AquaticSuppliers.com     Discus Hans store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69

Thread: Frayed Fins

  1. #1
    Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Posts
    1,812
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Frayed Fins

    hey guys! a good portion of my discus seem to have frayed fins. especially the albino tank. only 2 out of the 7 albino in there do NOT have frayed fins. its not the type where it heals up, they just seem to be frayed/split and stay that way. Im wondering what causes this? Its even happened to my blue scorpion lately. its happened before and healed up...but its just very unattractive to me. I like smooth flowing anal and dorsal fins. if its due to water quality, I can probably understand that because the albino tanks filters are in desperate need of a cleaning, but I do large daily-every other day WCs....but I know if the filters are dirty, that wont do much good. but like I said, its happened on the BS, and even a bit on the pigeon. it really bothers me you guys! I know I can do the andrew soh method and cut the fins, but I mean...that seems really risky/hard to do. I feel like I would F up royally if I tried to cut all their fins.
    any ideas? could it be something about the water? or diet? maybe its just dirty filters that I need to keep cleaner?

    thanks for any info guys! take care!
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

  2. #2
    Moderator Team rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    5,081
    iTrader
    8 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    it could be something to do with the water but IMO not likely. i get frayed fins on my new batch of discus and it's due to their aggression. one of them gets the brunt of it and that one usually has a damaged anal fin. regular salt should help it heal quicker

  3. #3
    Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Posts
    1,812
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    I hear ya ricardo...thing is, its not due to agression. its on almost all the albinos, and they are rather peaceful. its not nipped fins, its real hard to explain man lol. im sure its not aggression tho. hmmmmm. Ill try adding some salt and see if that helps with anything, but I have had nipped fins before, or fins that frayed and then heal up, especially on new arrivals, but this is different...kinda more permanent. IDK.
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

  4. #4
    Registered Member Chad Hughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,688
    iTrader
    11 (100%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    If it's not aggression or stress related (i.e. shipping) then it could just be genetic. I have some discus that just have jagged finnage. It's not damage, just how they are. Most of my stock do not have this, but a few do. They are certainly not stressed. Just the way they were made.

    Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes
    www.sandiegodiscus.com

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #5
    Homesteader Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    EL Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain
    Posts
    27,670
    iTrader
    6 (100%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    Its a combination of things Jason. I know exactly what you are talking about. Some of your fish have developed the Spike look. I would have to point this to lack of minerals, either by water or food. If your water is lacking minerals, you must supplement this into their food. I know you haven't started them on a mix yet and you do feed alot of bloodworms, frozen shrimp but not much vitamin/minerals. Try making your own mix and add a vitamin supplement AND calcium citrate. Now the issue is the fins have taken this form already. You may actually need to cut them down to the point where they were splitting and with the added minerals, the fins may regenerate uniformly.

    Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

    NADA Board Member

    "If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

  6. #6
    Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Posts
    1,812
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    thanks Chad, like the new name lol, I just realized that. I know what you mean, my guys arent stressed either, it just looks nicer when the fins are smooth. and I dont get how its on a few different strains, mostly just the albinos tho.
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

  7. #7
    Registered Member Chad Hughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,688
    iTrader
    11 (100%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooldadddyfunk286 View Post
    thanks Chad, like the new name lol, I just realized that. I know what you mean, my guys arent stressed either, it just looks nicer when the fins are smooth. and I dont get how its on a few different strains, mostly just the albinos tho.
    Thanks Jason. I'd rather have people calling me by my name rather than avionics. LOL!

    I can't explain why some have it and some don't and that's what make me think it's just genetics. I do understand what you are tlaking about though. And yes, they do look nicer!

    Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes
    www.sandiegodiscus.com

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #8
    Registered Member mmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Monson, Ma.
    Posts
    5,107
    iTrader
    27 (97%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooldadddyfunk286 View Post
    hey guys! a good portion of my discus seem to have frayed fins. especially the albino tank. only 2 out of the 7 albino in there do NOT have frayed fins. its not the type where it heals up, they just seem to be frayed/split and stay that way. Im wondering what causes this? Its even happened to my blue scorpion lately. its happened before and healed up...but its just very unattractive to me. I like smooth flowing anal and dorsal fins. if its due to water quality, I can probably understand that because the albino tanks filters are in desperate need of a cleaning, but I do large daily-every other day WCs....but I know if the filters are dirty, that wont do much good. but like I said, its happened on the BS, and even a bit on the pigeon. it really bothers me you guys! I know I can do the andrew soh method and cut the fins, but I mean...that seems really risky/hard to do. I feel like I would F up royally if I tried to cut all their fins.
    any ideas? could it be something about the water? or diet? maybe its just dirty filters that I need to keep cleaner?

    thanks for any info guys! take care!
    It would be useful to know why they are damaged in the first place because there is no point in trimming if it's just going to happen again. The fins won't repair if the fish have parasites and an accompanying bacterial infection and it is still active. How long have the fins been damaged? Did it happen to the affected essentially all at once? If so, it may have been a one-off and the injured fins have simply stopped growing back in, per Andrew Soh. If it has been a few months and water quality isn't an issue, then I would go ahead and trim the fins. It only feels really weird the first time. Wipe the sissors with alcohol and dab the fins afterwards with a bit of iodine, being careful not to get it into their eyes or gills. I recommend you post a pic first.
    Last edited by mmorris; 10-13-2009 at 06:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Registered Member calihawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cool, California
    Posts
    1,471
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    Hey Jason, is this what you're talking about like on this fishes dorsal fin?






    Eddie, I didn't know this was a vitamin/mineral deficiency, I thought it was genetic. I have a few of these in my planted tank that has plenty of minerals and half their diet consists of the seafood/beefheart mix.

  10. #10
    Registered Member Chad Hughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,688
    iTrader
    11 (100%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Its a combination of things Jason. I know exactly what you are talking about. Some of your fish have developed the Spike look. I would have to point this to lack of minerals, either by water or food. If your water is lacking minerals, you must supplement this into their food. I know you haven't started them on a mix yet and you do feed alot of bloodworms, frozen shrimp but not much vitamin/minerals. Try making your own mix and add a vitamin supplement AND calcium citrate. Now the issue is the fins have taken this form already. You may actually need to cut them down to the point where they were splitting and with the added minerals, the fins may regenerate uniformly.

    Eddie
    Interesting..... now I'm at a loss as to why I have a couple of these. Certainly not a mineral issue. Hmmmm.
    Chad Hughes
    www.sandiegodiscus.com

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Posts
    1,812
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    Steve - its alot like that fish in your pic, some alittle more severe than that, but it basically looks like that.

    Eddie - I have been pumping my fish with vitamin flake from angels plus since I got it a few months (?) back. Im hoping this adds some vitamins into their diet. I try to feed it pretty often.

    Im thinkin it may have to do with lack of minerals/vitamins too. gut feelin. I really gotta start making a SUPER mix and get my fish on that. I mean some of my fish have grown out so beautiful without feeding a mix, just feeding one hell of a varied diet, lots of different good quality flakes and frozen foods. so, if I make a killer mix, they would just be THAT much more beautiful and would lack any deficiencies...hopefully lol.


    thanks for the imput guys! Im interested in what you guys think.
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

  12. #12
    Registered Member mmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Monson, Ma.
    Posts
    5,107
    iTrader
    27 (97%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    I would trim those fins. The worse that could happen is that they would grow back to look like they do now.

  13. #13
    Registered Member mmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Monson, Ma.
    Posts
    5,107
    iTrader
    27 (97%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    I need to add: don't trim the hard rays. They won't grow back.

  14. #14
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    765
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooldadddyfunk286 View Post
    Steve - its alot like that fish in your pic, some alittle more severe than that, but it basically looks like that.
    Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I think those discus look edgy. Kinda cool. Definitely not traditional.

    I definitely second what mmorris said. Don't cut the hard rays.

    Tim

  15. #15
    Homesteader Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    EL Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain
    Posts
    27,670
    iTrader
    6 (100%)

    Default Re: Frayed Fins

    The thoughts on mineral/vitamin deficiency are not my own but what I have gathered from others who have experienced this problem on Simply. It is not genetic whatsoever. I recently cut my Male Albino Red Diamonds anal and dorsal for this very same reason. Both sets are growing back uniformly. Jason, isn't it strange that most of yours are getting this fin problem. Kind of rules out genetics unless your Blue Scorpion, Penang Eruption and every single one of your Albinos are from the same spawn.

    Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

    NADA Board Member

    "If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •