AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Books?

Registered Member

Default Books?

Hello,

I am new to this site and very excited that I came across it as well. I am looking to build on my library of discus books. Can anyone suggest a couple of books that contain a lot of valuable information on everything to do with Discus?

Thank you and I look forward to getting to know this site.

Mike

Registered Member

Default Re: Books?

Hi Mike, and welcome to Simply!...I don't have them...but the two books by Andrew Soh are supposed to be very good. I believe the first one is call Discus: The naked truth, and I think the other one is call Problems and solutions. Might be enough for you to get a search going. I am sure others will hopefully chime in and be more accurate...Tho stick around and search the sight as there is a boatload of up to date info here, which I prefer over written material...Bill

discus healh by Untergasser
    although its kinda antiquated

Welcome to Simply Mike!

I had a similar thread that will list a few too...check it out.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ighlight=books

Take care,

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dlr1961 View Post
    Welcome to Simply Mike!

Take care,
    Thank you all for your comments.

I followed the link and also saw several comments about Andrew Soh's books. I actually came across one last night that caught my eye.

Does anyone know a good place to purchase these two books?

Mike

Both of Andrew Soh's books, both of Jim Quarle's books and definitely Discus Health from D. Untergasser.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dlr1961 View Post
    Welcome to Simply Mike!

Take care,
    Thank you all for the comments. I followed the link and saw several comments about Andrew Soh. I think I will try to get both of his books. Does anyone know where a good deal on them is?

Thanks,

Mike

Banned

Smile Re: Books?

Discus are discus now as they were discus 50 years ago, and although some philosphies in raising them has changed, some of the old classics are still relevent today because discus are discus.

Those mentioned are in my discus library as are Jack Wattley's "Discus for the Perfectionist", "Handbook on Discus", and "Discus Today"(with Bernd Degan). Yeng's "Penang Discus", editions 1 and 2, with ed. 2 being a better book, and one of my favorites, as he autographed it with a personal message and sent it to me as a gift upon its release. Both of Jim Quarels' books, Dick Au's "Trophy Discus" and "Back to Nature" are excellant. Gunter Keller's "Discus", Mayland's "Adventures with Discus", Bernd Degan's "Wild caught Discus", Johnny Yip's "Asian Discus 1 and 2" are worth having. "Malaysian Discus", Exotic Discus of the World", Discus Catalogue...

Enough yet? I don't want to bash anyone's book, so if you would like an opinion on any not mentioned, you can P.M. me. These are not the only good books I have on discus that were mentioned. Others are just as good, but I just got tired of typing. It's not my strong suit.

Mat

BTW, IMO everyone should have discus books if you are serious about discus. A book or two on fish diseases also is a must. Untergasser also published a good book called "Handbook of Fish Diseases" that is a good mate to his "Discus Health".

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Discus are discus now as they were discus 50 years ago, and although some philosphies in raising them has changed, some of the old classics are still relevent today because discus are discus.

Those mentioned are in my discus library as are Jack Wattley's "Discus for the Perfectionist", "Handbook on Discus", and "Discus Today"(with Bernd Degan). Yeng's "Penang Discus", editions 1 and 2, with ed. 2 being a better book, and one of my favorites, as he autographed it with a personal message and sent it to me as a gift upon its release. Both of Jim Quarels' books, Dick Au's "Trophy Discus" and "Back to Nature" are excellant. Gunter Keller's "Discus", Mayland's "Adventures with Discus", Bernd Degan's "Wild caught Discus", Johnny Yip's "Asian Discus 1 and 2" are worth having. "Malaysian Discus", Exotic Discus of the World", Discus Catalogue...

Enough yet? I don't want to bash anyone's book, so if you would like an opinion on any not mentioned, you can P.M. me. These are not the only good books I have on discus that were mentioned. Others are just as good, but I just got tired of typing. It's not my strong suit.

Mat

BTW, IMO everyone should have discus books if you are serious about discus. A book or two on fish diseases also is a must. Untergasser also published a good book called "Handbook of Fish Diseases" that is a good mate to his "Discus Health".
    I really appreciate you taking the time to write all of that. I completely agree with you with respect to all serious discus owners having books, which is why I am trying to build my library. Im glad you mentioned the books on disease, I need to look into those.

My current books are:

Dick Au "Trophy Discus", Bernd Degen "Discus-How To Breed Them", Degen "Wild-Caught Discus", & Jack Wattley's "Discus for the Perfectionist".

Mike

Banned

Smile Re: Books?

I forgot to mention on little gem that is worth the price, which is usually cheap because of the age and it is soft bound - 1992 Discus Annual.

Mat

Registered Member

I would ad bleher Discus, bible for wildcaught discus and the best written work for discus: Diskus brief (discus note) its in german unfortunally but this magazine has it all: filtering outside of the box, water preparation, disease prevention and curing, hobbys stories, news from the scene, ...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    I would ad bleher Discus, bible for wildcaught discus and the best written work for discus: Diskus brief (discus note) its in german unfortunally but this magazine has it all: filtering outside of the box, water preparation, disease prevention and curing, hobbys stories, news from the scene, ...
    I hear a lot about Bleher, I will look it up. I took 3 yrs of German in h.s., lets see how well I remember it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Dick Au's "Trophy Discus" and "Back to Nature" are excellant.
    I just got these two when he spoke at my fish club last weekend. I haven't finished reading them but so far they have been excellent.
    Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society
    Horticulture Awards Program Chair

I do things my way because they work for me sorry if you disagree.