AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At what age can you start using PP on fry?

Default Re: At what age can you start using PP on fry?

Mat,
    Of course I can't be sure it's flukes as I don't have a microscope. But I've done two Parasite Clear treatments so far and have one more to go. The deaths did stop after the first treatment of hyde but I didn't follow thru based on my previous experience where one treatment was enough for fry. So based solely on their reaction to parasite meds I'd say it was flukes. I think that sometimes the fry react very strongly to flukes due to their small size, even tho there isn't really a full blown infestation. Then one dose gets the number of flukes down low enough that, while not eradicated, they are at a level that the fry can tolerate. This is purly speculation of course.

Kacey

Banned

Wink Re: At what age can you start using PP on fry?

Of course. lol

Registered Member

Well, I actually did a PP treatment this morning on my one month old fries. The concentration was 10 ppm lasting for 15-20 min. That worked fantastic. All of my fries survived and they appeared more active than before treatment. You can actually see some sticky mucus floating in the water after treatment, which could be the dead bodies of gill fluke mixed with gill secretions. During treatment, make sure an extra aeration should be supplied in the tank and the aeration should continue for 24 hrs after treatment to make sure the fries can receive enough oxygen to survive. Quench pp with Vitamine C solution after 15-20 min and do 50% water change after the treatment. Add a bunch of salt in the water after treatment will help the fish recover faster from the medication. Usually, they will appear really weak right after the pp is quenched and it will take them 2 hours to fully recover from it.

I think pp is a really good choice when you are facing both gill fluke and bacterial infection.

Just my two cents.

10ppm is pretty high for 1mo old fry, even if it was for a short period of time. Let us know how they do over the next few days.

Kacey

Banned

Actually 10ppm for any size fish is a risk....the odds are the gills will be brunt and possibly some fin tips.

It use to be done a fair amount within the koi hobby then someone did a microscopic study of the gill lamallae and they were hyperplasic and brunt...that was the end of that practise.

kacey get a scope...great thing to have

Registered Member

They are doing fine after 24 hours. Eating nonstop and swimming all the time. I tried lower concentration at 2 ppm for longer time and it wasn't as effective in killing gill fluke. Although 10 ppm is going to burn part of the gill tissue while killing fluke, the thing we can do is to give the fish more than enough oxygen and time so that they can recover from the burnt and regenerate their gill tissue. I don't think pp treatment is going to have longterm negative effect on the heath of fish or human. I prefer pp to formalin because I know that too much exposure to formalin is going to cause human cancer.

I'm working on it Graham. On a budget so I've been checking the UW public surplus sales.
    Kacey

Banned

Although 10 ppm is going to burn part of the gill tissue while killing fluke, the thing we can do is to give the fish more than enough oxygen and time so that they can recover from the burnt and regenerate their gill tissue.
    Genek the idea is to kill the parasite and not affect the patient while doing it. Allowing gill lamellae or fins to be brunt is not good husbandry IMO....in fact it's cruel and possibly lethal to the fish IMO. It can also leave the fish wide open for secondary infections to set in.

There has been some research done on koi that have had excessive PP treatments.Their gill lamellae have shown extra cell thickness and clubbing, not exactly healthy looking tissue.

You would probably have to drink Formalin weekly, which is 37% formaldehyde in water, to be able to develop cancer. Formaldehyde is a possible carcinogen but it takes extended exposure to even come close to those levels. Generally it's mixed with Malachite Green, because they work better together than separately,and it is a known carcinogen.

Now while PP won't kill you it quite capable of burning eyes, nostrils, lungs if inhaled....extreme caution should used when handling the powder.

F&MG is much better at killing flukes than PP is and it won't burn the crap out of their gills.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Genek the idea is to kill the parasite and not affect the patient while doing it. Allowing gill lamellae or fins to be brunt is not good husbandry IMO....in fact it's cruel and possibly lethal to the fish IMO. It can also leave the fish wide open for secondary infections to set in.

There has been some research done on koi that have had excessive PP treatments.Their gill lamellae have shown extra cell thickness and clubbing, not exactly healthy looking tissue.

You would probably have to drink Formalin weekly, which is 37% formaldehyde in water, to be able to develop cancer. Formaldehyde is a possible carcinogen but it takes extended exposure to even come close to those levels. Generally it's mixed with Malachite Green, because they work better together than separately,and it is a known carcinogen.

Now while PP won't kill you it quite capable of burning eyes, nostrils, lungs if inhaled....extreme caution should used when handling the powder.

F&MG is much better at killing flukes than PP is and it won't burn the crap out of their gills.

While I definately agree with this, I also think if what Genek is doing is working for him/her then they should continue doing it. Personally I never dose stronger than 4 ppm PP for any fish, but I do keep them in a PP bath longer than most folks do, at least 6 hours. I would definately be afraid to dose fry at more than 2 ppm Potassium Permanganate, but I tend to be very cautious when using medications. I tried using Formalin but it did not work for me at all. I was using 1 drop per gallon which I found out later (from Al (Brewmaster)) was about 1/2 the required dosage, so I may revisit the Formalin treatment next time my fish develop gill flukes.
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Banned

Sorry I can't agree with you PB. The protocol that Genek is using IMO is plain wrong...that you should think that he should continue to use it is wrong also IMO

G

Registered Member

How do you know the PP protocol is wrong? I have been doing this more than a dozen times and never get it wrong. I am going to keep doing this in the future. Each time my fish shows signs of gill fluke, I treat them with PP. I have not lost a single fish due to pp treatment.
    And how do you know formalin and malachite green don't do any harm to fish? I have been doubting that malachite green might be the cause of increased mutation rates in the fries. This thing is suspected to cause this kind of problem not just cancer. As for the formalin, it is a volatile and reactive chemical reagent that will easily go into air and react with the proteins in your body after being inhaled. It has been used to modify the lysine residues in the proteins in biochemical studies. I mean everything has its bright and dark sides. We want to make use of the bright side and try to avoid the dark side. For the formalin protocol, I will strongly recommend fully ventilation in the room during treatment to avoid inhaling of this nasty chemical. If you are using malachite green in combination with formalin, please wear glove to avoid touching it. Otherwise it will be absorbed through your skin.

Again, every chemical has its side effects. Before applying them, we always need to think twice if it is necessary and learn as much as possible about the properties of the chemical itself.

Gene
    Last edited by genek; 01-15-2007 at 01:22 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by genek View Post
    How do you know the PP protocol is wrong? I have been doing this more than a dozen times and never get it wrong. I am going to keep doing this in the future. Each time my fish shows signs of gill fluke, I treat them with PP. I have not lost a single fish due to pp treatment.
    And how do you know formalin and malachite green don't do any harm to fish? I have been doubting that malachite green might be the cause of increased mutation rates in the fries. This thing is suspected to cause this kind of problem not just cancer. As for the formalin, it is a volatile and reactive chemical reagent that will easily go into air and react with the proteins in your body after being inhaled. It has been used to modify the lysine residues in the proteins in biochemical studies. I mean everything has its bright and dark sides. We want to make use of the bright side and try to avoid the dark side. For the formalin protocol, I will strongly recommend fully ventilation in the room during treatment to avoid inhaling of this nasty chemical. If you are using malachite green in combination with formalin, please wear glove to avoid touching it. Otherwise it will be absorbed through your skin.

Again, every chemical has its side effects. Before applying them, we always need to think twice if it is necessary and learn as much as possible about the properties of the chemical itself.

Gene
    How do I know it's wrong..Duh....if you're bruning the gills of your fish and at 10ppm you, are then it's wrong

I see no evidence of you using a microscope so your signs of flukes are a guess at best and you're shotgunning at a lethal dose of PP hoping for the best...Bull S*** luck that you haven't killed your fish yet

Any chemical, be that F&MG or PP is capable of doing harm to the fish ...Use enough of any one them and they'll kill your fish.... why dip your fish in a known lethal concentration...wrong in my mind

Now if I was using straight formaldehyde and I have at times, then I might use a mask...MG, gloves for sure..up until the fire I had both here as I mixed my own...........but an off the shelf product I don't think so.......... The concentrations that are in them are not even close to being toxic. Formalin is pretty safe in comparsion to formaldehyde ...two different things really

Anyway I still think that your dip is totally uncalled for and cruel to the fish

G

Registered Member

Now I tell you the definition of formalin:
    ---------------------------------
    Formaldehyde

General
    Common name formaldehyde
    IUPAC name formaldehyde
    Systematic name methanal
    Other names formalin, formol,
    methyl aldehyde,
    methylene oxide
    Molecular formula CH2O
    SMILES C=O
    Molar mass 30.03 g/mol
    Appearance colourless gas
    CAS number [50-00-0]
    --------------------------
    This is taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

You can check it out yourself. I am not going to waste my time with someone rude. Your reply is kind of personal offence instead of discussing.

No more replies.
    Last edited by genek; 01-15-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Banned

Gene that's very good, you posted what pure formaldehyde is....if you had kept reading you would have found that Formalin is a 37% solution of that gas, formaldehyde and water with some methanol thrown in.

Then if you add 15 grams of Malachite Green to each gallon of it you'll have a typical off the shelf parasite meds like Quick Cure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12