ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new 300gal

Registered Member

Default new 300gal

Here are some pics of my new 300 gallon all glass tank. This has been a project long in the making and finally on Thanksgiving got it installed. So how do you lift a 300 gallon glass tank 32" off the ground?? Well you could get a bunch of buddies and lift (which I had, but due to difficulties on tank manufacturer's behalf that effort got scrubbed). Or, you could get smart and use equipment that you already have. We used a nice heavy duty engine hoist with a spreader bar and 3 straps. Worked like a charm. And guess what...no straining of our backs/legs!!

-Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: new 300gal

And here are more pictures with the side cabinets and a view of the filtration system and a quick one of the front panel/doors before being nailed in place (didnt have a good pic of both sides finished). Canopy is currently being built/stained and should be finished in a few weeks. Hopefully by the new year will have it partially stocked.

-Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome man!. I bet you are stoked!. The engine hoist was a great idea. I have one as well, Never thought of using it for moving tanks. Brilliant idea Ryan. 300 Gallons i'd hate that wc every night. I complain changing out 20 gallons of water a day lol. Im sure you have big plans for that great tank cant wait to see the progress. Good luck man and post some more pics!

Joe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDude85 View Post
    Awesome man!. I bet you are stoked!. The engine hoist was a great idea. I have one as well, Never thought of using it for moving tanks. Brilliant idea Ryan. 300 Gallons i'd hate that wc every night. I complain changing out 20 gallons of water a day lol. Im sure you have big plans for that great tank cant wait to see the progress. Good luck man and post some more pics!

Joe
    If you look at the 2nd set of pics, 3rd pic...there is a ball valve hanging above the pumps. There is a 1" bulkhead drilled on the backside of the tank a the 50% level. All I have to do is hook up a hose, walk it to a toilet and flip the valve. Voila, 50% drained! Now filling it I still have to drag another hose from the garage to fill, but its not a big deal.

I will post more pics as the project gets further along.

-Ryan

can you give us some more info on the pump(s) please. i am thinking about adding some more HP to my twin tanks. cheers.
    2 x 125g semi planted, single 30g sump, 30g in line
    175g Bow
    75g grow/ QT
    200g fiberglass grow

WOW Ryan congrats! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Adrian
    Phillipians 4:4-7

Sweet! Can't wait to see the finished product.
    --Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    If you look at the 2nd set of pics, 3rd pic...there is a ball valve hanging above the pumps. There is a 1" bulkhead drilled on the backside of the tank a the 50% level. All I have to do is hook up a hose, walk it to a toilet and flip the valve. Voila, 50% drained! Now filling it I still have to drag another hose from the garage to fill, but its not a big deal.

I will post more pics as the project gets further along.

-Ryan

Man it doesnt get much better than that. The only draw back is the fact mulm is still chilling on the bottom. I siphon my gravel every night as annoying as that may be. It never ceases to suprise me how much crap builds up in one day. Good luck with the big project.

Joe

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by doc3toes View Post
    can you give us some more info on the pump(s) please. i am thinking about adding some more HP to my twin tanks. cheers.
    The pumps are Iwaki 40-RLXT pumps, which are their low head circulation pumps. From what I remember off the top of my head they flow around 1,200GPH each @ 0ft head.

-Ryan

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusDude85 View Post
    Man it doesnt get much better than that. The only draw back is the fact mulm is still chilling on the bottom. I siphon my gravel every night as annoying as that may be. It never ceases to suprise me how much crap builds up in one day. Good luck with the big project.

Joe
    Oh I will still hand siphon the tank, but doing it every time isnt necessary. The valve/bulkhead are for my lazy days, LOL.

-Ryan

Looks like a great project you have going Ryan. Very cool! What's going inside?

Kacey

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Looks like a great project you have going Ryan. Very cool! What's going inside?

Kacey
    Well, if I have it my way it will be wild Royal Blues (TRUE Royal Blues) along with loaches, cory's, tetras, etc. A few plants and some nice drift wood. But if my mom has it her way, it will be a few different varieties of high quality modern strains of discus (along with everything else).

-Ryan

Wow Ryan, that is so impressive! Definitely something I would only dream of having. Excellent set-up!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    Well, if I have it my way it will be wild Royal Blues (TRUE Royal Blues) along with loaches, cory's, tetras, etc. A few plants and some nice drift wood. But if my mom has it her way, it will be a few different varieties of high quality modern strains of discus (along with everything else).

-Ryan
    if my mom got her way, id have hot pink fish...thank god there isnt any
    benedict

Quote Originally Posted by gotfish? View Post
    if my mom got her way, id have hot pink fish...thank god there isnt any
    lol

joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast