ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Trying Jacks way to artificially raise fry.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Trying Jacks way to artificially raise fry.

Started this a week ago. I’ve had a pair in the 50 breeder for a few months now. They eat the eggs every time. So I’m giving Jacks way a try. I removed about 30 eggs. Put them in a Tupperware with a drop of meth blue.IMG_1767.jpg. Left them in here changing the water twice a day till wigglers. Added clean water no blue to the wigglers about 3-4 times a day till they started swimming. Than added to coffee filters floating in the 50g with parents. IMG_1766.jpg IMG_1765.jpgWill move them into a 5g soon. Started feeding bbs on the second day. As of now I’ve lost about 5 fry. I’ve got about 15-20 in each filter (2 filters). One is closer to the filter output and does seem to be doing better. No losses there yet. You can see the bbs in a clump on the side. I push them out with a pipet ever so often. So far so good. This is my second attempt. First time after a week in the filters I added them to a fry net in the parents tank. Seems the parents sucked them through the net. No holes but all gone the first day. Will reuse the fry net first in the 5g.
    The eggs in the Tupperware pic are another set of eggs from 2 in the 180. These guys also eat the eggs. I took about 30 of these. Just to see if they’re fertile and if I lose the first group I’ve got back up .

Default Re: Trying Jacks way to artificially raise fry.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Started this a week ago. I’ve had a pair in the 50 breeder for a few months now. They eat the eggs every time. So I’m giving Jacks way a try. I removed about 30 eggs. Put them in a Tupperware with a drop of meth blue.IMG_1767.jpg. Left them in here changing the water twice a day till wigglers. Added clean water no blue to the wigglers about 3-4 times a day till they started swimming. Than added to coffee filters floating in the 50g with parents. IMG_1766.jpg IMG_1765.jpgWill move them into a 5g soon. Started feeding bbs on the second day. As of now I’ve lost about 5 fry. I’ve got about 15-20 in each filter (2 filters). One is closer to the filter output and does seem to be doing better. No losses there yet. You can see the bbs in a clump on the side. I push them out with a pipet ever so often. So far so good. This is my second attempt. First time after a week in the filters I added them to a fry net in the parents tank. Seems the parents sucked them through the net. No holes but all gone the first day. Will reuse the fry net first in the 5g.
    The eggs in the Tupperware pic are another set of eggs from 2 in the 180. These guys also eat the eggs. I took about 30 of these. Just to see if they’re fertile and if I lose the first group I’ve got back up .
    Sounds like a fun set of trials Tom. At first I thought you mean't Jack Wattley's way...but now I see you mean our Jack.. Jack Agliata.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Good luck on your venture, hopefully you will be successful with this keep us posted on the progress.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes I’ll keep updating this .
    Yes Jack Agliata. He’s on Facebook a lot. Good guy trying to help on a bad site ABD.

Jack wrote a good article here on his method...

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...y-Jack-Agliata
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Yes that’s what I’m going off of .

Real Name
    Tom

Ok not going well. Lost most fry. Only 4 left. Think it may be because they are in the parents tank. Not finding a lot of dead or alive fry. Think parent are hitting the bottom of the filters. Next try I will start in the 5g. Other eggs look like they are not fertile.