AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ocean Nutrition vs New Life Spectrum pellets

Registered Member

Default Ocean Nutrition vs New Life Spectrum pellets

Hi everyone. Currently iam using NLS pellets to feed my fish. I just want to know if you have had good results with this food. Can anybody let me know which product they use? I just want to know the percentage of people using which products. thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: Ocean Nutrition vs New Life Spectrum pellets

These are the 2 products i want to compare. Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 pellets and New Life Spectrum Thera +A. thanks.

I think that both of these pellets are pretty good so it would really be hard to compare. Use them both.....

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Francis

Most of my discus likes the ON Prime Reef flakes better than the NLS Thera A+ pellets perhaps they like the smell of the flakes.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member Carolina discus's Avatar

NLS...100%

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina discus View Post
    NLS...100%
    Wow. 100%? can you tell me why you chose NLS?

Here are the ingredients for both:

NLS Thera +A

New Life SpectrumŽ food is made with high-quality easily digestible South Antarctic Krill, Herring, Squid, and New Zealand Mussel protein, and several all-natural color-enhancing ingredients for a balanced diet that boosts immune system function and enhances the full spectrum of your fish?s color. With the belief that all fish require a complete and fully balanced varied diet, New Life also contains Algae Meal, that consists of Seaweed, Kelp, and Haematococcus pluvialis (a micro algae), a premium grade of natural Spirulina, as well as a fruit and vegetable extract that consists of Spinach, Red and Green Cabbage, Peas, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Kiwi, Apricot, Pear, Mango, Apple, Papaya, and Peach. All New Life SpectrumŽ products also contain a generous inclusion rate of Garlic (Allium Sativum) with the Thera-A formulas containing a mega-dose of this natural anti-parasitic ingredient.

http://shop.riftlakeaquatics.net/product.sc?productId=9

ON Formula One Pellet

# Formula One is red and, like our frozen and flake products, it is produced with higher protein levels. SOFT and MOIST highly palatable pellets.
    # Contains GARLIC and SPIRUNLINA.
    # Super color enhancing qualities.
    # High levels of refined quality marine proteins.
    # Oxygen is removed with a nitrogen flush.
    The foil pouch keeps oxygen out for maximum freshness.
    Stays fresh three to four months after inner foil bag is opened.

Ingredients:
    Shrimp, Euphasia pacifica plankton, sardine, wheat flour, fish eggs, soya-lecithin, Spirulina, salmon oil, garlic, minerals (potassium iodide, iron oxide, manganese sulfate, magnesium oxide, zinc sulfate), MPAXTM (Marine Protein Amino eXtract: fish meals, hydrolysates, select amino acids (L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, L-Trytophan)), vitamins (ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin B12, nicotinic acid, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), Betaine, calcium propionate, potassium sorbate, ethoxyquin, carotenoid pigments (astaxanthin, canthaxantin), yeast (Beta-glucan).

http://www.oceannutrition.com/produc...1.html&head=03

Both are full of vitamins/minerals.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member Carolina discus's Avatar

This is only my opion on my history and experience, I have used both in the hatchery and I feel my fish accept the NLS faster and more readily than ONF1, they color up better, have less internal issues, and are more aggressive eaters....
    I started with ONF1 flake and pellets but had issues with consistancy....tried Omega One and wasn't excited about the results.....I have been using Angels Plus flakes for 2 years as well but am thinking I am going to switch to NLS chichlid and Thera as staple diets and supplement with Seafood mix and FBW's....To me it is all about water quality.
    Check out NLS's website and read all the documentation from many of the top people in the Aquatic world about the benifits of NLS...it's certainly not cheap but I am starting to believe it is well worth it!

Hope that helps....

Eric

This is only my opion on my history and experience, I have used both in the hatchery and I feel my fish accept the NLS faster and more readily than ONF1, they color up better, have less internal issues, and are more aggressive eaters....
    I started with ONF1 flake and pellets but had issues with consistancy....tried Omega One and wasn't excited about the results.....I have been using Angels Plus flakes for 2 years as well but am thinking I am going to switch to NLS chichlid and Thera as staple diets and supplement with Seafood mix and FBW's....To me it is all about water quality.
    Check out NLS's website and read all the documentation from many of the top people in the Aquatic world about the benifits of NLS...it's certainly not cheap but I am starting to believe it is well worth it!

Hope that helps....

Eric
    SAME here. NLS thera A+ for me. Looking to try the growth formula soon since it's got 50% protein. I supplement with BH mix, but NO FBW. I've thought about adding another pellet or flake food but I guess I just trust NLS a lot, maybe one day.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

Hope that helps....

Eric
    Thanks for your reply Eric, it sure helped alot. For me, i have also used both NLS and ONF1 pellets and i find that my fish eats NLS more aggressively than ONF1. So far Iam happy with the results on NLS. Ill buying NLS when my ONF1 can runs out. I've watched the videos on NLS's website and the fish looks great. Ill stick with NLS and sorry if this is an offend to Ocean Nutrition pellet fans. I just find my fish likes NLS better.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    SAME here. NLS thera A+ for me. Looking to try the growth formula soon since it's got 50% protein. I supplement with BH mix, but NO FBW. I've thought about adding another pellet or flake food but I guess I just trust NLS a lot, maybe one day.
    How is the smell of the garlic to you Ed13?

Registered Member

I just wanna share a few pics of my babies ever since they starting to eat crushed NLS pellets. Thats the parents and the dad looks ugly around the mouth but i hope the babies are not going to be like him. Theyre at 2 months and 1 week. Im not sure if they're small in size at that age. Please dont mind the date on the pictures it set up wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (38.7 KB, 171 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (32.9 KB, 151 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (36.5 KB, 159 views)

Registered Member

Is there anyone else using either the products and find it better than the other? Can you please comment on the babies. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by freestylez_14 View Post
    How is the smell of the garlic to you Ed13?
    I love garlic so...

I don't touch the pellets though, so as to avoid adding moisture to the can and because others might not appreciate the garlic smell on your hands
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

I've used them both, they are both good though I think the ONF One is more pallatable to my fish and holds together best.....I think the NLS is messy for a pellet.

...I use ON formula one (size small) as my pellet of choice. been using it on everything from fry to adults.

hth,
    al

our second annual contest fish were fed these here before I shipped them out...
    see video here..
    http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/sh...t=71086&page=2
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-10-2009 at 02:07 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast