ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydor Theo heater cooked my discus : (

Default Hydor Theo heater cooked my discus : (

Never, ever, ever, ever, buy a hydor theo heater. They are pieces of crap. I bought a 300w to run my 55gal and couldnt keep the temp withen 4 degrees right out of the box. I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. Well, worked great for two months untill I wake up this morning and my 55gal discus grow-out tank is at 93 degrees. The heater is set at 84 BTW. Now 2 out of 7 discus are floating at the surface with extreme bloating and I dont think they are gonna make it.

Registered Member

Default Re: Hydor Theo heater cooked my discus : (

I like to use 2 lower wattage heaters to run my tanks, that way if one gets stuck on it wont cook the fish. I use 2 150w heaters in a 65gal

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Double Up View Post
    Never, ever, ever, ever, buy a hydor theo heater. They are pieces of crap. I bought a 300w to run my 55gal and couldnt keep the temp withen 4 degrees right out of the box. I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. Well, worked great for two months untill I wake up this morning and my 55gal discus grow-out tank is at 93 degrees. The heater is set at 84 BTW. Now 2 out of 7 discus are floating at the surface with extreme bloating and I dont think they are gonna make it.
    I had the same happen to me, but i didn't lose any. Hope your fish pull through.
    Marc

Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. I too lost my favorite discus due to a heater malfunction. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=73584 There is alot of good heater information others have posted in this thread. Know I have two heaters in my tanks as well. Sized according to my size of tank.

Wade

Registered Member

I had the same problem with several of those. Thank goodness I did not lose any fish. Get two smaller ones as was suggested. It will reduce the possibility your fish could be fried the next time. I hope you don't lose your fish.

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

I had a similar problem with a 250w theo heater ... I was a new one too ... It worked for a couple week .. and then I went on a business trip .. my wife called me and saw the temperature over 93 degree .... I told her to shut it off .. Good thing I have a spare one (another brand). I ended up returning that heater for a refund.

I am not using the Jagar heater which works fairly well. It has a 3 years warranty, I think .

I also have a bunch of the older Marineland Stealth heater .. that has lifetime warranty. When I returned some bad ones for replacement, they send me the new Stealth pro .. but seems like the new version only goes to 86F max ...

Thanks all. One of the two affected discus is really trying to swin again and seems less bloated. At the advice of great lakes discus(choice aquariums) I added epsom salt at 2 tbls/10 gal. The other discus is in pretty bad shape. I am gonna buy 2 150 watt heaters to put in the tank. I've been researching the posts regarding heaters here to make a choice on brands.

Quote Originally Posted by wadewc View Post
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I too lost my favorite discus due to a heater malfunction. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=73584 There is alot of good heater information others have posted in this thread. Know I have two heaters in my tanks as well. Sized according to my size of tank.

Wade
    I read that post and remember thinking "maybe I should get new heaters" !!! Sorry Wade, I can now tell you I understand.

Registered Member

There are no "best heaters" They all break. Here is a good article on aquarium heaters.

This guy, he knows stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by diamond_discus View Post
    I had a similar problem with a 250w theo heater ... I was a new one too ... It worked for a couple week .. and then I went on a business trip .. my wife called me and saw the temperature over 93 degree .... I told her to shut it off .. Good thing I have a spare one (another brand). I ended up returning that heater for a refund.

I am not using the Jagar heater which works fairly well. It has a 3 years warranty, I think .

I also have a bunch of the older Marineland Stealth heater .. that has lifetime warranty. When I returned some bad ones for replacement, they send me the new Stealth pro .. but seems like the new version only goes to 86F max ...
    I just emailed Hydor. We'll see what they say. I might try the stealth pro's. I have had good luck with marineland heaters. I have not owned the stealths but have marinelands in 3 other tanks and have never had a problem. I also have a black backround so they would blen in well.

Ehiem Jagers, hands down. Now that they are UL listed, they seem very leak proof with a new electric cord. All mine work like champs, some for over 5-6 years now.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I use rena everything for my tanks, never a problem in 14 years, filters, heaters, pumps love them all. Love my rena smartheater, blends in with the background perfectly.

Both bloated fish are back swimming with the pack!!!!!!! I was lucky enough to come home from class and see that one of them seemed back to normal. Then right before my eyes my rose red started fighting to swim down from the surface! he struggled the first couple trys but eventually work his way to the bottom. Now he too is back swimming with the pack!!! I'm pumped!! Much thanks to the guys at great lakes! it seems as though the epsom salts worked! and thanks to all SD members for their concern! I love this site!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Ehiem Jagers, hands down. Now that they are UL listed, they seem very leak proof with a new electric cord. All mine work like champs, some for over 5-6 years now.

Eddie
    Gonna try to track a couple jager 150's down tommarow! also thinking about a RENA, or Marineland Stealth pros

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

Eddie
    Agreed. Get them and inexpensive finnex hc-0800 controllers from Kensfish. A controller and heater together cost little more than 2 heaters, and operation is simpler.

At 3-5W/gal, which is generally recommended, a 200W heater should be entirely adequate. Bigger heaters just cook your fish faster if they stick on...

Get some ATI liquid crystal stick-on thermos, while you're at it. very accurate, easy to use...
    Last edited by Jhhnn; 02-23-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast