ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some pictures from my neighborhood.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Some pictures from my neighborhood.

Ok getting the iso thing. 800 isoDSC_3083.jpg 6400 isoDSC_3092.jpg. Big difference! Trying small bird shots.DSC_3099.jpgDSC_3024.jpgDSC_2969.jpg. Flying is much harder!DSC_2719.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I am seeing improvement already Tom Keep it going!
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Quick question. What data chip are you guys using? Think the one I have may be outdated? It works but my son is saying the new ones do things faster? Not sure how that matters to the camera? Shoots faster?

What data chip are you guys using?
    not sure by this what you mean. Theres 2 things... A camera has whats called Firmware. Its put out by the mfg of the camera to fix bugs, and improve performance. You can check what version your camera is at in the menu for Firmware.. then go to Nikon's website and see what is the more recent version. Updating is pretty straightforward.

The other thing could be the SD card speed. Your camera can process many images at once but if the SD card is not the fastest your camera can handle, the image processing can be bogged down. Check the Nikon Site for the recommended SD cards for the camera... not all SD cards are equal.. Stick with brand names like Sandisk, Prograde Digital, Lexar etc.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

also Tom, don't forget to try the post processing..

example...

DSC_2969.jpg

some PostProcessing

DSC_2969.jpg

original
    DSC_3092.jpg

some Post processing
    DSC_3092_02.jpg

DSC_3092_03.jpg

These were simple edits, Post processing can do alot for your images..

If you don't already have something.. https://www.darktable.org/install/ it takes some work and theres easier software out there.. but darktable is what I use.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-02-2024 at 12:47 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Al. Only editing I’m doing now is whatever is available on the iPhone . Yes I’ve got to get to a computer! Think I’ve added 300 pics to my phone.must have taken 1000. DSC_3750.jpgIMG_0817.jpgIMG_0818.jpg. Got to say this is enjoyable. Got to start going to other places . Next what lens do you use on your fish? Tried a 50mm but just not right.DSC_3807.jpgDSC_3779.jpg and one of my new guys. Still growing.DSC_3782.jpg

Real Name
    Jacob

You've already come a long way by the looks of it, Tom!

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    You've already come a long way by the looks of it, Tom!
    I agree with Jacob Tom, you are doing quite well. Al is a good mentor. He mentored me a while back and perhaps still does.
    Pat

Real Name
    Tom

Ok a question about lenses. First pic is using a Tamron 150-600 camera and lens set on af.DSC_4334.jpg same pic enlarged IMG_0845.jpg. Lens was fully extended at 600. Next pic is with an older Nikon 80-400 again both set on af.DSC_4503.jpg next enlargedIMG_0847.jpg. Len fully extended to 400. Both pictures taken from the same spot same distance. Why is the 600 so much blurrier? Seems I get much better pictures with the Nikon lens. Though the reviews are all great for the Tamron. The shot is a long shot and the tamron is heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Ok a question about lenses. First pic is using a Tamron 150-600 camera and lens set on af.DSC_4334.jpg same pic enlarged IMG_0845.jpg. Lens was fully extended at 600. Next pic is with an older Nikon 80-400 again both set on af.DSC_4503.jpg next enlargedIMG_0847.jpg. Len fully extended to 400. Both pictures taken from the same spot same distance. Why is the 600 so much blurrier? Seems I get much better pictures with the Nikon lens. Though the reviews are all great for the Tamron. The shot is a long shot and the tamron is heavier.
    Tom..that lens is a beast. Much lighter than earlier 600mm lens but still very heavy and long. Hand holding a lens like that size is hard. You need to build a set of muscles that literally will not let that lens shake. Remember the talk of iso, Higher Iso help on longer lens... Faster apertures (lower numbers f stops) also help with shake. That 600mm lens at f8. Iso 800 is really capable of great results.. I absolutely love the Tammy g2 600. ... But it's a lens that takes practice like any long lens.

Won't lie.. It's really tough initially Tom. .. When I first started shooting long lens..lots of blurry pics and back aches...lots of practice. Like thousands of pics and many hours. Hang in there.. Keep practicing and try not to breath when pressing the shutter. Start at. F8. And set your iso to 6400. If images are good.. Move to a lower iso..iso 3200...then iso 1600. And then is 800.

Like discus..baby steps and learning what works.

Its worth the work in the end....both are.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-12-2024 at 10:30 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Oh and Tom..make sure the VR switch is on. Vibration reduction on long lens is critical.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Yes the VR is switched on on both lenses. On the Tamron it’s on and the second switch is on mode 3. I’ve tried mode 2 for panning but didn’t see the difference. Thing is I’ve got to check all buttons if I’m walking around. I do tend to move them. The iso I’m understanding. The f stop I also seem to accidentally move. Got to start checking that. Through the iPhone and after I download the pictures it gives me all the info on the picture. Just found this out. This is great cause now I can see where everything was IMG_0851.jpgthe f had moved to 9 in that pic. IMG_0852.jpg the f was at 10 in this one. Probably would have been better at 6 or 7. Been out almost every day for an hour or 2. So I’m getting used to carrying the 600. Went out today with the 400 and it was very light . Really happy I found that info on the pictures. Now I can see what I set at and hopefully see the differences. Ive been moving the iso higher on darker days lower on lighter. But I’ve just been deleting bad pics not knowing how the camera was set. Thanks for all the great info!!

Real Name
    Pat

Tom, you are doing great for the short time you have been shooting and Al is giving great advice. When shooting bird in flight it takes lots of practice. My best advice is if you are near the beach practice on seagulls. They make for great practice.
    Pat

Tom,
    On the d7500 you can quickly check all your settings by looking at the display On the camera back and pressing the "info" button lower left.

0513240557~2.jpg

0513240557a_HDR~2.jpg

This can also be done by pressing the Shutter button half way (lightly press).

That's all the info your camera is set at currently when shooting... Easy to check.

Those buttons also activate a mini display top of the camera that shows iso, exposure,f stop and SD card space and battery . I use the top LCD to spot check settings while shooting.

0513240607~2.jpg

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

lol yes I’ve got that . Problem before I start shooting I’ve got to do that.
    Pat yes I do practice on any other birds flying by. Shooting yesterday I realized just how heavy the 600 is. Using the 400 I was shooting a tern and following it everywhere. Not all good shots but some were and even got this interesting shot of the bird upside down or contorting itself while flying.IMG_0850.jpg some clearer shots.IMG_0854.jpgIMG_0855.jpg. Even followed this sparrow IMG_0839.jpg. Some of these pics were enlarged.
    Last edited by Iminit; 05-13-2024 at 10:58 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast