AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potassium Permanganate as a Net Dip

Registered Member

Default Re: Potassium Permanganate as a Net Dip

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    I don't understand, Discus people use the freakiest aggressive $%#$@^ for anything. Are you guys never afraid all this crap can harm you in the long run???

Hans
    I'm with Hans. What about a concentrated salt dip? Super cheap, and super effective. And salt rinses away in a flash.

Or what about no nets at all? I like using foodsafe containers to catch and transport fish. Minimum stress and no slime coat gets rubbed off. And there are no nets to breed nasty germs.

Tim

Registered Member

I would argue that the two do not have the same carrying capacity for bugs.

A net stays damp longer, and is porous so both detritus and pathogens can hang out a lot longer. My main issue with nets is that they scrape the slime off the fish which somewhat reduces their infection barrier. (The slime that's stuck on the net is heaven on earth for bacteria).

A smooth plastic, food-safe container tends to be hydrophobic. So water beads up and falls off. The dry plastic surface is not an ideal environment for bacteria. Theoretically, virii can stay virile on dry surfaces, but a good washing with soap will take care of most. (Of course one would NEVER wash a net in soap. It would be too hard to ensure that all the soap is gone from a net. Not a problem with plastic).

And finally, I find that transporting the fish in a plastic container leaves the fish somewhat confused but calm. There is no thrashing that is typical of transporting by nets. Perhaps they think they've fallen prey to an alien abduction. :-)

Tim

I use Bleach as a net dip when needed....it can eat thru some materials...but I have lucked out and gotten some great soft nets from jehmco.com that have been unbelievable immune....only problem is the wood handles..they are not and eventually the bleach eats thru...takes about a years use ....works okay though... I actually like them better without the handles for most of tanks!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I use Bleach as a net dip when needed....it can eat thru some materials...but I have lucked out and gotten some great soft nets from jehmco.com that have been unbelievable immune....only problem is the wood handles..they are not and eventually the bleach eats thru...takes about a years use ....works okay though... I actually like them better without the handles for most of tanks!

-al
    www.4fishstuff.com has the best nets out there. SS handles and super strong cotton netting. Not cheap, but they will last for years. We have some that are 10+ years old and look new.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    www.4fishstuff.com has the best nets out there. SS handles and super strong cotton netting. Not cheap, but they will last for years. We have some that are 10+ years old and look new.

-Ryan
    Great link Ryan, lots of goodies on that site!

Thanks

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Nice site Ryan,, thx Some of the med prices are very reasonalble.

Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12