AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is This?

Default What Is This?

fp.jpg
    My Red Turqouise just pooped this out, it appears to be clear in color, and about 3 inches long. Could someone please tell me what it is? If it is worms, what would be the best medication to use.

Default Re: What Is This?

Anybody out there??????????

Picture isn't that good on my monitor here. You sure it is 3" long?? If so I'd guess at a tapeworm - best guess.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Usually, tapeworms change shape rather dramatically after they are expelled, and usually, only segments get expelled. The segments tend to curl up on the edges and curl in, making them look like a bit of boiled squid rings.

If this thing is moving, and with a close look is segmented (segments about 1-3 mm each) then it is a tapeworm.

Treat with Prazi.

What are you feeding your fish? Sometimes, feces can look pretty strange from some sorts of food. I couldn't guess what could cause this in a healthy adult discus, but it could happen.

I feed beef heart, brine shrimp, flakes, and they had blood worms that morning, so maybe that was the reason for the clear poo.

Registered Member

Lora,
    Like Al and Paul (who are btw toe of the best on this site) I am really unable to hazzard a guess from your picture, which is probably also why you got so few replies. I took yur picture and ran it through PhotoShop and it does appear segmented to me, which means Paul and Al's prognosis is probably correct and Prazi would be your best bet. If you can posibly get your fish to eat Prazi laced food it will be more effective.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

fp1.jpgHere's a better picture. I was under the impression that worms were white, not clear as this is. That's why I am asking about it.

Registered Member

i can't see a pic
    kdazz

Ok, can see it now thanks. Looking at it, don't think its a worm now, looks more like clear fecal matter. To confirm check each end for a 'head' or similar. If it is fecal matter then it is inicative of internal parasite/flagellates. In that case metro would be good, panacur in food could also be an option. It looks jelly like, can you confirm that too?
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

It is clear and jelly-like, no head at either end, one of the ends did have a bit of normal looking fecal matter.

Registered Member

Yes, I'd proceed as Paul indicates, if the fish are not eating well, are dark, and seem to be a bit listless. If they seem fine except for this one thing, I might wait and see if it happens again. With beef heart and blood worms, I'd expect dark, compact feces, not something like this.

Larry, thanks for your confidence, (LOL). I must say that the reason I can speak with authority about tapeworms, and alot of other things, is because my Discus have had everything at one time or another, so I've had lots of experience with nearly everything that can go wrong.

Hopefully, I've learned a thing or two, so I won't have to go through all that stuff again real soon!!
    Last edited by Alight; 06-06-2006 at 11:54 PM.

Registered Member

Hi, that is not a tape worm but you should do a prazi treatment OR metro with high heat(90F).hth.
    Last edited by crimson cross; 06-07-2006 at 10:13 AM.

I would treat with metronidazole

like 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gal (~400 mg) every day right after WC, for 5 day, at 92 F
    FrancK
    2018 year of the big tank!!!.

Lora, ok if the fish is showing other signs of illness, like Al says (dark, listless, clamped fins etc..) then I'd treat straight away. If the fish is otherwise fine and eating normally I would just keep an eye on it, check the bottom of the tank regularly too. I wouldn't rush into medicating for now. If more appears then we will need to treat then.

Larry, thanks for the compliment, but like Al I've learnt the hard way!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Real Name
    Jim

My first thought was an expelled intestinal lining, but, it did look like a little tapeworm head on the right hand side. The close up doesn't include the head, but, the segment that does show looks like an intestinal lining... to me at least Metro, high heat, and lots of clean fresh water daily IMO

Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast