AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Any Discus breeders in New Zealand?

Default Any Discus breeders in New Zealand?

Please contact me if you breed discus in New Zealand,
    Haeri Mai,
    Luca.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Re:Any Discus breeders in New Zealand?

Luca,
    You pull a few strings with immigration and get My Wife, Her Parents and Myself permanent residence in NZ and I'll breed Discus! Of course I'm not guaranteeing any viable fry as I have a really poor track record with that.

When I was in New Zealand in March I checked out every fish store I came accross. Never saw any Discus in any of them. Do you find them there in fish stores? What part of NZ do you live in? I checked out the National Aquarium in Hastings while I was there. It was okay. It's focus was on sea life.

Real Name
    Peter

Never mind, I see that you are in Hamilton. That is the one major city we missed (we hit every sizeable city). We went Auckland to Coramandel, Coramandel to Rotorua, Rotorua to Taupo, Taupo to Napier/Hastings, Napier/Hastings to Wellington. So we missed Hamilton and New Plymouth. Never got over to that side of the North Island.

Hey ODwyer,
    Tauranga (my home town) has the nicest discus in a fish shop i've ever seen. Saw it there recently, it's a huge fish (not sure what type you call it) but it was so nice, going for $200!! Hamilton has one fish shop with discus which are all pretty runty or have black dots all over them I thought Auckland would have some but i haven't checked them out yet, hope to soon!
    hmmmm immigration laws could be a tough one
    Luca

Real Name
    Peter

Tauranga is another place that we missed. Is it beautiful there? Throughout my journeys, some folks said that I missed a very beautiful area, some said Tauranga wasn't anything special. I had wanted to go there, but it just didn't fall in with our leg from Coramandal Peninsula down to Rotorua and Taupo.

I've already started my immigration process. I'm just 5 points shy of being able to come over (ie...a job..which NZ would allow 6 to 9 months for me to secure if I wanted to take such a chance). My wife is having doubts though, and favors a move to a southern US location with 4 seasons. So we've been looking at places like the Ozarks Mts, Great Smokey Mts, Southern Appalacians Mts, Blue Ridge Mts, etc...

I only spent 1 1/2 days in Auckland (had a job interview Te Atatu, just NorthEast of Auckland), so I didn't see much. I landed the day after the Americas cup, so we stayed around the downtown, university & harbour areas.

Ohhh Tauranga is delightful. It is in the pride and joy ( i think) of the region named "Bay of Plenty" (BOP). This area includes Rotorua and Taupo which i see you have visited. This area is defined by volcanoes, it is shaped like a V, the volcanic plateau (just for some pointless info lol)
    I grew up in Tauranga so i guess i'm biased but i think it is very beautiful. We live 10mins away from Mount Maunganui which you can climb is right beside Mount Maunganui town so the views are spectacular. The Mount is also a famous beach in New Zealand and gathers thousands over new and summer (the same time for us). Oh the beach looks like Baywatch at this time too lol. Another pointless point: In the 50s some American volcanologists came over to Mount Mauganui and ruled that there would be an imminent eruption in the pacific somewhere causing gigantic tida waves to take out what was Mount Maunganui. So land prices went well down as you can imagine and everyone fled. 50 years later there's still no sign of a tidal wave (touchwood) and small sections of land are selling for millions. Hehe, life huh.
    Goodluck with your job prospects,
    Luca.