AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydor Theo heater cooked my discus : (

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Default Re: Hydor Theo heater cooked my discus : (

Quote Originally Posted by Double Up View Post
    Gonna try to track a couple jager 150's down tommarow! also thinking about a RENA, or Marineland Stealth pros
    If you are going to get some new Jager, try Jehmco .. they are very good price. They will even give you a price break if you order a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by diamond_discus View Post
    If you are going to get some new Jager, try Jehmco .. they are very good price. They will even give you a price break if you order a bunch.
    I'm gonna call around. I have to pick them up tommarow! dont have time to order. I have a 150w spare visatherm running the tank right now.

I'm gonna call around. I have to pick them up tommarow! dont have time to order. I have a 150w spare visatherm running the tank right now.
    Well, I saw some at local Petsmart store .. but they are almost twice as much ....

I also bought a Hydor Theo 300W 3 years back. It ran fine for 6 months before it stopped working, the temperature was down to 75 when I got home from work. I called up petsolutions and they sent me a new one. Again it last for about 6 months and this time it almost cook my fishes, I was lucky these were all adults. I found that they were having lots of recalls. I will never buy Hydor again. In the past, I had Ebo Jager quit, but it always just quited and the water will cool down.
    Dan

Registered Member

I've got 2- 100 watt hydor theo heaters on my 55 gallon discus tank and haven't had a problem. but I haven't had them for very long, I'm also with Eddie I'm a big fan of ebo jager. also get 2 small heaters, and not one big heater.

I big one is just going to cook the fish, having 2 heaters will heat each side of the tank evenly.
    "DON'T HOOK FISH,BUT GET HOOKED ON FISH.
    15 gallon (using for grow out)bare bottom discus tank,3 young juvies,4 fry.

Registered Member

If the visitherm is holding the temp, just stick with that until you receive your order from Ken. That's 3W/gal, and it should be OK in a normally heated room... tape some bubble wrap on the tank if you need to in the meanwhile...

Ken's top shelf- as good as it gets. I have no regrets doing business with him, none at all...

Both bloated fish are back swimming with the pack!!!!!!! I was lucky enough to come home from class and see that one of them seemed back to normal. Then right before my eyes my rose red started fighting to swim down from the surface! he struggled the first couple trys but eventually work his way to the bottom. Now he too is back swimming with the pack!!! I'm pumped!! Much thanks to the guys at great lakes! it seems as though the epsom salts worked! and thanks to all SD members for their concern! I love this site!

i think my fish is bloated. when u add epsom salt can u just add it directly to the tank or do u have to dissolve it first in water than add it
    Dont Let your passion turn into an Obsession

"Frank Mir"

Registered Member

The best security is to use a temperature controller.
    You can use it to control temperature and cooling fans.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusFreakaZoid View Post
    i think my fish is bloated. when u add epsom salt can u just add it directly to the tank or do u have to dissolve it first in water than add it
    I just add epsom salt to the hospital tank.

Sorry to hear about the heater malfunction. I had the same fear myself, and decided to go out of my way to overt disaster before it could happen, and bought a controller. Now I can rest assured my fish will never get cooked with one of these;

http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

Registered Member

Gonna try to track a couple jager 150's down tommarow! also thinking about a RENA, or Marineland Stealth pros
    KENS FISH, they are like $20 plus shipping best deal ever!

Ditto on Kensfish!!!

I have been replacing my Stealth 250's (had two stick on ) with Jaeger 250's from Kensfish. And am very pleased with them

And as a matter of fact my Finnex HC-810 controller that I ordered from Kensfish three days ago (pretty quick shipping) arrived about 4 hours ago and is now hooked up to two Jaeger 250's in my main tank.

The recent sticking on of two of my stealths has me paranoid about them they were both less than a year old I have had no other trouble from the stealths before till last week.
    "Don't count your Discus before they hatch" ............Joe

I have ordered alot of them from Kensfish and they generally get to me in 5 days, and I live in Japan. Kensfish.com has very good prices on them also.

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I use a rena smartheater in my 125 and its been very reliable *knock on wood* hehe -

I have 2 ehiems in the 75
    Tom
    ----------------------
    75 DT (couple angels and some loaches for now); 30 Gal Peacock Mantis/Reef Habitat;

I just bought a 300w hydor theo 4 months ago. Hearing all this bad press about the hydor makes me want to change it out now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast