ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus books

Registered Member

Default Discus books

Hi, I am new to this forum. Glad to have found you all ......

I have been keeping freshwater fish for the past 20 years and 3 years ago started a saltwater tank too.

I have bred many types of fish over the years including angels. But the "king" of the tank is one that has always stole my heart.

Not easy to get here due to the talk about how hard they are to keep we do get some nice ones that come in the odd time or I can special order them in too if available. Many folks just don't want to fuss with our water here as it is on the hard side. I did fuss when breeding my angels only to end up killing more than I could keep alive. I then turned to just leaving well enough alone and then I had more angels than I knew what to do with. Sometimes things are just best left alone.....

The breeding thing is in my past and I just enjoy keeping beautiful fish now. I started with my very first Discus about 2 1/2 years ago. Made some mistakes along the way and it cost me my beautiful fish.

This time around, I hope to not repeat those mistakes and so far all is well and I have a young healthy beautiful ( IMO) Discus. It was labelled blue snakeskin but I will be posting pictures to get the right strain it is.

I would like some opinions about a few books, below are the names of them I would greatly appreciate any and all info about them if they are good or not.

The Guide To Owning Discus
    T.F.H. Discus
    Barrons Discus Fish

Glad to have found you all and now I can read some more of your posts.

Palue........

Default Re: Discus books

Welcome to Simply!

Sorry I can't help you with the books but, the amount of info available in this site surpases and print materials I have ever come about, plus the info is always up-to-date.

If I was to give you ane advice, it would be to contact any of the breeders that are recomended in the site, they are all great people, have great fish, and are always willing to help.

Keep posting your questions, and people will answer readely, better than any "static" print.

Good Luck!

Real Name
    Walter

I have my reviews of a few discus books on my website. Hope that helps.

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/index.html

Walter
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Palue View Post
    I would like some opinions about a few books, below are the names of them I would greatly appreciate any and all info about them if they are good or not.
    Not familiar with the ones you list.
    Here are some of the serious books and reviews of each.

Link

Real Name
    Jim

IMO, the most helpful book is the one written by Andrew Soh, I believe it's called the Naked Truth (I remember only because Paris Hilton wrote a book with the same name ). A lot of good info instead of tales of the trip to the Amazon and Discus pics.. don't get me wrong, I enjoyed those type books as well, but not real informative especially if you're just starting out.

Another good one was written by Manfred Goebels (spelling?) Don't remember the name of that one but if I find it I'll post it.

Success with Discus by Jim Quarles is good too.

Check with DiscusGeo and Billeagan as they both usually have good books available.

hth

Jim

Banned

There are some good books available out there, and I think owning a few is essential in raising and maintaining discus. Besides the above mentioned books, Dick Au's - "Back to Nature-Guide to Discus", Yeng's "Penang Discus" 2nd edition, Mayland's "Adventures with Discus", as well as Wattley's books are all good ones. Bleher's new book-"Bleher's Discus" vol.1 (a bit pricey), has some good info.

Mat