ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: FENBENDAZOLE HELP!!!!!!!

Registered Member

Default FENBENDAZOLE HELP!!!!!!!

I need some urgent help. I have fish with camalanus and have been treating for a week with fenbendazole @22.2%. I have put it in food and the tank. The little blyters are still there and one fish looks distressed, think i'm going to lose her. I have a couple of young mollies (about 5/6 months old) that now have the tip of a worm poking out their vents and a young guppy about the same age with long one. Sorry I dont have any discuss but this forum seems to offer most advice about camcalanus. I have a few adult mollies and guppies with very distinct moving worms coming out their ***.

As their is no sign of these things actually dying and infact if anything I seem to have more in there, I wonder if maybe I have been giving incorrect dose.

I read that I needed to add 2mg per litre in the tank. I see that you guys dont reccommend adding it to the tank but to simply feed it.

Can someone set me right on the correct dosage to feed my little guys.

The fenbedazole i can get comes in granuals. Each sachet contains 1.8g. Each 1g contains 0.22g of fenbedazole ( so each sachet contains 0.396g (396 mg).

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get this, none of my local aquatics have even heard of camalanus, therefore none sell anything other than sodium chloride to treat it.

I am learning alot through my search which is great but i sooooo dont want to lose my fish, not only that, even if I do lose them, I want to make sure my tank is treated.

Thanks guys in advance.
    Kay

Default Re: FENBENDAZOLE HELP!!!!!!!

Kay,

Do NOT add fenbendazole directly to the tank water, it should only ever be fed in food.

You can however add flubendazole (simialr name and product) to the water and it has proved effective for camallanus worms. I note you are in the UK which means you can get Flubenol15 (flubendazole) this is a med I have used many times on my discus, though not for camallanus worms.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

I can help you sadly from experience. I added fenbenzadole to the tank and in the food for three days before my fish started dying. I lost all 7 of my discus and about 50 tetras as well as three apistos.
    Do as big a water change as possible for the next few days.
    Camillanus is not going to kill your fish right away so you do have some time to work on them. Just get that stuff out of the water fast. My fish lost all their fins before they couldn't swim any more then they died.
    I have what was a group of breeding apistogramma cacatuoides "gold" that did survive the horror and still have a BAD case of camillanus. I have been feeding them food soaked in fenbenzadole for over two weeks and the worms seem to go away then come right back. So here is what you need to do if you too are having no luck with this treatment.
    Go back to the vet and get levamisole(spelling)
    Treat the food with that and cross your fingers.
    Also read the sticky Flubendazole side effect.... every post and every page. It will help I promise.
    Good luck

Registered Member

Hi there,

Thanks for the help. Yes I noticed that fenbendazole is not advised in the tank so I stopped that immediatly, did as big a water change as was physically possible, (now I have the muscles in my arms to prove it, hehe!) I found the recipe for mixing it into food on this site and went about that. The fish that was heavy infected seemed to lose them straight away, although they seem to be coming back. I am assumming that these were in her guts and are making their way out. The fish do seem more lively and her vent doesn't look as red and swollen as it did so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I found a fish onsale at the weekend with camallanus and when I pointed it out was told its so rare that its highly unlikely that was what it was. Wont be buying any fish from there again.

Once again guys thanks for your help.

Kay.. xxxxxxx

kayca,
    You'll need to retreat the fish in a couple of weeks and maybe even a third time since they are so badly infected. The eggs they leave behind will hatch out as the med doesn't kill them. Good luck with your fish and sometime in the near future BUY SOME DISCUS, LOL!!! J/K

Kacey

Registered Member

Hi again,

Thanks for the tips. My fish do seem bad, one more than the others. This one was sick when I bought it. Bought 5 Guppies all really bad. Due to it being a weekend I couldn't take them back straight away and unfortunatly 4 died before i could get back to the shop. This was the only fish that survived the batch. The store told me later that week that they were not supposed to be sold as they had come in sick. Thing was you didn't notice it in their tank. My tank has a black background so their ailments well stood out when they went in. As for the discus, I must admit I am really liking the looks of them. This camallanus worries me though. I am getting a new tank next month so maybe I will put some in that. Not going to add anything to this one. Sadly I have some fry and I fear losing them. I have some Flubenol on its way to me and in the meantime I shall continue to feed with the medicated food (containing fenbendazole) and keep up my water changes.

You guys have been great and this site is fantastic. I am learning so much on here which is fuelling my passion for tropical fish.

Thanks guys.

Kay