AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What happens if your discus pair up and lay eggs, but you don't want to raise the fry

Registered Member

Default What happens if your discus pair up and lay eggs, but you don't want to raise the fry

What happens if your discus pair up and lay eggs, but you don't want to raise the fry?. That's the question. I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of separating them and raising the fry. What do you do?

Default Re: What happens if your discus pair up and lay eggs, but you don't want to raise the

In a community tank the problem takes care on itself. Somebody will eat the eggs or the fry or if the water parameters are not quite good they will turn white and not hatch. Then the parents will clean up.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Default Re: What happens if your discus pair up and lay eggs, but you don't want to raise the

Just wipe the eggs off the substrate. However.. They will continue to try and spawn multiple times until they get tired of it.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Just wipe the eggs off the substrate. However.. They will continue to try and spawn multiple times until they get tired of it.
    Or do what Al said.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Willie

You can stop them from spawning by lowering the temperature to 77F.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

But wouldnt that risk them getting sick?

Real Name
    Brian

What is the TDS of your water? Have any ever hatched? If your water is hard then they most likely won't hatch.