ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Question on discus ideas?

Registered Member

Default Question on discus ideas?

Is it possible to have just 2 discus? A pair maybe? I would really like it if I could have just a pair but I don't won't to breed? As my original plan was to have cardinals, rummynose, lemon tetras, bleeding hearts, corydoras. Then look for a centerpiece then I found discus..then I did my research and they should be in a group of 5-6 so I scratched that idea. Then I went on to idea of having 10 discus instead but if I could have a pair with all the tetras I would. So any input on what I can do? If I do get a pair but don't want to breed is it possible? Lol I hope this makes sence if not sorry. My tank is 115gallon thanks.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Question on discus ideas?

Find a breeder somewhere that will sale you 2 males.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Is that possible? Just to have two males as I thought I would need at least 3 more if not a pair?

I see no reason not to have a pair. They will breed but the other fish in the tank will eat the fry when they free swim.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

That could work. Then I would not have to worrie about raiseing fry. Also would a pair be ok in 115gallon with the tetras? Thanks

I'm not real up on tetras. I think that Discus temps (82 min.) might be hard on the bleeding hearts. Go with Sterbai's for your corys. They don't mind the heat.
    Mama Bear

I have a community and for the first time in fishkeeping I wish it were a species tank of Discus. They are not so much a centerpiece as they just make the tank. For me discus only would be enough. I have Pristella tetras.
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

I dislike the idea of a pair personally and would lean towards two males. Here's my reasoning.. If the fry of a pair are consistently being eaten and they are the only two discus you could end up with the male continually desiring to spawn before the female is ready. This can turn pretty aggressive at times. It could work but in my experience breeding it would be safer to have two males as long as there is no female in the tank they have nothing to fight over. Now the hard part would be finding a breeder to give you males, but then as long as you don't want productive males it shouldn't be too hard. JMO
    Drew Harris, owner of Drewbus Discus
    Send inquiries to: drewbusdiscus@gmail.com

IME, two males will beat the crap out of oneanother. I still say a pair is best, but I don't know everything. He needs to talk to Hans.
    Mama Bear

I've never had two males fight without a female being in the mix but all fish are different and this is just my experience. I don't know everything either

Registered Member

With bleeding hearts the temp should be 72-82? I heard good-bad about keep tetras or species only. Should I just do the pair or two males? Or get a species only tank? As I still think it would look nice with a pair/two males and tetras but I'm not sure the discus would like that has anybody done this before? And what do you prefer? Thanks

I don't think the discus would prefer it no matter what you do honestly. They are schooling fish by nature. So if your open to the idea of a species only tank just do discus and when you upgrade you can think about expanding on that, especially if your new to discus, maximize your chances if success because there's a steep learning curve, then start to expand what you want to do.