ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hobbyists Challenger Contest ending and Judging....

Default Re: Hobbyists Challenger Contest ending and Judging....

This cool stuff

Registered Member

Good luck to everyone. I have enjoyed following this contest as well as the last one. So interesting to see the different methods used by each person with all apparently having excellent results.
    Scott

I would love to see their f2's in another challenge. I will do everything i can to make that happen. It is the least i can do.
    I can not thank Kenny and Forrest enough for supplying these beautiful challenge discus. You both have spoiled us.
    Al, i do not even know where to begin. You give so much to this forum and this hobby in general. What you have put together here is so valuable to me. I get so much from this forum. Thank you!

Kenny

I can honestly say that my lurking on this site, following these fish and the stories on raising them played a big part in getting me back into the hobby.

I had been Discus free for 20 years until my 9 year old daughter looked over my shoulder while on this site one day. Once she got an eyeful of the fish from this competition it was all over ........... The only fish she wanted was Discus!!!

So thanks Al, Kenny, Forrest and everyone that was involved in the grow out of these fish, I can say that me and my daughter have gotten more out of it than most. I now have a hooked 9 year old that gets a ton of quality time with her dad doing water changes ... (and sure nice to have another Discus nut to talk to around the House!!)

Thanks again guys ..... well done on the grow out and truly amazing fish!!

Cant wait to see the winners pics and peoples choice very cool -

Cant wait also til apps are taken on the new contest hehe, ive got a 75 gal just poised LOL :P
    Tom
    Tom
    ----------------------
    75 DT (couple angels and some loaches for now); 30 Gal Peacock Mantis/Reef Habitat;

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Hi all,

Forrest and I would like to give our greatest thanks to all contestants for providing such great care in raising these albinos over the last year. As others have said, though it might be a little sad to see it coming to an end but I'm sure Forrest and I both feel that the enjoyment we receive just by watching how they grow under the contestants' great care far outweigh what we have donated.

We also can't wait to see the winners pics and regardless of who will win, all contestants are already winners in our books! Thank you all again and all the best!

A huge THANK YOU to Al for organizing this year's contest, without his great effort and free time sacrificed none of this could have happened. You're the best Al!

Lastly we would also like to thank all who have followed this year's contest with great interests. Your comments and participation were very much appreciated.

Thank you and good luck to all!

Thanks,

Kenny and Forrest
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

Okay Folks,
    I have received submissions from the contestants at this point.. and I am no longer taking them.Unfortunately we only have 6 that have chosen to submit pics...so these will now get judged. I'll be spending a good part of today going thru the submissions, resizing photos and finalizing the score cards..then posting these for the judges.

Once the judges votes are in, I will put up a poll for the Peoples choice award.

Best of luck to all the contestants...you all are winners in my book!

Regards,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-06-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I've posted the photos and score cards now that the judges will use privately.....after all the votes are in I will post these publically as well for all to see..

As I went thru the submissions I was made acutely aware just what an awesome job everyone did and just how amazing these fish from Kenny and Forrest turned out....It really blew me away...... when I say all the contestants are winners...I'm not just blowing smoke there.... I mean it...The contest is dedicated to Barb Newell, who embodied what a great and dedicated hobbyist is...and you all would have made her very very happy!

Best of luck to all of you in this contest and thanks to all that have contributed in anyway!

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Hey Al,

Where is it that you will be posting the photos? In the general discussion area or in the university? I don't want to miss out where they ended up, lol (as I quite often end up...LOST) LOL
    Last edited by 2075turner; 06-07-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: added to message
    Evelyn
    Don't let the things you can't do stop you from doing the things you can!

Quote Originally Posted by 2075turner View Post
    Hey Al,

Where is it that you will be posting the photos? In the general discussion area or in the university? I don't want to miss out where they ended up, lol (as I quite often end up...LOST) LOL
    Hi Evelyn,
    It will be posted in the general discussion board and I will send out a mass email announcing it so please everyone be sure that your email addresses are current in your profiles.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Chris

I have really enjoyed watching this contest from begining to end. Thank you Forrest and Kenny for supplying such incredible discus.

Good luck to all of the contestants!

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Real Name
    Rick

Why only 6 contestants submitted photo's didn't you have 9 contestants (I realize one had a tradgedy)?

We had 8 contestants and one control... The Control is a more internal check in case people experienced problems.....Ryans fish are not judged as the control.. One contestant hit a snag and one was not able to submit pics in time for the deadlines I posted.
    -al

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Why only 6 contestants submitted photo's didn't you have 9 contestants (I realize one had a tradgedy)?

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

It's been a great experience for me on the sidelines this past year... I've really enjoyed watching the progress each week!

Thanks Al for all your efforts and hard work in putting this together. I truly hope you get support; especially, financial to keep these contest going!

You can count on my support! Hopefully the rest of our SD family that shares the enthusiasm will contact you as well.

All the best,
    David

Real Name
    Jim

I just wanted to thank Kenny and Forest for the quality fish they provided and Al for putting this together. I already won regardless of the out come. I have 6 beautiful fish that hopefully will be able to raise some fry and supply them for a future contest. Once again, Thanks all, Jim.
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12