AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metronidazole tablets

Default Re:Metronidazole tablets

For Metro I use 400mg per 10g, every 8 hours. I do a large water change once a day. I get the temp as high as possible, up to 92ºF. I dose the tank 3x a day for 3 days and then stop for a week. If the fish are better I leave them alone, otherwise do it again.

Dave

Brad..the filler and binders won't dissolve and that's what you're seeing. Did you do an assay on the water in the jar you shook the pills in to see if Metro was in the water. I've used these pills for 13 years as needed and its always worked for me. Metro is absorbed through the gills and gets into the fish as they ingest water, just like the calcium in the water they need for bone growth. It gets in them no question. The dosage and what might or might not be resistant is the question.
    These are not vet pills. Call Cary and ask him. Now go away.

That very well may be so. The pills I got, however, were from a vet and that's why I brought up the points I did. If there are binders in the pills, then are there actually 500 mg of metro in the pills, or is the 500 mg including the binders and such? By the way Rus, you really need to chill out. No reason for you to have such an attitude with honest questions. That would only make me, as a consumer, more weary of purchasing from a vendor.

brad

Registered Member

Brad, i get pills from a vet too, and if it is 500mg- that is the medication amount, not the total with binders! Frank

I'm not a vendor . Now please..go away.

Bill: I edited your post - do we really need to discus your bodily functions on this thread?

Brad: Don't ask him any more questions

Carol

Its was a Monty Python line from "Holy Grail" Just a joke.. I wouldn't know which direction anyway!! Wow..the rath of the censor.. I'm humbled.

Registered Member

;D

Registered Member

I deleted my "monty python" post because clearly my attempt to lighten up this discussion has failed. Understandably so. I guess sometimes things really need to be said for the benefit of all disus lovers.

The post really did not belong here anyway.

Best of luck to all invovled...

May your fishies smell of wild hickory nuts.

Daniel

I was concernd when I first used Metro pills too. I have some 250mg pills and they break up in water very quickly but there is a lot of powdery residue all over the tank bottom after I've dosed a tank. Possibly there's more because I am dosing at 400mg per 10g whereas DiscusRus sounds like he's using much less. I didn't know if the white crap was binder for the drug or the drug itself but in the past I have found that pure Metro doesn't dissolve that well so I assumed some of it was Metro. I just finished treatment on a pair with these pills and they responded quickly and their health improved over the 3 day treatment so I'm going to assume that the white crap on the tank bottom is not an appreciable amount of the drug.

Dave

Hi Dave,
    I use a 500 mg tab for 20 gallons. Metronidazole is very very water soluble. It comes in gel forms to use for certain skin and vaginal infections and that gel is water based. Metronidazole will penetrate what's called the "blood brain barrier" which is quite important in medicine..not all drugs do. It's excreted in breast milk. All this to say that Metronidazole is very soluble in the aquarium and that it probably penetrates into the fish in every way imaginable. If it will cross the blood brain barrier, I know it is absorbed by gills. Its documented freqently that it does as well.
    If its a pill that people take, you can bet its soluble in water to at least some degree.
    I guess that binders and fillers in the pills may be water insoluble by design to give the pills a longer shelf life.

Carol,
    as much as i respect you, I have overstepped no boundaries and therefore have no self-imposed limits on the questions I ask in an attempt to gain more knowledge about medicines.

Rus,
    You're wrong about the solubility of metronidazole. It is not water soluble and will only sit on the bottom of your tank. I did 400 mg/10 gallons with metronidazole and it didn't help my fish. Dimetronidazole was developed as a kin to metronidazole. In fact, it does the exact same thing, it was just developed to be water soluble for aquaria usage.

I'm looking at this thread from two angles. One, I wouldn't want to recieve something that I expected to do something different than what it does. If this is, in fact, not dimetronidazole, then unless your fish eat it off the tank bottom for fun, then it will do nothing. I think everyone should know what they are really getting when they purchase something, even if it means someone else here makes a little less money off of sales. Two, I'm curious as to what he has really is. Maybe it is dimetronidazole, although the only dimetro I've ever heard of comes in powder form. That's not to say it doesn't exist. I'm just a high school kid trying to learn and yes, I will admit that I have a much higher level of intelligence than most all adults and a maturity level that rivals them. Intellectually....well...this isn't a rant about me so i'll leave it at that. However, I am frankly irritated with Rus' austere ways and lack of coherence to answer my honest questions in a civil manner. I was initially planning on buying a good number of these tablets if they are indeed what he said they were, but now I am fairly confident that I will take my business elsewhere. This is a forum, with the goal of learning and i will continue to seek knowledge in the same manner I have been. If Rus decides to no longer respond to my questions, I just hope that someone else will. That's all I ask.

Brad

Registered Member

But Brad, I did respond to you. I have used these tablets, and told you the result. Yes, maybe dimet does disolve easier in water, but the Met does too. And the Met is easier on the bio system and if you give it to blackworms for food. I do not think Rus likes you. Maybe because you are so damn intelligent! JMO- Frank

frank...no need to pick on me because I'm smart and severely lacking in the common sense department...

But seriously, all I know is that I've used metro with no success and dimetro with success and I've heard the same from others, including Cary, who originally pointed out to me that that's probably why my metro treatments weren't working.

Brad

Ok..whatever you say Brad. I guess my year of pharmacology in medical school, my 15 years of prescribing the drug both IV, pill form and gell form are no match for your knowledge. The PDR is wrong to I suppose. I'll notify them..they may want to get in touch with you to see if you have any more knowledge that they need to know. Now once again, go away.

Registered Member

:-X

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast