AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Found an old image

Default Found an old image

I have been looking for this pic for along time. Its one I took with Film back in my college days. I was a dirt poor college kid working a summer job as a research assistant on a forest health project. I had recently been bit by the camera bug and wanted to take macros of insects but lacked the Gear. There was a book I found in a used book shop improvising photographic techniques for field Biologists. It described using two lens , one mounted on the camera and then the other is inverted and Taped on the camera mounted lens. I tried a bunch of combinations and finally found one that worked.

Took this photo with it using print film. then scanned on a flat bed scanner to digitize

Ccastaneus1a.jpg

We ended up sending the Ant to Harvard and it was identified as

Camponotus castaneus Chestnut Carpenter Ant. The Ant has limited range in CT and it was the northernmost collection. Ironically I have since seen at locations along the coast near RI.

Its a harmless ant , not a wood eater, and is just a really beautiful color.

Anyhow. The pic looks like it was taken through a microscope because in effect that what taping two lens together inverted creates. I still play around with this technique once in while but instead of black electric tape I use an adapter threads into the camera lens filter ring and you screw both lens on.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-26-2024 at 08:00 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Found an old image

Reminds me of "Honey I shrunk the Kids"

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Found an old image

Interesting way to take macro shots Al and nice to see the image came out super nice after being scanned.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening