ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Using your brain when treating your fish....

Default Using your brain when treating your fish....

I have to say that this trend of stupidity in fish care is becoming more and more alarming. We often blame social media for bad information.I know I do But maybe its time to also blame the hobbyist. Seriously who would feel comfortable dumping some unknown cocktail into their tank simply because some "influencer" on a social media site, you tube channel or website recommends. I know theres a alot of gullible people in the world.. "theres a sucker born every minute" is sadly true. But come on on people. That grey matter between your ears has a purpose...use it, Don't go and just blindly follow advice, take some time to read and learn things yourself. You might ask why the rant? I just spent sometime researching a product someone asked me about.

Heres the Product...

garbage.jpg

On the surface this looks like a very professional product... you can even go to a website .https://www.aquascapeinc.com The company is legit, and the products are carried by many distributors.

The claim...

Ulcer & Bacterial Treatment – 8.8 oz / 250 G

Aquascape Ulcer & Bacterial Treatment is used to treat bacterial infections and ulcerations often resulting from parasites or physical damage. Common bacterial infections include fin rot, open sores, and ulcers in ornamental pond fish. Common symptoms for these issues include open wounds, fin damage, or bulging eyes. It is extremely important to resolve these issues as soon as possible. Many issues can be linked back to improper handling, poor water quality, or the introduction of a sick or stressed fish. It is important to accurately dose any treatment. Please take time to calculate the water volume in your pond before adding this or any other water treatment. Discontinue the use of UV clarifiers/sterilizers or chemical filtration, including the use of carbon, zeolite, or ion exchange resins. Ensure proper oxygenation during treatment. Before adding any medication to your pond or holding system, make sure you verify all water parameters and rectify any issues before treatment. One 8.8-ounce container treats 4,875 gallons of water.

SKU: 81038 Category: Fish Treatments
    The problem... absolutely no ingredients listed anywhere. The msds is as bogus as it gets.. https://www.aquascapeinc.com/downloa...8aAhFZEALw_wcB

basically its a white powder

and people are dumping into their ponds and hospital set ups . The Reviews on Amazon are telling.

what is it? NO ONE KNOWS. My best guess incidentally is this product is Chloramine T..If it is, the MSDS is total BS. Not something I would use for..Common bacterial infections include fin rot, open sores, and ulcers in ornamental pond fish. Common symptoms for these issues include open wounds, fin damage, or bulging eyes .

So my question is this.. Why would you use something like this? I don't have that answer. I would not spend a fortune on my fish and blindly follow someones recommendations on a medication or treatment that I do not even know the ingredients of... WOULD YOU?
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Using your brain when treating your fish....

Looks like it's one of those "Organic" products which basically does nothing but perhaps smell good lol. file:///C:/Users/husba/Downloads/Ulc...-SDS-81038.pdf.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Looks like it's one of those "Organic" products which basically does nothing but perhaps smell good lol. file:///C:/Users/husba/Downloads/Ulc...-SDS-81038.pdf.
    Pat
    Pat it may want you to think that by the msds but the reviews indicate its probably an oxidizer.

This product is a koi killer.
    Reviewed in the United States on August 1, 2021
    I used this product to treat some minor fin rot on a 24 inch Hirenaga Sanke koi that I've had for 4 years. Anyone who raises koi know that a butterfly koi's tail get very long at this size. Medication was done in a 300 gallon tub with 75% pond water and 25% aged water. All water went through a portable water meter which is very accurate. I followed the recommended dosage and application of medication at 5ml per 125 gals of water diluted prior to dosing with strong aeration. In fact I used 5ml for a 150 gallons of water just to be safe. Water temperature was 72 degrees F that day and drops to 68 early morning. I could not believe what I saw the next morning when I checked on the fish. The medication had completely stripped the fish of it's slime coat which many of you know that the slime coat is essential for any fishes health. I immediately did a 50% water change but the koi died that evening. In hind sight I should have heeded the review warnings of the low negative feedbacks. I will never again purchase any Aquascape products. Good luck if you use this product.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

People just want solutions. Most have no clue what’s wrong. Most get their meds from the people at the chain stores. So many of these meds state “change water”. That’s where start with any problem. Next add salt.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Dang Al, that was sad and you are right, read the negative reviews, not just the good ones.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jacob

I was actually just looking at that stuff the other day wondering the same thing. I found it searching for something else. Went down all the roads you did as well, Al. The MSDS is absolutely a joke.

I'm sure there's cheap koi around, but it's wild to me that someone would dump random powder to try to "treat" a fish that might be worth thousands of dollars.

Real Name
    Brian

Sad! The effects do sound like chloramine t, which is commonly used on koi. It can be very dangerous stuff just like PP.

Getting back to the goal of the average hobbyist, because of the influence of social media, many only want to be told what to do instead of learning and making n informed decision. Unfortunately, hobbies aren't the only downfall in this "new era"...

Real Name
    Brian

And if this is chloramine t, or has it in it, they say to add this stuff weekly. Chloramine t does not evaporate so it would accumulate, eventually oxidizing everything in the water...