AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New beginnings

Registered Member

Default Re: New beginnings

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    Brian suggested insulation on a prior thread. I bought some at home depot for my QT tanks and the back of my stand with my sump. I use a lid for my tank that also has anubias and java ferns with a cheap LED light. They seem to grow fine. With temps that high, you will get a lot of evaporation which will be a problem when you take vacations... Love to see an update!

Do you have an amano shrimp in there to eat the algae off your plants?
    Hey Mike,

When I go on vacation, I put back both lids to minimize evaporate. I still have some because I use an overflow and humidity scapes thru it. I upgraded to a 10G ATO since last post. It works like a charm! I only have to fill the tank reservoir once a week with no lids. But it is come with a decent price tag if you want to get something that is reliable. Read too many horror stories of ATO sensors failing and spilling water all over the floor. I see it as a good investment to avoid headaches.

About the cleaning crew, I have a fairly large number of Amano, 26 in total. Not sure if there are enough but it is a start. Believe or not, they have done all right with high temps. I rescued 3 XXL ones when I tore the tank down, I purchase them back in 2021, so it is 3 years since I got them.

Also have 3 small brushy nose plecos, but they do prefer to chew the driftwood than cleaning leaves. I am thinking to introduce few more after the summer, I don’t have time to properly quarantine new fish this time of year. Perfect exercise to learn how to be patient (according to my wife not one of my strengths, go figure).
    Last edited by For100; 05-07-2024 at 03:40 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: New beginnings

Two quick pictures I just take, they come out when I feed the discus, I am sure they get their fair amount of left overs.

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_6871.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12