ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Swollen Belly problem

Default Swollen Belly problem

My discus having this Swollen Belly problem. I have 2 of them at bottom of the tank and one guy with Bloat belly and having hard time to keep balance.

I don't know this is because of overfeeding (4 times a day ? / Discus are 1.5 years old ) or a parasite.

What should I do ??
    ~ ~ ~

Default Re: Swollen Belly problem

Quote Originally Posted by hasitha View Post
    My discus having this Swollen Belly problem. I have 2 of them at bottom of the tank and one guy with Bloat belly and having hard time to keep balance.

I don't know this is because of overfeeding (4 times a day ? / Discus are 1.5 years old ) or a parasite.

What should I do ??
    Not necessarily a parasite, it could very well be constipation. If they are hiding, pointing downward at about 40 to 45 degrees, pectoral fins clamped to the side, possibly breathing harder, and slightly darker in color and not shedding white poop it is in fact likely constipation.

It's also not how often you feed them, it's what they are being fed. If the first ingredient is fish meal, throw it out and go get something like Omega one.

Start with about 1/2 Tablespoon of Epsom Salt per 10 gallons of water. It may help them out pretty quickly. Repeat with another 1/2 Tablespoon per ten gallon in four hours if you do not see immediate improvement.
    Last edited by Frankr409; 06-14-2010 at 12:00 PM.

"By Carol Roberts
    These are treatments that I have used successfully at my house. They are effective and fairly safe.

Bloat or Constipation:
    Symptoms: Your discus will look bloated - like he swallowed a marble. There may be an indentation behind the bloated area as if he had been pinched by your thumb and forefinger. Your discus may shimmy and shake. He may not be able to maintain his balance and will generally look uncomfortable and be dark in color.
    Treat with Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate - sold in grocery stores or drug stores as a foot soak for people). One or two teaspoons of Epsom Salt per 10 gallons of water. Discus should be better in 4 hours or you can add another dose. Epsom salt will not hurt the filter or the other fish. You may dose in higher amounts of even one or two tablespoons per 10 gallons. If fish is not better in 24 hours suspect a bacterial infection."

Thanks guy I will try Epsom Salt treatment.

No white poop or darker colors but one who has Bloat belly is pointing downward.
    ~ ~ ~

Additionally, if the Epsom Salts does not show relief within 24hrs, as mentioned above it may be bacterial. It would be wise to get some Kanamycin quickly to have on hand in your Discus medicine cabinet should it be needed.

IME, I find it best to act quickly to relieve the blockage or determine if there is a need to treat for bacterial within 24-48 hrs given this can be fatal.

What temperature do you keep your tank?
    Last edited by David Rose; 06-14-2010 at 01:04 PM.

I use Epsom Salt at 2 tbsp per 10 gallons.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

I use Epsom Salt at 2 tbsp per 10 gallons.

It will not harm your fish or your plants; It does not always work however.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by hasitha View Post

What should I do ??
    Do you feed a lot of dry food? If so, you might want to mix it up more in the future. If not, it could be bacterial.
    Darrell

Thanks everyone !

I did the Epsom Salt treatment and now they all seems ok except the guy who lays on bottom of tank.
    ~ ~ ~

I would recommend moving the bloated discus to a QT and treating with Kanamycin Sulfate powder as soon as possible.

Best of luck!
    David
    Last edited by David Rose; 06-16-2010 at 08:28 AM.