocket though, lol...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I hear you Brian, it's always listening especially if you use verbal commands.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 05-14-2024 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I wish I could go back to a flip phone. But like Brian, I need the GPS and I also need to talk to my SIL in Rio via WhatsApp.
    Mama Bear

I never get calls on my phone they all go to voicemail. Now I get scam text messages. I text with " hello " or "I found this number on my phone and I don't who you are". and sometime sales pitches.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Ruggedized flip phone for the win. I have dropped it 12 feet onto a concrete floor. Keeps on ticking like a Timex. I had GPS on a laptop in my work van for years. The laptop got the blue screen of death. Now I use GPS on an Ipad. The laptop was better. I would replace the laptop but the GPS software is no longer available.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I wish I could go back to a flip phone. But like Brian, I need the GPS and I also need to talk to my SIL in Rio via WhatsApp.
    I remember the first time I stopped by your place. The GPS cut out where the asphalt road ended. I was less than 100 yards away and you had to come rescue me

Real Name
    Mervin

Google assistant tells me that Alexa doesn't always play by the rules as far as privacy goes. Imagine that!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I once read that the word "SMART" in Smart Phone actually refers to Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology.

This may sound like a conspiracy theory, but a few observations... We all know how bad phone scammers can be. At one point, I was receiving over 50 scam calls per day. In the past 2 years while traveling for work, all the scam calls I received mysteriously changed from my local area code to the area code I was driving through at the moment in order to trick me into answering unrecognized phone numbers and make me think they were local to me. This also applied to "verified" numbers. This is why I don't answer the phone unless the number is in my contacts list. If someone is legitimate, they can leave a message and I'll call them back. Few scammers leave messages...

Yesterday, Pat and I were talking on the phone and I told her I was replacing the nasty caulking in my bathtub and how tedious a job it can be. Today, when I checked Facebook, I'm forced to look at multiple ads for caulk, caulking tools and bathroom remodelers...

Coincidence? I don't think so!! lol...
    It is absolutely no coincidence. I had the same experience around scam calls, being away from home calls change area code. I am sure they have to have some sort of access to cookies or IP address or cell towers to do that. Since then, I turned off location tracking in all apps. I prefer to input my zip code to find what I am looking for rather than rely on location tracking.

Theres definitely alot more data being collected by all these devices without any of us knowing... heck you can't even trust your car ...
    https://www.marketplace.org/2024/04/...eir-knowledge/

what gets me though is when people actually voluntarily give others access to their data and privacy. case
    in point the number of people globally that are volunteering to be microchipped... its shocking to me that this is becoming "normal".
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Mervin

I had a scam text about a week ago. Went like this. I phoned my cable company and cancelled my cable and landline phone. That evening I received a text from what looked the Bell Communications. Text had a link saying that for my inconvenience they were sending me $223.00 for being a long time customer. Looked legit to me. Once I clicked on the high lighted sentence, my bank account page showed up. A friend was there at the time and said not to click on it and go to my bank account because who ever sent it was trying to get into my account for information. Glad now that I did not accept the e-transfer from whoever it was.

Ps. the reason I'm getting rid of the landline is because I've been getting numerous calls from India every day trying to get information to rip me off.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 05-15-2024 at 09:10 AM. Reason: added ps

I havent had a landline in a long time for the same reason. For awhile smart phones were largely spam and scam free but its ridiculous now.

and that "do not call " sign up... does not work ime or works little. https://www.donotcall.gov/
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-15-2024 at 09:32 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

I think the movement of scams/spam making it's way to smart phones is, in part, demographic. In short, older people have these phones now and so it has become a target rich environment with additional flavors of scamming because of the ability to spoof and what-not. And it's happened rapidly. One of my sets of grandparents had dialup and an answering machine service that allowed for voice mails to be left on their computer if you called when they were online. She had a smart phone towards the end of her life, but never really used it for anything other than taking calls. My last living grandparent has a smart phone, broadband, etc. They've all actually been pretty enthusiastic adopters of technology, but it's undeniable that they're more apt to fall for these types of scams than others. I just flat out don't believe anything I hear or read in general, let alone on the internet. It was a different deal when people born in the 30s were growing up.

Regarding spam calls, though, I'd be more than happy to subscribe to a phone plan in which I cannot receive incoming phone calls at this point. But I'm awkward and extremely socially anxious, so maybe I'm an outlier. If you want to talk to me, shoot me a text and I'll call you when I have time. All my phone calls tend to be the local blood center because I haven't donated for awhile, robo calls for who knows what, and people asking me if I'm selling bees. I don't want to talk to any of those people.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast