ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'll never use PP again

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Default Re: I'll never use PP again

Quote Originally Posted by billeagan
    I will post an article here for you tonight that you can use. I use it safely in all of my tanks.

Bill

That would be extremely helpful Bill!! I will look forward to that~

Marie ~

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co
    Eartheaters are supposed to be really tough, so tough I've seen them suggested to check the cycling of a new tank.

Tina

Oh Wow! The ones you got yesterday at Capitol? OMG Tina! I am so sorry babe ~ I just got your last message now ~

We need to talk~

Marie ~

Tina, so sorry to hear they did not make it. Maybe it was a combo of the stress of just being bought by you and then doing a PP treatment? Too much for them?

Today is another day. Hope you feel better and don't be too hard on yourself, kay?

.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Banned

The dosage is just so touchy. I thought I'd be OK since I have a degree in chemistry and was being so careful on the color (was even lighter than Kenny's tank).
    Tina the dose that you gave them, was that based on colour alone??? and not on a weighed mg per gallons or grams per hundreds of gallons.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Kindredspirit
    Oh Wow! The ones you got yesterday at Capitol? OMG Tina! I am so sorry babe ~ I just got your last message now ~

We need to talk~

Marie ~
    No the other lfs. These guys were so hard to find and I got the nicest ones in the tank too. Hopefully they'll have the others, but they were a little more ratty looking .

Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    Tina the dose that you gave them, was that based on colour alone??? and not on a weighed mg per gallons or grams per hundreds of gallons.

G
    Yes, just color, yeah, I know very inaccurate and imprecise, but I thought with years of bench chemist titration experience and a good color eye I would be fine, I was wrong. . I didn't take long for them to react negatively either, they went downhill very fast. .

Tina

Banned

Ouch...As you now know that was/is a recipe for disaster and on one should ever dose anything based on anything but an actual measurement in grams or CC's...In PP's case using an ORP meter is the ideal way.......

The strenght/ppm of the PP dose could have been anything...the amount of organics in the tank, the DOC levels the number of fish all could have affected the dose level in the 1st few minutes. The ORP probably went right through the roof and anything above 700mv would have done a job on them.

Dose levels of up to 4ppm are fine for extended periods but above that it becomes a dip and a fish shouldn't be expoused for more than a few minutes and even then gills are often brunt.

A microscope is the best way to deal with new fish.........

Don't feel too bad we've all been there

G

Eartheaters are supposed to be really tough, so tough I've seen them suggested to check the cycling of a new tank.

Tina
    This may not be of help now but, I believe that most eartheaters have very strict demands on water quality, even more than wild discus. Certainly not a fish to be classified as tough or suggested for cycling tanks.
    Satanoperca jurupari seems to be the toughest and still succumbs to excess in ammonia, nitrite or nitrate very easily. AT least this has been my experience.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Thanks ed and Graham, yes, live and learn .

Seems there is some confusion on what type of fish I did this on - it is one of the OTHER south american cichlids. At least I wasn't confident enough to try it on my discus! Found a site with some good pictures of what these guys would have grown into:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...c72ef5e2a3a587

Still pretty bummed. DH was really nice this morning after my double hit fish fiasco yesterday. He asked if I was OK and would come to work this morning.

Tina

Tina,

I am so sorry for your loss. I know you think it is your fault but as mentioned earlier they were new fish and it may have just been too much for them. It sure hits hard when things like this happen. Keep your chin up, I know things are going to turn around for you.

Diane

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by azzndude2005
    Do you guys know where to buy PP?
    I'm assuming everyone is talking about potassium permanganate, since I just turned one of my tanks deep purple, when I was sterilizing/cleaning it. It's a common chemical for removing rust in well water containers, which I found at a local hardware store (Ace Hardware) along with Muriatic acid, which can be found in the pool treatment section.

Tina~ So sorry to hear of your loss.

Take care,
    Audrey
    A healthy discus tank is like a finely tuned engine...but with a hell of a lot more oil changes!

Thanks guys for the kind words...

I admit I really messed up big time and should have known better, if anything good has come of this it is for others to learn from my mistake and not to repeat it (be more careful, follow the concentration to a T and never take your eyes off the fish!).

Tina

Well my bad luck isn't completely over yet...

Wasn't feeling well at work, (thought it was bad coffee and little sleep, but seems there is a tummy thing going around in the office). Stopped off at the place I got the fish from and of course since it's my fault they died, no warranty. They had 3 of the fish left and since they were a little tattered in the fins, I did get a discount on them. When I got home I heard a terrible noise coming down the hall, seems my Eheim 2229 that is on my bowfront had lost its prime and was making a terrible racket! (was OK this morning so sometime in the last 5 hours, don't think it was after my water change last night). Was able to get it to prime again and did a quick water change (again I'm feeling under the weather). Did a quick formalin bath on the replacement fish (not taking any chances this time 15 minute bath) and put them in their tank.

Anybody got a good exorcist, rabbit's foot, or...?

Tina

Well my bad luck isn't completely over yet...

Anybody got a good exorcist, rabbit's foot, or...?

Tina
    I'm wondering if you've had an argument with someone lately or if someone is wishing you bad luck!
    I know it sounds odd, but..... I've been told by some santeros and and is folklore around my family that a cup of water is placed under your bed or in front of your door (at least somewhere in your room)to trap impurities and bad wishes and even prevent from bad spirits, but you have to throw it away in the morning( the spiritual way of doing water changes).

I've also been told that when you keep pets as fish and they start dying for no reason or dying in high numbers that someone is asking the spirits to harm you or your family.

Then again, this could all be sayings of the older folks.

Just pray to the and be strong its just bad luck, tomorrow it will all be better!
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast