AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus names

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Discus names

I know I sound like a bitter curmudgeon, but naming discus “super” “vipers” “royals” “kings” “valentine” “Meteor” etc… is an attempt to rebrand and upsell fish. What if anything can the end consumer do about it? I’d prefer domestic discus names to lose the superlatives and just state cross between a “pigeon blood and LSS” etc… I dislike the super melons, super pantheras- just name it what it is- fine LSS dots covering most of the body or pigeon blood red etc…

Is it just me? Can we stop with the BS? Is there a “jumbo” gene? Can we just say large discus and let the end user decide if they like the size/shape/color without the superlatives?

If there is a “new” line- state it, and the what makes it “new and unique”.

Rant over.

Default Re: Discus names

Mike,
    Your frustrations are not new here. The name game has been going on for ever in the hobby. Best advice I can give you is forget the fancy names.. break it down to the basics .

Its a snakeskin. Its a leopard... its a red turk .. its a blue turq.. its a. Blue diamond. Its a wild green. Its a red gold diamond. ... etc.

Its what I do because honestly at the end of the day ...thats what it is.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Mike,
    Your frustrations are not new here. The name game has been going on for ever in the hobby. Best advice I can give you is forget the fancy names.. break it down to the basics .

It’s a snakeskin. Its a leopard... its a red turk .. its a blue turq.. its a. Blue diamond. It’s a wild green. It’s a red gold diamond. ... etc.

Thank you! There are SO many names out there. Same fish
    Sometimes there is not even a picture.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

If it does not have a new name how can they justify the super price?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Discus names come in a close second to the traitorous person we all know that uses big-ly superfluous words.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    I know I sound like a bitter curmudgeon, but naming discus “super” “vipers” “royals” “kings” “valentine” “Meteor” etc… is an attempt to rebrand and upsell fish. What if anything can the end consumer do about it? I’d prefer domestic discus names to lose the superlatives and just state cross between a “pigeon blood and LSS” etc… I dislike the super melons, super pantheras- just name it what it is- fine LSS dots covering most of the body or pigeon blood red etc…

Is it just me? Can we stop with the BS? Is there a “jumbo” gene? Can we just say large discus and let the end user decide if they like the size/shape/color without the superlatives?

If there is a “new” line- state it, and the what makes it “new and unique”.

Rant over.
    No different than Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and Pontiac...
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    Discus names come in a close second to the traitorous person we all know that uses big-ly superfluous words.
    No idea what this comment even means...

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    No different than Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and Pontiac...
    Exactly my thoughts Willie.

My mental & emotional space is way to precious to let such things have a place in my life...I buy fish for how they look and could care less what the breeder or retailer calls them TBH.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

My Australian friend- big-ly refers to the 45th “president” of the USA

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    ...Best advice I can give you is forget the fancy names.. break it down to the basics .

Its a snakeskin. Its a leopard... its a red turk .. its a blue turq.. its a. Blue diamond. Its a wild green. Its a red gold diamond. ... etc.

It's far more insidious than just adding some adjectives.

A number of sellers, including some that were here, claimed fancy genetics for their fish. Some discus strains described as having "Reflection D genetics" or "carrying the O-ring gene". In fact, a discus carrying Reflection D genetics is not a Reflection D. A discus "carrying the O-ring gene" is not an O-ring discus. Then there were discus strains described as "throwbacks". Genetically, "throwbacks" just mean that the strain is unstable and you're buying fish that are not what they're supposed to be. A more accurate name for a "throwback" is cull.

Caveat emptor.

Registered Member rsawest@yahoo.com's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda

Hi Everyone, it's Linda Oi, finally back on Simply! Missed you all. Just posting about names too. Once we stray from Turq, Cobalt, Green, and Heckel, it's marketing. Even some names that purport to be names of Amazonian Lakes. The great mutations are Pigeon Blood and Blue Diamonds. Snakeskin is a turq mutation. The names that stand out to me are Angel Blue Diamond, Blue Knight, Reflection D. Yes, all Blue fish but with Wayne Ng genes/breeding. I'm not a scientist and don't know much more than basic Punnet Square genetics. Agree with Willie that the O rings don't mean anything about genes.
    Last edited by rsawest@yahoo.com; 04-30-2024 at 11:27 AM.
    It's all good.
    Linda -SOS Crew Minnesota
    Frostbite Falls Discus Club

Real Name
    Willie

And another thing!

There was a time when "Show Quality" really meant something special. Now "Show Quality" just means very big. I see "SQ" with forehead bumps, weak chins, sagging tails... The one seller I credit for never stooping to this tactic was Discus Hans. He called his gigantic fish "slabs".

Quote Originally Posted by rsawest@yahoo.com View Post
    Hi Everyone, it's Linda Oi, finally back on Simply! Missed you all. Just posting about names too. Once we stray from Turq, Cobalt, Green, and Heckel, it's marketing. Even some names that purport to be names of Amazonian Lakes. The great mutations are Pigeon Blood and Blue Diamonds. Snakeskin is a turq mutation. The names that stand out to me are Angel Blue Diamond, Blue Knight, Reflection D. Yes, all Blue fish but with Wayne Ng genes/breeding. I'm not a scientist and don't know much more than basic Punnet Square genetics. Agree with Willie that the O rings don't mean anything about genes.
    Linda! Its great seeing you on here posting! Hope all has been well with you!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images