ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Potassium Permanganate

Default Re: Potassium Permanganate

Diskuz,
    Glad to hear that all went well. 3.5 hrs will still do alot of good. Even when I've had to cut treatments off at 1hr they respond in a possitive way afterwards.
    Length of treatment can very depending on a number of things. I've had to go a full 21 day treatment at times, and at others a 7 to 10 day worked. I would do at least another two treatments at 3 days apart.
    Kathy,
    Dechlored water will definitly cut your treatment very short. If you can't age your water so dechlor isn't needed, you can either wait 48 hrs after the last wc with dechlor to do the PP treatment, or do very small WC's for a couple of days before the treatment to keep dechlor at a minimum while PP is being used.

Kacey

Graham,
    I think we both answered at the same time.
    Discuz,
    While PP is a wider spectrum killer of bugs, if you do have flukes for sure then prazi is also a very good way to go. It's much safer, less stressfull to the fish and easier to use. I don't know about the leftover flukes on Koi with PP, so I can't comment on that.

Kacey

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Graham,
    I think we both answered at the same time.
    Discuz,
    While PP is a wider spectrum killer of bugs, if you do have flukes for sure then prazi is also a very good way to go. It's much safer, less stressfull to the fish and easier to use. I don't know about the leftover flukes on Koi with PP, so I can't comment on that.

Kacey
    Another drug to use is Formalin, which is supposed to be pretty safe. For me PP is a better treatment though both because it is needed for less time and I feel it is more effective against gill flukes. Very strong aeration is needed with both drugs.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Registered Member

I prefer 35% hydrogen peroxide to PP...no need to make a solution, and it seems to be more effective. That, and it leaves no residue on the tank walls after its done.

-Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
    I prefer 35% hydrogen peroxide to PP...no need to make a solution, and it seems to be more effective. That, and it leaves no residue on the tank walls after its done.

-Ryan
    Ryan, I have been doing some reading about the use of H2O2 in treating fish, mainly food fish. What dosage do you use? and what is your methodology?

Regards,
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Banned

I'd be interested in what you do also. Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer not really much different than PP other than it adds O2 in the process...it's still capable of ''burning'' fish.

Since it's used to kill bacteria...the bacteria in our filters is also capable of being killed...35% does it real well

G

Registered Member

I'm going to try PP for the first time and I'm a little nervous. I have made up a stock solution using 1 Gal. distilled water + 40 teaspoons of PP (1 tsp ~ 7 grams, a little less than the 285 grams called for). I will spend the rest of the day cleaning/vacuuming the tank and won't feed until I start the treatment.

Will a 50% WC suffice after the treatment is over or should I get another water storage container and have that ready?

Also, in the tank are 3 BN plecos and 2 Gold Nugget plecos. Will they be OK with the PP?

Scott

Banned

Anytime that you're using PP have lots of O2 in the tank and a bottle of De-chlor or Peroxide around to neutralize it is something doesn't seen right.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234