ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus has fat upper lip need advice.

Registered Member

Default Discus has fat upper lip need advice.

I have a very nice pair of discus. They just layed eggs and where fanning them well. The first time they ate them up on day 2. I covered the eggs this time with plastic screen. The eggs turned white and slimy. But the dad has gotten a fat upper lip. Does not look damaged but it has over doubled in size. Could it just be from the screen? I hae not really seen him pick at the screen but I may have missed an aggressive attemp to remove it. Could it be anything else? Like I say the eggs went bad so I washed the pot off and placed it back in the tank. He still eats and all just a big lip.

Thanks for any help.

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus has fat upper lip need advice.

Chances are he tried to remove the screen and banged his lip. I'd consider some salt, but other than that, I'd leave him and keep a close eye. Discus heal very well and that sort of think should not be a problem.

If there are signs of infection or fungus, then other measures should be considered.

HTH,

John

PS. I had a fish really gouge himself on a piece of driftwood - a deep, angry gash - and it healed completely in a little over 2 weeks.

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus has fat upper lip need advice.

Thanks,
    I dosed the tank with some salt already figuiring that would aid the healing process. I will keep an eye out for any fungus ect..

Thanks again