ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Biohome Ultimate

Real Name
    Charlie

Default Biohome Ultimate

So I plan on getting a 90gal soon, and I’m gonna be using an fx6 as my filter. For my bio media, I want to use Biohome Ultimate, but I have heard it reduces flow rate and I know discus should have at least 4x turnover. Would I still have enough turn over with an fx6 using Biohome in a 90gal? If not, does anyone have any recommendations for a good bio media for discus? Thanks

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Biohome Ultimate

When I had a canister, I used Biohome Ultimate for filter material and a FX4 for a 75g. It did fine. No issues.

Real Name
    Tom

There nothing great about bio-home. It’s just circular cut lava rock. Pond guru is just a great salesman. Sponge does fine and holds more bacteria. Cheaper and better. Save your money don’t believe the hype . Your fx6 comes with so much sponge you won’t need anything else. But a better from of filtration would be a sump or wet/dry with a dc pump.

Real Name
    Charlie

Do you reckon I could use either Seachem matrix or those Fluval bio max?? Also would one tray of biomedia be enough in the fx6?

Real Name
    Frank

I use sponges now. In my fx4 I packed it full of BioHome then had sponges on the outside. You can do the same with Seachem. Both are fine media. Go with what you prefer or budget allows. There were times I used puri-gen. I added it to the bottom tray and filled the rest of the tray with filter media.

The sponges is what's going to capture most of your beneficial bacteria in a FX filter since it will get most of the flow that's why sponge filters are so effective. But your biohome ultimate will house some also. When I had my FX4 running it was mostly sponge inside very little media (matrix). I have now a wet/dry on my 90 and I bought brand new for less than the cost of a FX4 or FX6.
    I sized it for a 120 to have extra room and it comes with the overflow box.

https://aqualinkadp.com/product-cata...v/2010-EXT-CMP

I guess being on the other side of the pond It's easier to buy a FX6 and the are descent filters.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-22-2024 at 07:22 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Tom

What I’m saying is for a 90g just the sponge that come with the filter will be more than enough media. What they don’t tell you is the FX filters are rated on empty filters. So the more you add the slower the flow. Even the sponge that comes with it reduces flow. I used one on a 125. Filled the middle with both bio-home and matrix. Flow was greatly reduced. More so as bio$film and muck accumulated inside the filter. Removed 90% of the added media and got better flow. Eventually swithched to a wet/dry. Running a wet dry and tidal 110 on 90g now. IMG_0445.jpg

Real Name
    Jacob

Way too much attention is paid to media in filters. Sponges, as noted above, are great. But anything works. I'm not convinced it's particularly important in almost any circumstance, I know you're fairly young, but there was a time when people were using plastic pot scrubbers as filter media. I'd be plenty of people still do. You could probably do just as well with a bag of pea gravel from a hardware store. I will say that humans (myself included) seem to like being able to see pores in media because, I think, it helps us visualize "surface area", when the truth is we're talking about microscopic things and even smooth rock as wildly larger surface area than what we can "see" with our eyes.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 04-22-2024 at 10:02 AM.

My 90 surveillance photo. It will be more populated after the discus grow out, trying not to add anymore for now.

All Tanks-04222024-1157017514.jpg
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-22-2024 at 12:02 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th